Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone

davejm

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not sure what's happened there, but those starting positions don't look right. I was 10th on the grid at the start, and Scoobysi was 11th.

Yeah they definitely don't look right!

EDIT: I wonder if it's based on position after the lap has started cause I binned the first corner and was in 11th pretty much right away which is what that says.

The first Sprint race was epic fun from my point of view. 

I had a very under confident start where I entered corners way too tentatively and got eaten up by the guys behind me early on.  But then I got my head down, tried really hard not to crash and started passing the fallen.  It was all a bit tortoise and the hare.   And by the end I had risen to 2nd place!  OMG.  Proper adrenaline for the last few laps as I tried to keep up a decent pace to not get caught, but also not bin it!   I was so relieved to have finished when I finally I crossed the line.  Apologies if I punctured anyone's eardrums when I shouted "Yes!" rather loudly over Discord!  And yes, I punched the air too :D

Annoyingly my ACC Highlight reel doesn't show much of the good stuff that I know was going on - but for what it's worth:

I had a 'mare in the second race, binned it on forrest on the 2nd or third lap (resulting damage was a 3min pit) went back out to try an eek a smidge of dignity, pushed way too hard and binned it up on the top, on 2 occassions during the race mis judged my position and cut people up, total write off, first race I had second in the bag but as time wore on so did my tyres, coupled with an almost empty tank and lost it on the last corner allowing valver through, for the last couple of laps I was just tiptoeing round trying mot to burn too much fuel and actually finish the race.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Ah, that sucks @Meerman. :(

Don't sweat it, that second race was one of the best online races I've ever had. I'm uploading the first 8 minutes of it, which is where all the action is. The only shenanigans after that were on the penultimate lap when a wild @SweatyTravolta appeared and spun right in front of me on the way up the mountain. Car was alright though and I was still solidly in second for the finish. :) 

I'd had a nasty knock and was driving with the wheel 90⁰ to the right for a while. At the end of the previous lap I'd looked at time left, the gap between 1st and 2nd and thought that Sharky was going to ease off and cruise to the chequered flag. I'd been driving slower around the last few bends leading up to the start/finish hoping that they'd pass me, finish the race and let me finish too with my busted ass car but oh no, Sharky wanted to showboat, crossing the line with five seconds to go.

We need a team of non racing forumites to be the race stewards who we can look to for issuing penalties and take abuse for making the wrong decisions.

I was racing balls out at the end of the first sprint race as I'd made my pit stop for repairs. I wasn't sure who was in front either racing or a lap ahead and I bombed past scoobi (I think) trying to catch the next driver in front. Luckily there was no contact. I did penetrate sneakyninja at one point going up the mountain which was my fault being too late on the brakes, but it wasn't a Turismo. 

Contact happens, and I've yet to see anything deliberate in all the races we've done. 

That pass on @sneakyninja at the bottom of the mountain in the first race though, fuckin' nailed the inside line a belter! :D

Guys, what are your thoughts on the 2x sprint race format?  Was it fun?  Shall we stick with it for the league (alongside the single races)?.

I'm thinking that we do this format every 3rd week; which means there are an equal number of Endurance vs Sprint races over the course of a championship.  It did end a little late (9:45ish), so I'm thinking that we cut qualifying to 10 minutes (just for the sprint race weekend), so I can take my time sorting out the server for the second race (so I don't make mistakes with the entry list) and leave more time for people to re-join.

So my ideas for the timing would be like this:-

• Endurance Race Weekends
    • Qualifying 8pm start, for 20 minutes, then an hour race
  • Sprint Race Weekends
    • Qualifying 8pm start, for 10 minutes, then 2x 30 minute races

Doing it like this means we will finish slightly earlier than we have been, and closer to 9:30.

... all of that said... how would you all feel about being available from 7pm to 9:45ish one night during the championship (just a one-off at this point)?  I have a bonkers idea about doing a 2.4 hours of Spa race :D  With a 10x time multiplyer it would simulate the real world 24 hours of Spa.  Is that stupid?  It'd be quite a gruelling race being on for 2.4 hours but I'm intrigued to try a mega long endurance race like this.  For the grid placement we could take the practice timings from the week.  Happy to totally ditch this idea if anyone thinks it'd be too much... I probably need reigning in with my ideas sometimes.

mmm... actually... I'm not sure a mega long endurance race like that is worth it considering we have 10, 11 people.  It might not be conducive to close racing having such a small field and drawing out the race so long.  It could get to the point where we're all just lapping on our own at a different pace; and it's a long time to be doing that.    I'm just letting my mind run away with me I think (and watching too many sim-racing streams where they're doing this for their job)!!!

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

Here are the first 7ish minutes of of my second race where I'm proud of some of my overtakes. :) 

Love the "Oh no!" at the first corner. That certainly wasn't what I shouted as I was punted into the gravel ;)

1 hour ago, Mr Majestyk said:

That pass on @sneakyninja at the bottom of the mountain in the first race though, fuckin' nailed the inside line a belter! :D

Hat tip to you sir on that pass. :hat:

To be honest, those races were a nightmare for me. Felt like being in a pinball machine at times. Spent most of the first race with a damaged (my fault to be fair) car that needed two lengthy pit stops to repair. 

In the second race I got rear-ended going up the mountain which spun me 90 degrees and needed an Austin Powers-esque 324 degree turn to get out of, by which my rear suspension was ruined. Back to the pits again.

One cool thing though.. as it got dark, where I had front end damage the headlights flickered on and off as I braked. Nice detail. Sorry to everyone passing me, it must have looked like I was flashing my lights in anger :D

By the end I had a crazy paving windscreen which was hard to see through, steering at 90 degrees to the right down the straights and no lights in the braking zones.

But I survived! No rage quits, no retaliatory rams,  just head down racing. It's great.

(Once I've reviewed the replay I'll present evidence to the aforementioned stewards for consideration :) )

29 minutes ago, davejm said:

Guys, what are your thoughts on the 2x sprint race format?  Was it fun?  Shall we stick with it for the league (alongside the single races)?.

I'm thinking that we do this format every 3rd week; which means there are an equal number of Endurance vs Sprint races over the course of a championship.  It did end a little late (9:45ish), so I'm thinking that we cut qualifying to 10 minutes (just for the sprint race weekend), so I can take my time sorting out the server for the second race (so I don't make mistakes with the entry list) and leave more time for people to re-join.

• Sprint Race Weekends

Doing it like this means we will finish slightly earlier than we have been, and closer to 9:30.

... all of that said... how would you all feel about being available from 7pm to 9:45ish one night during the championship (just a one-off at this point)?  I have a bonkers idea about doing a 2.4 hours of Spa race :D  With a 10x time multiplyer it would simulate the real world 24 hours of Spa.  Is that stupid?  It'd be quite a gruelling race being on for 2.4 hours but I'm intrigued to try a mega long endurance race like this.  For the grid placement we could take the practice timings from the week.  Happy to totally ditch this idea if anyone thinks it'd be too much... I probably need reigning in with my ideas sometimes.

Given the small number of us, I reckon you could even do away with qualifying and have a random grid every now and then. It'd mix things up a-la reversed grid but would be easier to set up. I know I could certainly use the racing practice as it's very different to fast lapping. Probably not fair in a championship scenario though.

I got rear ended on the mountain too.  Just managed to avoid the incident ahead of me but had to slow down significantly, and got my back doors smashed in!!  Had to pit for repairs after that, but I needed to go in for fuel anyway.

5 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Given the small number of us, I reckon you could even do away with qualifying and have a random grid every now and then. It'd mix things up a-la reversed grid but would be easier to set up. I know I could certainly use the racing practice as it's very different to fast lapping. Probably not fair in a championship scenario though.

Good idea.  As well as the league races there are going to be two separate challenge races (more info to come later folks!), so we could either randomise the grid or do a grid placement based on a reverse of the league standings, for those two races.

Loved last night even though it was a mixed one for me.  Feel like I'm always learning with this game and last night's lesson was how the lap countdown works when you have a drive through!  If it says you have 1 lap left to serve the penalty, serve it on that lap, otherwise you'll be disqualified (I though it would tick down to show 0 laps left).  Really enjoyed going on board with you all through the race though, @Thor's big crash was pretty scary and @Valver's push at the end was great :)

Second race was great though, started on pole and lead the race all the way through.  Was a bit low on fuel (started with 55 litres) so had to do a bit of fuel saving in the race, but had to stay pretty on it all the way through as @Mr Majestyk and then @Thor always had very good pace behind me.

2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I'd had a nasty knock and was driving with the wheel 90⁰ to the right for a while. At the end of the previous lap I'd looked at time left, the gap between 1st and 2nd and thought that Sharky was going to ease off and cruise to the chequered flag. I'd been driving slower around the last few bends leading up to the start/finish hoping that they'd pass me, finish the race and let me finish too with my busted ass car but oh no, Sharky wanted to showboat, crossing the line with five seconds to go.

We need a team of non racing forumites to be the race stewards who we can look to for issuing penalties and take abuse for making the wrong decisions.

:lol: I absolutely would've slowed down if I felt I could, but Thor wasn't that far behind me after I'd slowed due to an accident on Conrod Straight (debris all over the road!).  Having to do the extra lap wasn't ideal for me either as I was pretty low on fuel.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

I like the idea of doing away with qualifying and using the reverse of the league table for the grid. Not so keen on races longer than one hour stints, because VR, but I could persevere. :)

Aye. Last night I had to do non-VR because I was already too hot before starting. 

Ha! Another excuse for my poor showing :D

1 hour ago, davejm said:

• Sprint Race Weekends

This all sounds great to me and personally, I'd have no issues doing the 24 hour style race as I've done that kind of event in VR before.  However, as you've said I don't think we have the numbers to make it work well.  I enjoyed the sprint race format and every third week should be a nice balance.

Really liked racing as the sun set last night, although my current pc didn't enjoy it :lol:  Defo think mixing it up with different times of day/weather will be great for the series.  

2 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Defo think mixing it up with different times of day/weather will be great for the series.  

For the league I'd like to try and simulate realistic weather for the track we're racing on.  If we're racing at Barcelona in the summer (for example) and it never rains, I'll use a high average ambient temp and ramp down the dynamic weather to basically zero for that race... and on the flip-side if we're racing at the Nurburgring in the winter (and it rains frequently at that time of year) then I'll set a lower ambient temperate and turn the dynamic weather setting higher.  So hopefully there is a good mix of weather, but not to the degree where it is frustrating for people.

I'll mix it up with the time of day too; so there will be some dusk, sunset, morning and night races.

I'm away next week, so was looking to start the following.  We can be flexible and skip league races for any given week in favour of one-off races, if we know people are going to be away at a particular time for example.

Any one around for some racing tonight?  I was thinking we could meet on discord, then find a lobby/track combo we can all join?  Not sure how problematic that'll be as we'll have different track medals/ratings but we should be able to find something.

5 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Any one around for some racing tonight?  I was thinking we could meet on discord, then find a lobby/track combo we can all join?  Not sure how problematic that'll be as we'll have different track medals/ratings but we should be able to find something.

Possibly.  I'm doing a simracing.gp race at 7pm (just a 20 minute sprint race) but I've got a mate coming over (who is thinking of getting into sim racing) so not sure how it's going to work using the speakers + Discord; or if we'll stay on after that race.  Although if he's interested in seeing more racing I might try and get on, or when he's gone I'll be back on if it's not too late :)  So I'll be around, but in what capacity I'm not sure.

I've unregistered from the simracing.gp race at Barcelona.  I just did a couple of practice laps around the circuit, and because it was one of the first ones we did I've forgotten all the braking points and I found the track really slippery and annoying.   So if I do come on later I'll be up for joining the public lobbies.  Although it's soooo bloody hot in this room, jesus.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 11 | Final Round @ Silverstone