Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season finale: Imola

davejm

Great pace early in the race @SharkyOB I think we were within a tenth or two for the first 20-ish laps. You mentioned how your pace slowed towards the end - the same happened to me, I turned my best laps on laps 23 and 24(1:35.0) and then my pace slowed to high 35 and low 36. It may have been low tyre pressures as temperatures fell quite a bit, maybe tearing/graining too from overdriving. Early in the race I had pressures 27.8-28.0 PSI but only 27.3-27.6 in the end. Worst tyre was front left with 2.08 mm left and light graining, so I had been sliding and using front tyres a bit too much.

Theres something I want to write about lapping. You dont need to slow down and move aside as soon as you see the blue flag, at least not for me. 😄 I'll return to this later with a video example or two.

I really should learn to set up my pit strategy before the race instead of trying to do it whilst pitting. Whilst I feverishly tried to untick a couple of boxes in the pit menu I accidentally switched the pit limiter off when I unticked the bodywork repair box. I blame it on the 'funky switch' (which totally deserves that moniker) on my wheel, which is wobbly as hell. If you're not careful, you'll press up or down when you meant to go left or right. Why on earth they didn't go for a regular d-pad is anyone's guess. And as you can see below, the bodywork repair box is essentially next to the pit limiter if you accidentally hit down. And if you hit right/left after that, you'll switch the pit limiter off. And then you'll get a 30 second S&G penalty as a result.

image.thumb.png.5c4bbd2324d4f399f2547c1ecc75a57f.png

So my battle with @Valver and @SneakyNinja was over after that. The first stint was AMAZING though. In the first stint I was scrapping for the podium with @Count Buffalos, SneakyNinja and Valver whilst @winky was not too far behind. Tense stuff and I absolutely loved being able to keep up with them. Unfortunately Nick spun in an unexpected way which almost caught me off guard. Luckily I managed to avoid him. I was swarming Alastair for a while and I think I could have had him if it wasn't for my pitstop debacle. I'll try to practice a bit more during the week now that I've got a bit more time.

The Macca really suits me I think, lovely car. It rewards smooth driving, which just so happens to be my driving style. 🥰

Going back to 1080p (with a bit of upscaling - 125%) was a good decision too. The framerate was 70-75fps which is well above the 60Hz my screen puts out, so it's smooth as butter. Graphically it's a bit fuzzier overall (on a 4K tv) but I can use mirrors now! Oh and Epic shadows, draw distance, textures, AA and foliage as well!

Hope you guys had fun racing.  I watched the first half an hour or so; up to the first pitstop which @Meers must have screwed up as he got hit with a SG30 right after :(

Shame about the start @milko.  I watched some of your battling further down the field after your incident.

@Erik how did the 20kg ballast feel?

Here are the standings after 3 rounds:-

image.thumb.png.7aa5f2d841130f3b7e3cadb910974a11.png

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Mid season break!
9 hours ago, milko said:

btw I'm pretty sure I can't make the week Zolder is in (Thursday 28th Oct) so if it's not gonna screw up anybody else I'd be up for adding a break there and pushing it back. Half-term events for me. But only if it works for everybody else, s'no big deal. 

I've adjusted the calendar to bring forward that round by a week, so it's swapped with the second mid-season break.  Gives us an extra practice week for the Blue Riband finale too!

image.thumb.png.ebe9435abc4d4288cd283aab8ab71a59.png

23 minutes ago, Erik said:

Theres something I want to write about lapping. You dont need to slow down and move aside as soon as you see the blue flag, at least not for me. 😄 I'll return to this later with a video example or two.

As you've seen, I keep on racing as normal until someone's right on my bumper before going wide when turning into a corner to let the faster car pass. I think that's the best way really. There's no need to slow down drastically and dive into the grass/gravel at all imo.

19 minutes ago, davejm said:

@Meers must have screwed up as he got hit with a SG30 right after :(

I did fuck up my pitstop massively, see the post above yours. 🤦‍♂️

How are you doing, Dave? Are you able to join us again soon?

Regarding the mid-season break...is there something I can set up for next week's event? A suggestion was done to have a Nordschleife track day style event, which I though was a good idea.

2 hours ago, Meers said:

I did fuck up my pitstop massively, see the post above yours. 🤦‍♂️

How are you doing, Dave? Are you able to join us again soon?

Yeah, I posted at a similar time to you so I didn't see your your post until after.

I'm doing OK thanks mate.  I'm getting there.  I might try and get back for the Oulton Park race in a couple of weeks; or dip into any mid season race that might get scheduled next.  But I'm not too sure at the moment.  I tried to get some practice in around Misano over the last couple of days; but I found it frustrating and didn't enjoy it (plus some knee pain returned almost immediately).  So for now I'm not totally sure.  I'm trying to do some different things in the evenings (running, walking, catching up with friends etc) to keep busy and boost my mental health; but unfortunately sitting in the rig is reminding me of the routine of the last year or so which I'm having to break away from in lots of ways.  I'm trying to do more strength exercises too; to help with the knees.

My CSL DD is due to ship over the next week or so.  Maybe playing around with that will give me a kick to get back into it!  Who knows.  But I'm not far away (and obviously still posting here and enjoying following things) so fingers crossed I'll be back soon.

7 minutes ago, davejm said:

I'm doing OK thanks mate.  I'm getting there.  I might try and get back for the Oulton Park race in a couple of week; or dip into any mid season race that might get scheduled next.  But I'm not too sure at the moment. 

No rush mate, just join back in when you're 100% ready for it again. 🤗

1 hour ago, Meers said:

The Macca really suits me I think, lovely car. It rewards smooth driving, which just so happens to be my driving style.

I seem to be getting on well with it too, in terms of pace anyway. Not sure I’d describe my style as smooth but it feels a lot safer than my previous choice so I’m able to push the limits more reliably. Now to try and arrest my slide down the table, I liked Oulton Park a lot in the Honda so I’m slightly optimistic. 

2 minutes ago, Meers said:

No rush mate, just join back in when you're 100% ready for it again. 🤗

Might check out that Assetto Corsa 'Island' mod soon, and try some Raceroom too.  Basically dip into some other stuff outside of the weekly practice & race cycle.  So dipping into a casual Assetto Corsa race next week might be fun...

... about that... we tried to do a Nordschleife track day style event previously and the server crapped out (Erik had to save us by setting up a local server).  I'm not sure how well simracing.gp handles practice only events; but we could always give it another go.  Either that or set it up with a race session (4 laps or something?).

I wondered about us having a more social evening's drive round the AC "Island" in our off week, too.  Maybe we could have it as an open mic night, where we can chat freely while blatting round in our cars of choice just exploring?  One of us would have to host it - as the simracing.gp servers dont yet have that map available, but that shouldnt be too hard to set up.

1 minute ago, Valver said:

I wondered about us having a more social evening's drive round the AC "Island" in our off week, too.  Maybe we could have it as an open mic night, where we can chat freely while blatting round in our cars of choice just exploring?  One of us would have to host it - as the simracing.gp servers dont yet have that map available, but that shouldnt be too hard to set up.

I've been meaning to get my server up and running.  Might be a good weekend project!

1 hour ago, davejm said:

how did the 20kg ballast feel?

I think it was worth at least 2 tenths, maybe as much as 5. Because I couldnt break into 1:34s in race. 26 l of fuel should weight the same.

1 hour ago, Meers said:

As you've seen, I keep on racing as normal until someone's right on my bumper before going wide when turning into a corner to let the faster car pass. I think that's the best way really. There's no need to slow down drastically and dive into the grass/gravel at all imo.

You can go wide in a hairpin, but you will lose a ton of time. Lapped cars have races of their own where every second might count so dont throw them away.  If you go wide in a place where its easy to go wide, such as at the end of that back straight in Misano, car behind cant be sure if you just made a mistake and you are rejoining immediately. Being predictable goes a long way to avoiding contact and losing least amount of time. Its best to not panic, stick to racing line and lift slightly when faster car is alongside or when a lapping move is clearly on. Dont lift in an acceleration zone because you can get rear ended. Basically drive as you would, dont defend and if possible lift on a straight to lose the least time. You can also try use indicators or flash. I'll try to find good examples in my endurance replay files!

Regarding AC event next week, I can host. Nordschleife or the new island?

4 minutes ago, Erik said:

I think it was worth at least 2 tenths, maybe as much as 5. Because I couldnt break into 1:34s in race. 26 l of fuel should weight the same.

40kg of ballast next time then ;) :D

Argh! Right now I'm hovering over the order button for the McLaren GT3 wheel, but I'm still in two minds over it.

On one hand I'm wondering if will it add something over my current P1 rim (will I use those rotary dials at all for ACC)? And seeing as I'm not playing as often as I used to, is it worth the purchase? Will it improve my driving?

On the other hand I'd like to buy myself something new because it's my birthday tomorrow, and I could use the extra buttons I suppose. Plus this rim suits ACC (and formula) racing better as that's all I 'drive'. And it's shiny and only available for a limited time (I think, because the V1 was). And €200 is cheap compared to their other rims.

And then there's "€200?! Are you mental? You already have a wheel!". 😅 😓

Argh²!

My theory is that once the idea of getting one is in your head to the point where you are almost buying it, you've already subconsciously made the decision ;). I had the same when I bought the Formula rim for my CSL Elite. I've not regretted it since, though, and I actually enjoy using it much more than the stock rim. I find it much more comfortable and the button locations are much better (well, they were for the F1 games, imagine it'd be similar for ACC).

Plus, it's your birthday tomorrow! You enjoy sim racing and it's a hobby you partake in reasonably often (often enough to more than justify a new rim I'd say) so I reckon you should just slap down your money and get one of those rims on the way to Holland ASAP.

Incidentally, if I load into the practice server on a week that has a break in it, does it teleport me to a beach somewhere with a drink in-hand?

14 minutes ago, Meers said:

On one hand I'm wondering if will it add something over my current P1 rim (will I use those rotary dials at all for ACC)? And seeing as I'm not playing as often as I used to, is it worth the purchase? Will it improve my driving?

What have you mapped on buttons now? I have the Thrustmaster open rim. It has 8 buttons, 4-button d pad and a... thing that can be pushed down or turned up or down for 2 more buttons and it gets returned to center by a spring.

I use these for:

Push-to-talk, MFD next menu (d-pad for navigation), brake bias up and down(changing conditions, sometimes I change it corner to corner, depends on track), TC up and down(changing conditions mostly), ABS up down and (changing conditions) and engine start.

I would like to have 6 more buttons for lights, indicators, ignition and pit limiter.

44 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

My theory is that once the idea of getting one is in your head to the point where you are almost buying it, you've already subconsciously made the decision ;).

Yeah that's my motivation too. Just wondering if it's worth it (see below).

37 minutes ago, davejm said:

Disappointing news from Fanatec :(

Oh man, that sucks. But it's still not cancelled completely so you've got that going for you.

37 minutes ago, Erik said:

What have you mapped on buttons now?

I have mapped a lot of things (ABS/BB/TCS/Engine mapping etc etc) to secondary and tertiary button functions (as found in the game's controls settings), but it's confusing that way. I'd rather have dedicated buttons for them instead, but I'm still not sure how the rotaries work (reviews that I've watched weren't very thorough on those dials).

image.thumb.png.2ad75facdf591391f92090f4838d5e63.png

Compared to an Xbox controller there's the ABXY buttons, the lower paddles are essentially analogue triggers and the orange shifters are the bumber (shoulder) buttons. Then there's the LSB and RSB which are an extra set of bumper buttons (I think) and I reckon the P and N buttons are the 'start and back' buttons (or whatever they're called these days). New are the red switches at the top (2-way I think) and the 3 dials. The blue dial has 4 positions on it, which can be used to map certain button button functions (3 presets and one custom). The white dials can be rotated 360° (no idea how many steps they have). The 'funky switch' has 4 directions like a d-pad and it can be pressed as well.

So all in all it adds 2 analogue triggers (digital on my P1 rim below), 2 switches, 1 preset dial and 2 rotary dials to the rim I already have, and I wonder if its worth it.

image.thumb.png.d14a76be3bdd943f7486060a25dc1b2e.png

36 minutes ago, Meers said:

Oh man, that sucks. But it's still not cancelled completely so you've got that going for you.

It's only a 2 week delay, but earlier batches had all shipped early so I was kinda hoping for the same (rather than a delay).  Ah well!

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Seems to me like it would be - you'd definitely get extra buttons to map things to, and the form factor should make it all a much nicer experience to use. The Formula Rim is an amazing bit of kit, and feels a lot better in extended races than the stock rim did.

Also, once you buy the rim then you can buy these official McLaren sunglasses because you'll be looking like such a badass with your branded equipment:

renegades-le_mclarenplus.800.0.png

1 hour ago, Meers said:

I have mapped a lot of things (ABS/BB/TCS/Engine mapping etc etc) to secondary and tertiary button functions (as found in the game's controls settings), but it's confusing that way. I'd rather have dedicated buttons for them instead, but I'm still not sure how the rotaries work (reviews that I've watched weren't very thorough on those dials).

image.thumb.png.2ad75facdf591391f92090f4838d5e63.png

Compared to an Xbox controller there's the ABXY buttons, the lower paddles are essentially analogue triggers and the orange shifters are the bumber (shoulder) buttons. Then there's the LSB and RSB which are an extra set of bumper buttons (I think) and I reckon the P and N buttons are the 'start and back' buttons (or whatever they're called these days). New are the red switches at the top (2-way I think) and the 3 dials. The blue dial has 4 positions on it, which can be used to map certain button button functions (3 presets and one custom). The white dials can be rotated 360° (no idea how many steps they have). The 'funky switch' has 4 directions like a d-pad and it can be pressed as well.

So all in all it adds 2 analogue triggers (digital on my P1 rim below), 2 switches, 1 preset dial and 2 rotary dials to the rim I already have, and I wonder if its worth it.

image.thumb.png.d14a76be3bdd943f7486060a25dc1b2e.png

Get the macca wheel.

You really need a GT wheel to compliment your round one. One for GT racing, one for rally/drifing/old cars in Assetto Corsa. :)

Of course, I may be biased:

IMG_2088.jpg.5fceb2d1f41eb2d9bab1391798221887.jpg

And it's your birthday 🥳

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

I’m eyeing up the TM Open rim at the moment, my birthday is next week :)

Heres how I've set up mine. Maybe I should unmap TC and/or ABS for lights and indicators as I need those more often...

1893876554_TMopen.jpg.d4dc6ccf964b692f7fc37f49f48df60b.jpg

Yay for the break next week,  building works should be squared away by the time the next race comes around. So then I just win all the remaining races, pick up the trophy, waltz off with a pit girl, and see you all next season ? Is that how it works ? Its been so long.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season finale: Imola