Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 7 Round 3 | KTMs @ Monza

davejm

Big update-itis!  It's glorious but might need another couple of patches until it's stable again 😬

Really enjoyed that tonight, so many subtle little changes to the handling model.  The way the curbs on the outside of the final corner pull the car into them, so you have to fight a little to get the car back onto the tarmac, as one example.  Also the massive difference between cold and hot tyres; feels so intuitive!

If you get the virus thingy from Windows Defender, in Windows go to 'Virus & Threat Protection' in settings.

1132881622_Screenshot2021-11-25220242.jpg.f5e0b4eff1dd67a7793f470ebf07631c.jpg

Go to Protection History in there and look for ACC, you should be able to restore it and add it to exceptions.

I've had it quarantine ACC when the ransomware protection is on in the past - it didn't stop me loading the game but did lock off write ability so I couldn't save setups or replays.

FFS….what a stressful evening! I finally had to exclude the whole steam catalogue from windows defender to allow the game to run.  Not very comfortable feeling but I seriously wanted to race 😂

Started from the pit lane and forgot the limiter like a n00b resulting in a

DT. Most of the race was driven with low 25 psi tires and no grip. But what a feeling when the grip came! 

Sorry that I came in before you were finished, I saw in the server list that the race had finished but I was so stressed out that I forgot it takes a couple of mins for everyone to finish. Hope I didn’t mess up anyone’s race. 

Thanks for bearing with me, I’m usually more calm and a bit quicker on track but this had been a bad build up for me. Hopefully this won’t repeat itself, never had these problems before. Great to hang out with you guys, looking forward to racing with you again, to learn and laugh. Great racing and congrats to the winners. Good night from the irate Norwegian 😅❤️

7 minutes ago, milko said:

If you get the virus thingy from Windows Defender, in Windows go to 'Virus & Threat Protection' in settings.

1132881622_Screenshot2021-11-25220242.jpg.f5e0b4eff1dd67a7793f470ebf07631c.jpg

Go to Protection History in there and look for ACC, you should be able to restore it and add it to exceptions.

I've had it quarantine ACC when the ransomware protection is on in the past - it didn't stop me loading the game but did lock off write ability so I couldn't save setups or replays.

That’s a good shout, I’ll look into it again although I tried to add ACC as an exception. Not very comfortable with the solution I had to go for today 🤔

I thought I had highlight saving enabled but it turns out not, sorry. Can't 'be' @Valver unless I get into some editing which I don't really have time for!

Cracking races all round, the new physics and weather conditions really made that extra-interesting. I had consistent and good results, 3rd and 2nd after qualifying 2nd but quite a lot of action in there. Some great battles, especially with @Count Buffalos in that second race. Spent much of the first race fruitlessly chasing @winky and watching him make some dramatic mistakes while sadly doing too many of my own to actually gain from them. 

At the start of race 2 early in first lap I very nearly lost it horribly on the astro outside T4, @EuroVapeSim2 sorry if it put you off, it looked in my rearview like the same happened to you except for the 'nearly' part and I wasn't sure if I'd caused it. That left me clean in the lead somehow but unfortunately it wasn't long before I put it gently into a wall and had to work hard to get back up with people. SO slidey on cold tyres.

Great night of racing as usual guys.  A few technical issues and late arriving meant I felt massively unprepared; so was shocked to get pole then to win the first race.  Had some great battling with @SharkyOB in the second until my VR tracking when wonky; I'm just so glad I didn't wipe you out mate!!  Well done on the win.

Great that you could join us @Kristian Svenning even though the evening could barely have gone worse for you!  Hopefully smoother sailing next week.

I'm really enjoying the new update and the improvements FSR had brought, average +20fps and an improvement visual settings. It didn't make me any better though, that was some really tricky conditions in both races but I had great fun battling in both races.

Race 1 was a bit up and down for me, pressures were way to high and was struggling to make any moves stick and when I could capitalise on others mistakes it was tricky to stay in front.

Had a great start to race 2 but just lost it on the green astro at turn 4 and spun across the track, very pleased I got back to 3rd somehow.

5 minutes ago, milko said:

At the start of race 2 early in first lap I very nearly lost it horribly on the astro outside T4, @EuroVapeSim2 sorry if it put you off, it looked in my rearview like the same happened to you except for the 'nearly' part

It was completely self inflicted, I knew it was slippery but that astro was like ice, I even went off the next lap in the exact same way.

Just now, EuroVapeSim2 said:

It was completely self inflicted, I knew it was slippery but that astro was like ice, I even went off the next lap in the exact same way.

Took me about 4 laps to work out I needed to take that corner a LOT slower than normal! Haha, like starting almost from the beginning working all this out. But then feeling the handling come back as the tyres finally warmed up and laptimes started dropping, wow incredible simulation.

7 minutes ago, milko said:

ha, Windows Defender has just blocked the game from loading for me too FFS.

Wonder if Kunos might have forgotten to sign a certificate or the executable or something else in the file properties that makes defender think it’s malware…sounds like there might b something up with the update. 

As discussed last night, not lapped, didnt impact anyone else, and didnt finish last (due to tech issues for others admittedly) . Success. Not sure how i have 19 points however, I didnt race last week. 

Also my aging GTX970 seems to be holding up well with the new updates. Is the FSR thing turned on in menus or automatic ? @Meers , you mentioned the rain looking better. Reviewing the release notes (apologies, professional geek here) it appears the new unreal engine also included in the update has a new improved water modelling process. 

3 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Is the FSR thing turned on in menus or automatic

I don't think so, I had a play around in the menus last night and the new graphical options were disabled initially.  DLSS made a huge difference for me, everything was so much sharper and I had a better frame rate in VR too.  The changes to the handling were so impressive I completely forgot to mention it!

Just now, mrben09 said:

Yeah DLSS......... When I can get a 3000 series that isn't the price of a house in Cotswolds. 😀

🤣

Hopefully FSR will make a difference for you.  I'm lucky to have a 20 series card which I got before everything went insane.

9 hours ago, milko said:

I really don't know, it's odd that it's identifying a Trojan called Sabsik.TE.A!ml.

Could they actually have managed to mess up and get one in the build and through Steam upload?

A friend sent this to me last night. So that´s the sollution. Pretty logical, but the first tip from Kunos in the newsreel over the forums said to exclude the entire steam folder. Will fix that today and start looking forward to learning the car for next week in a couple of days.

Loving the updates though, DLSS made a huge difference for me and the improved physics and FFB made it harder to drive but it feels even more realistic and controllable than before. Amazing what they´ve done with the feel of the game. Other games like iRacing (tried it for a couple of hours, didn´t connect with the ffb and feel of the game), AMS2 or Race Room doesn´t quite do it for me. Also F1 2021 feels even more uncommunicative now in comparison than before so they just hit it out of the park. Exited for what AC2 will be like! Love GT racing but would love to have the same feel and realism on other cars as well.

DEE863E3-B4EB-49DE-8F4B-79F7BE863237.png

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season 7 Round 3 | KTMs @ Monza

I've not used a Vive, but I imagine your first ballache will be getting it set up with the tracker station things. In ACC it's pretty straightforward, choose SteamVR when you load the game, then just have to get used to prodding a keyboard you can barely see/perching the headset on your forehead. And find a set of graphics options that let you keep a good frame-rate. Have fun!

Oh! The one major tip is to bind 'reset HMD view' to a button on your steering wheel. That way you'll be able to reset your view to the correct place when it gets a bit out of whack. I often find I need this once on the main menu and then just occasionally through play.

Ah yeah might need to move the rig slightly if I have to set up the trackers on either side of it, didn't think of them. I'm guessing they are required so the game can follow your head movements.

The reset view now you say it does seem essential, I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks for the tips.

1 hour ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Just found out I'm getting to borrow a friends HTC Vive for a week, picking it up this evening. For the guys using VR do you have any tips, is there a lot of setup required to get it working in ACC?

Don't forget to wave at the other drivers as we sit on the grid! (I really feels like that's possible)

Oh - and when tinkering with the graphics settings, the most important one is resolution - 100% is native, less than that obviously blurs things a bit but it has the most effect on performance. 

I can share my settings, but the new 1.8 update has made them redundant as I'm finding I can turn things up a bit now. (Apart the the brightness, apparently.. <mutter> )

If I decide to race with it this week there will be a lot of waving other people and hand gestures as I spin off. 

10 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Oh - and when tinkering with the graphics settings, the most important one is resolution - 100% is native, less than that obviously blurs things a bit but it has the most effect on performance. 

Is this separate from FSR/DLSS? I will play around and try find a good balance of fps against image quality .

Hopefully I won't get affected by the dark screen like you did.

6 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

If I decide to race with it this week there will be a lot of waving other people and hand gestures as I spin off. 

Is this separate from FSR/DLSS? I will play around and try find a good balance of fps against image quality .

Hopefully I won't get affected by the dark screen like you did.

Yes, it's separate from all the new options. Depending on how much poke your PC has, some tracks will be more demanding to render than others. Kyalami for example needs me to knock the resolution down a few percent.

1 hour ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Just found out I'm getting to borrow a friends HTC Vive for a week, picking it up this evening. For the guys using VR do you have any tips, is there a lot of setup required to get it working in ACC?

What card do you have mate?  If it's a 20 series or better, DLSS seemed incredible last night.  So much extra performance so hopefully you won't have to dial things down too much to get VR running well.

Generally though, you want to lower the resolution scale (mine is currently set to 50 but I'll probably be able to push that up now) and up the VR pixel density (I think I use 120) as that'll have the biggest influence on framerate.

If you've got a really capable card (I have a 2070 Super), @davejmmight be your man for more specific settings.

14 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Depending on how much poke your PC has, some tracks will be more demanding to render than others.

5 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

What card do you have mate?

I have an AMD RX580 so only FSR for me which gave me a big boost in performance. It's a couple years old now but still going strong, I did originally get with the HTC vive in mind.

9 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Generally though, you want to lower the resolution scale (mine is currently set to 50 but I'll probably be able to push that up now) and up the VR pixel density (I think I use 120) as that'll have the biggest influence on framerate.

Is resolution scale the same as the resolution sneaky mentioned a message earlier, seems like I will have to spend a bit of time tinkering first.