Assetto Corsa Competizione

13 hours ago, davejm said:

image.png.7c7da4017e564b46ee18d34a541385e8.png

What the...still in 3rd?! I was expecting to be at the bottom of the list by now! :o

19 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

it should be a mandatory watch before every Monza race in GT Sport, for example :)

It should be a mandatory watch for the F1 guys too. Have you seen last Sunday's race? :lol:

18 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

So even though I've got the PS4 version, I will most likely end up double-dipping as I've just bought myself a PC that should run it much better than the console does.

If I wanted a VR headset just for this game (and PCars 2 I guess), what should I be looking at?

It would have to go in a very limited space (and obviously I won't be moving around).

(I know there's a dedicated PC VR thread but this seems better suited in here because I know a few of you race in VR).

Oculus Rift S. It has inside out tracking so doesn't need external cameras/sensors. You could do this with a Quest and a link cable, but comfort is an issue for some with the Quest (the Rift S is better balanced). Bear in mind this game is more taxing than others on the PC, adding in VR puts more strain on the system. What spec PC have you bought?

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oculus Rift S. It has inside out tracking so doesn't need external cameras/sensors. You could do this with a Quest and a link cable, but comfort is an issue for some with the Quest (the Rift S is better balanced). Bear in mind this game is more taxing than others on the PC, adding in VR puts more strain on the system. What spec PC have you bought?

i5-8300H, 32GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB. Not a powerhouse or anything but I'm not fussy about graphics, so as long as I can expect to get something that works at least as well as GT Sport does on PSVR (but with other cars on track) I'll be happy.

30 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

So even though I've got the PS4 version, I will most likely end up double-dipping as I've just bought myself a PC that should run it much better than the console does.

If I wanted a VR headset just for this game (and PCars 2 I guess), what should I be looking at?

It would have to go in a very limited space (and obviously I won't be moving around).

(I know there's a dedicated PC VR thread but this seems better suited in here because I know a few of you race in VR).

I'd second @Thor's recommendation of the Rift S.  Best headset you can get for the money, especially if you're planning on playing sitting down.

I'd honestly not bother with PCars 2, the handling is so weird in that game.  Go for Assetto Corsa (1st game) instead.  It has the same multiple motorsport ethos of PCars 2, but the handling is much better and it's really modable.  Some of the content you can get for free in that game is spectacular, especially if you have any interest in historic motorsport.  You can get the ultimate edition for less than a tenner on a key selling site like CDKeys too.

I do already own both PCARS2 and Assetto Corsa on Steam although I’ve not played either very much (all my driving time tends to be in GT Sport because the wheel is in a different room than the existing PC).

Will keep an eye out for a Rift S :)

23 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

i5-8300H, 32GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB. Not a powerhouse or anything but I'm not fussy about graphics, so as long as I can expect to get something that works at least as well as GT Sport does on PSVR (but with other cars on track) I'll be happy.

Unfortunately you'll defo struggle with ACC in VR with that spec.  You'll be able to run it but it won't look very nice, you'll get microstutters and certain lighting conditions will probably tank the frame rate.  It should run fine on a monitor, but I ended up upgrading my PC for ACC VR and I had an i7 4790K with a GTX1070.

4 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Unfortunately you'll defo struggle with ACC in VR with that spec.  You'll be able to run it but it won't look very nice, you'll get microstutters and certain lighting conditions will probably tank the frame rate.  It should run it fine on a monitor, but I ended up upgrading my PC for ACC VR and I had an i7 4790K with a GTX1070.

Ah, that's good to know in advance, thanks.

I do have a friend nearby who collects VR headsets (unless I'm mistaken she has every one that's ever been publicly released, plus a few dev-only/prototype ones) so hopefully she'll let me try out a few different ones of hers to see if it works well enough for me. I don't mind turning VFX way down or off if that'll help the frame rate.

Watch this space, I'll be back in here in three months going HELP ME I NEED TO BUY ANOTHER NEW PC :lol:

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's probably worth noting right now, that holding off for more confirmation on the Quest 2 specs might be worth it.

They are claiming 50% more pixels, nearly 2k per eye or something, and, if you have the space, the wire free VR in other games is completely game changing imo. 

I think the Quest is slightly higher res than the Rift S (though likely not that noticable it's such a small difference) but might be 72fps rather than 75?  Cost wise are on a par, so if the Quest 2 has a similar price point, and is comfy enough, then it could be amazing.

I have no issues with the comfort of the Quest (which is front heavy) and I predominantly use it for high movement games, Beat Sabre etc.

I played Super Hot on PSVR and thought it was very, very good, on Quest (1) it was absolutely amazing.

I will add, I've never experienced VR beyond PSVR or the Quest though, and I don't have a PC so have no experience of linking it up to PC, but reviews and opinions seem favorable but I maybe I'm missing something else with regard to the Rift, and of course, that extra res would need even an even better GPU for ACC...

I asked this a few months back, when I was starting to learn more about PC gaming (mainly for sim racing, but also to potentially replace a Series X purchase), might be some useful stuff in there:

Beyond that thread, from what I found elsewhere online, if you want ACC on high/ultra in VR, even a 2080ti wasn't a guarantee.

I’ve got a laptop with an i5 10xxxx, RTX 2060, 16GB of RAM and an SSD. I can get 1440p 60fps with mostly ‘high’ settings with a couple of ‘epics’ and a couple of ‘mids’.

I still get the occasional micro stutter, particularly when there’s a lot of stuff being shifted around, sharp corners for example. I’m trying to tune those out but it’s slow process - is there a particular setting that’s particularly resource intensive to eliminate the occasional micro stutter?

10 minutes ago, Jashin said:

I’ve got a laptop with an i5 10xxxx, RTX 2060, 16GB of RAM and an SSD. I can get 1440p 60fps with mostly ‘high’ settings with a couple of ‘epics’ and a couple of ‘mids’.

I still get the occasional micro stutter, particularly when there’s a lot of stuff being shifted around, sharp corners for example. I’m trying to tune those out but it’s slow process - is there a particular setting that’s particularly resource intensive to eliminate the occasional micro stutter?

Shadows, foliage, mirrors and volumetric fog are really heavy on the system, I've found. HLOD should always be on for extra fps. V-synch should make for a smoother experience, but axes the fps.

Everyone is suffering from the stutters, it seems. I think it's something game engine related.

Out of interest, which laptop are you using?

Yeah, I’ve looked at those things in particular and I think that the balance I have is pretty good. I didn’t realise that micro stutters were a common thing tbh. 

The laptop is a Lenovo Legion 7i, which I think is great but I regret not going for an i7 CPU a little bit. Having said that, it runs large field single player ACC races without issues, which I understand is a CPU heavy task. 

Indeed, the i5 7300 in my laptop is screaming for mercy with AI on the track. Your laptop is what I wish I would have bought in the first place (I'm on a GTX1050, 8GB, I can run in 1440p30 fine, 1440p60 is juddery). :(

"Here comes a new challenger!"

We have a new racer!  @SharkyOB's mate SANtoOos will be joining us.  He hasn't had forum membership approved yet, but I've got the details to add him to the server entrylist, so he'll be racing with us tomorrow.

Well I managed to shoehorn a TT session in last night, and although my 488 feels planted (on a rubbered in track), I cannot for the life of me better my own time, so it'll have to do. I'd love to know where @Thor finds that 1.2 extra seconds. :wacko:

On to the race tonight then!

36 minutes ago, Meers said:

Well I managed to shoehorn a TT session in last night, and although my 488 feels planted (on a rubbered in track), I cannot for the life of me better my own time, so it'll have to do. I'd love to know where @Thor finds that 1.2 extra seconds. :wacko:

On to the race tonight then!

I'm having a nightmare, the Ferrari doesn't feel planted for me and the track seems really slippery in a lot of places even with the rubbered track.

It led me to try new cars for the first time in a while.  I've always liked the feel of the McLaren and it does indeed feel more grippy around this track, but I'm a lot slower in it so I'll just stick to the Ferrari.  

Gonna be way off the pace this week.

image.png.25d2bf020adfc185924dd470edd0bd6e.png

Sprinty sprint sprint!!

Practice

• Time: 18:00 until 20:15 (135 minutes)

Qualification

• Time: 20:15 until 20:25 (10 minutes)

Race 1

• Time: 20:25 until 20:50 (25 minutes)

• Grid position will be based on pre-race qualifying

• 14:00 in-game start

• No mandatory pit stop

Race 2

• Time: 21:05 until 21:30 (25 minutes)

• Grid position will be based on a reverse of the race 1 finishing positions

• 20:00 in-game start

• No mandatory pit stop

Conditions

• 17°C average ambient temperature
  • High chance of overcast conditions
  • Some chance of rain
  • If race conditions are torrential (unlikely), a 'red flag' will be called and the server will be restarted

Important

After the end of the first race the server will be stopped so I can reconfigure it for the second race.  I'll notify everyone on Discord when the server is back up; but I anticipate this will only take a couple of minutes.  We'll be placed in a short practice session while we wait for everyone to re-join at which time I'll start the second race session.

Discord

Please use the rllmuk Discord channel (voice chat:-  'AC Competizione '); at least during the time between the first and second sprint races; as I'll be indicating in the chat when the server is back up.  If you're staying in the voice chat during the race (which isn't mandatory), please ensure that 'push to talk' is turned on in the Discord settings.

39 minutes ago, davejm said:

I'm having a nightmare, the Ferrari doesn't feel planted for me and the track seems really slippery in a lot of places even with the rubbered track.

I'm getting to grips with it the more we race. It's been a fairly stable (lol, horse, stable) car for me throughout, and I feel it's getting better the more I'm getting to grips with its tuning. Switching to another car would not be an option for me anymore as I'd have to learn it all over again. So I'm sticking with it. ^_^

1 minute ago, Meers said:

I'm getting to grips with it the more we race. It's been a fairly stable (lol, horse, stable) car for me throughout, and I feel it's getting better the more I'm getting to grips with its tuning. Switching to another car would not be an option for me anymore as I'd have to learn it all over again. So I'm sticking with it. ^_^

Me too, in hindsight.  The McLaren is the only other one that feels good, but I can't get close enough laps times with it so the Ferrari it is!

I can only seem to manage mid 1:47's on this track in the 911. I've tried the Ferrari, Merc and McLaren and whilst they're less twitchy, I'm at least a second or two slower in them.

And let's all watch the (very good) braking points video again, lest there be carnage at T1 :D

2 hours ago, mrben09 said:

5 fucking seconds a lap ! Apologies in advance everyone !

I take a lot of the tighter 180° corners briefly in 1st gear (to brake with the engine even more whilst trail braking). Helps a bit with accelerating out of them as well. You can cut the first kink of the chicane pretty far in, but not the left one. Increase the rear toe (outward) to make the car a bit more responsive into the corners.

That was a good night. Couldn't find the server to set a qualifying lap, managing to get in just in time to setup the car for the race during the grid countdown. Then I was struggling for the last thirty seconds of the timer to get any form of sound to work, which I couldn't so that was an interestingly quiet race with just the sounds of my PC fans whirring away in pain. Enjoyed racing with Olivia and Valver for the final point available until they left me in the dust.

Then in the second race I fell for the psych out of the tyre talk. I hadn't even noticed the weather but after all that chat that it was going to rain and no one forthcoming about strategy I gambled on wet tyres and tumbled down the pack. There must have been one hell of a crash because despite being 9 seconds a lap slower, I still managed to pit and come out in 7th. Unless other foolish mortals fell for the same "oh it's going to rain" trick.

I think if that was daylight and Meerman could see the corners he would have gobbled me up quite easily after my pit. Thankfully we both seemed to be making awful mistakes on that last lap.

I would be interesting to know what setups other VR drivers use to get that extra information like the map and timings to be useful. There is so much information presented when simply playing on a monitor that it makes it much easier to take avoiding action from other cars. Even without sound. The radar I don't really see being useful as you can just look left or right but the map would really have helped not murder Scooby last week.

Thanks for the races chaps, very enjoyable. I had a great battle with Mr Majestyk in race 1, really cool stuff. The reverse grid Race 2 was a bit of a nightmare which started with me embarrassingly t-boning SneakyNinja at the chicane, sorry dude. It got worse from there with a couple of spins into the barriers and resulting car damage requiring a long pit stop. Still, it was good to get some more experience night driving. I'm absolutely loving ACC, I have to say. 

Interesting night.  Enjoyed both races despite my dislike of the track, but I'm not sure what I was thinking at the start of race 2 when I missed the braking, so sorry for those I hit.  I remember feeling disoriented being on the right side of the track, but otherwise I'm not sure what was going through my head at that point.  This game definitely makes me feel like a noob at times, but this was embarrassing on my part.  Apologies!!

Aye, that was great! I was surprised at my pace too. It's a real shame @SharkyOB went off in the second race giving me an easy overtake, I knew I was catching and was looking forward to the battle. My apologies to @Olivia Neutron Bomb, there was some contact that was definitely my fault on lap one, but looking at the replay he didn't lose any places. My sudden spin was @SANtoOos going for the gap as just as I was shutting the door, I don't recall hearing "car on your right", so didn't know he was so close - pure racing incident. :)

lot happened on the first lap or two for all involved in all fairness. :) 

The Merc felt really good, will be interesting to see how it is around Spa. It's been nice to find some real form toward the end of this season. A similar thing happened in the old F1 league, where @kiroquai came up with some humorous awards - I believe I won the award called "So that's how you drive these things!" ;)