Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season finale: Imola

davejm

20 minutes ago, Meers said:

How hard would it be to vote again and get back in the EU? Or is a big part of the UK still in favour of Brexit?

A big part of the UK won't be even entertaining the possibility of voting about that for a generation now, and anything bad caused by Brexit is either exactly why we should have left (somehow) or not actually to do with Brexit at all (somehow). So it goes.

1 hour ago, Meers said:

How hard would it be to vote again and get back in the EU? Or is a big part of the UK still in favour of Brexit?

Sorry to switch OT for a bit, just curious.

Like all political things this has been weaponised and is part of the ongoing culture war. There is no way we are going back one a generation, regardless of how bad things are or are about to get.

There is always a chance that us Scots could get independence and come back and join you one day though.

Been away for a while to come back to a Brexit discussion, love this forum.

Just delivered a big project so have a bit more time on my hands (although still not sure I can do tomorrow and then the band is gonna be on tour for the following 2 races). Really miss it though, so gonna join the server tonight and do some laps. Spent the last few weeks doing a lot of planning, pre-production and thinking which reminded me of why I love racing so much. "Get in the car" and forget about everything, just focus, be present in the moment and trust your instincts. Need more of this!

6 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

"Get in the car" and forget about everything, just focus, be present in the moment and trust your instincts. Need more of this!

I feel ya! Luckily tonight I'm not setting up bloody 13 hour video renders so I will get on the server and run some practice laps.

I've done a total of 90 minutes practice so far between yesterday and today around snetterton. I'm finding it to be a tricky track to figure out, I don't feel like I'm lost as others have said but I just can't find any consistency in any corner, the slightest early turn in or getting on the throttle too soon on some corners and I'm way off on the grass. 

Hope it all comes together tomorrow and I can have a clean race, I don't see myself being very competitive though. 

I found one fast (for me) lap somewhere, just under 1.48, otherwise I'm fairly consistently able to turn in 1.48.5s which I guess might be good enough for some decent points if trouble happens to other people and not me. I cannot for the life of me get a happy feeling around the slippery bend before the big Bentley straight, and pretty much all the turns after it feel difficult to be consistent with. Any lap I get one of them right seems to guarantee I'll screw up another in some way.

A couple of inside kerbs are deadly if you cut them too much, it feels like a track where driving safely is an even better idea than normal during the race. Survival mode!

@Erik I played a little bit with your setup recommendations. I am curious, the numbers you quoted for dampers are a long way from the Aggressive preset ones, what is the thinking behind the change?

6 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

"Get in the car" and forget about everything, just focus, be present in the moment and trust your instincts.

Given our little coming together just now on the practice server, this is extra funny :lol:

48 minutes ago, milko said:

Given our little coming together just now on the practice server, this is extra funny :lol:

Sorryyy mate... I was feeling too zen and turned off all overlays, only to completely miss you coming up to me and blocking you off and causing a bad crash :lol:

Really enjoyed the Merc! Feisty and fun, you really feel the slip angle, which is something i didn't feel with the Lexus at all and really helps to understand how to improve your driving. Deffo got out of shape a lot, but I like the responsiveness and driving position, you can really turn the car around with the throttle which I like (and my tyres don't hehe) 

14 hours ago, winky said:

There is always a chance that us Scots could join you one day though.

THE SCOTS ARE COMING! HIDE THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN! :omg:

14 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

"Get in the car" and forget about everything, just focus, be present in the moment and trust your instincts.

So that's the secret to your blistering fast time up there. ☝🏽️

8 hours ago, milko said:

I played a little bit with your setup recommendations. I am curious, the numbers you quoted for dampers are a long way from the Aggressive preset ones, what is the thinking behind the change?

Yeah they are quite different. In the preset front is very damped, sits on bumpstops and doesnt pitch or roll much at all. For me that results in very understeery feel and sliding front tyres a lot. I find the car also does not like touching kerbs. Increasing bumpstop range and reducing damping improves all that. I found that to compensate for front changes rear also needs some changes to stop low speed entry oversteer.  Front wheelrate doesnt necessarily need to be softer though, my mistake there. Its not necessarily any faster than the preset, just different. For me car becomes more predictable and stable with more grip, but responds slower.

Can anyone stream tonight's race?

1 minute ago, davejm said:

How do aliens "alien"? 🤷‍♂️🤔

Last weekend I followed a enduro race where Tortellini was lapping 2:17s in Spa, in the Porsche. In traffic, with full fuel and 10 kg of ballast. He barely turns the wheel in most corners. His stint starting here:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Erik said:

Last weekend I followed a enduro race where Tortellini was lapping 2:17s in Spa, in the Porsche. In traffic, with full fuel and 10 kg of ballast. He barely turns the wheel in most corners. His stint starting here:

Reveal hidden contents

Mad isn't it.  I watch a lot of Jardier's streams; this one included.  Was gutted when he binned it!

19 hours ago, davejm said:

It works out around £50 more than it would have cost before Brexshit :(

Your import charges were the final straw for me.  I feel like I've overspent lately so I've cancelled my pre-order for the CSL DD and the BMW rim.  Unfortunately it means I'm stuck with the boost kit that I ordered separately, so I'll put that up on ebay this week.

I just really hope that when they announce it, Thrustmaster's DD base is good, comes in at a reasonable price and is compatible with my current rim.  If so, I think this'll work out better for me all round.

1 minute ago, SharkyOB said:

Your import charges were the final straw for me.  I feel like I've overspent lately so I've cancelled my pre-order for the CSL DD and the BMW rim.  Unfortunately it means I'm stuck with the boost kit that I ordered separately, so I'll put that up on ebay this week.

I just really hope that when they announce it, Thrustmaster's DD base is good, comes in at a reasonable price and is compatible with my current rim.  If so, I think this'll work out better for me all round.

Sounds like a wise choice!

12 minutes ago, extremepabs said:

Hi Guys I think I might be missing the race tonight as got a works leaving do. Have a good race all

That's a pity man. 😓

Shall I unregister you for tonight's race then, Paul?

23 hours ago, milko said:

I guess might be good enough for some decent points if trouble happens to other people and not me.

03a.jpg

I think I dropped a place in lap 1 to 7th or 8th while being careful to avoid contact, settled into something of a groove at a non-spectacular pace that had me stuck 2 seconds or so ahead and behind my closest rivals.  Then a succession of people seemed to have excursions and I found myself up to 4th and chasing @davejmand @EuroVapeSim2who were racing incredibly closely together. I don’t think I would have got near either but for the battling, and that saw me come up to the back of them for a bit while glancing nervously at the interval back to @winkyand then @SharkyOB. As luck would have it, my 62/35 fuel split worked out very nicely, I had to dive in earlier than most of you but got clear track after I came out and found myself in second place when the stops were all done. Was pretty scared @EuroVapeSim2 would catch up but managed to hold it together to the flag somehow. 

I think in the whole race I only had one proper close-to-disaster moment, I got onto the grass coming out of T1 during my post-pit run and things got very wobbly but I hung onto it somehow. That’s pretty good going for me!

@milko we weren't actually battling.  I was around 1.5 seconds ahead for the most part.  He got a bit close at times, then I'd get in a good lap and increase the distance a little.   It didn't get close enough that I needed to take defensive lines.  So your race pace was equal to ours.  He overtook me when I hit the back of Meers and went off track; then I made a couple of mistakes and after the pitstop I wasn't very close to either of you unfortunately.

I messed up my pitstop too; just got the line wrong so they picked me up, then dropped me, then picked me up again.   Shame cause I only refueled 1 litre so the actual stop only took 3 seconds.

Oh fair enough than @davejm, but I wasn’t going any great shakes by then I thought at the time, just consistent. When I got near you guys seemed almost bumper to bumper for ages! Looking forward to seeing the highlights. 

You were blistering fast.  I was throwing down much faster laptimes with race fuel than I ever did in practice, so it was quite annoying that you were both on my tail :D  He only really got up to my bumper at the end of the hairpins (and in the chicane a couple of times) so I think all 3 of us were just in the zone at this point.  Very consistent.  Well done on hanging on in there to take second!

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Next Thursday: Zolder Sprint

Server is configured for Zolder :)

My CSL DD isn't coming today :( I assumed that due to paying the import charges it was in the country and they estimated delivery for today; but it missed the ship so is coming Monday now.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Season finale: Imola