Assetto Corsa Competizione

2 very different races for me.  Was happy with qualifying 8th.  And then spannered my own car on the first lap, spinning off on cold tyres, and hitting the wall at the full throttle 3rd gear right (Turn 3).  I got some light damage, and never really recovered from dropping to the back...  all self inflicted.  Final position 11th.  Hmmpf.

But every cloud and all that - that meant I started 3rd on the grid for Race 2.    I got a decent launch and was looking to get up the inside of @mrben09 at the first corner.  As the replay then shows (currently uploading to youtube...) two missiles in the form of @Meers and @davejm then annihilated the front runners :D

Down to the back again.   Double Hmpf.  But that wasnt the end of my race - I drove at a steady pace and kept it on track, only to see loads of cars spin out in front of me.  It looked like carnage up ahead and I just seemed to keep capitalising on others falling off track.  Apologies to @davejm who I caught up to at Turn 1 on one lap, and I just tapped his bumper as he turned in, causing him to spin out...  I went to let him past when he caught up a little later, only to find it wasn't him and it was @Thor.  Doh! :hat:   (like I could've held off his pace for more than a corner or two anyway!!)

I was very surprised to find I eventually finished 3rd!  The replay looks crazy...

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Here, have some highlights of Race 2. I've got Race 1 uploading now. :)

My Race 2 highlight vid shows the crash at the front for turn 1 really clearly.  I'll post that too when its baked.

Edit 1:  Here's Sprint Race 1 highlights:

Edit 2:  Sprint Race 2 Highlights

My internet died in the second race because i was shouting the most horrific swears so loud it shook my cat 5 cable out of my pc ;) well it almost did, I had to quit and go outside and give my head a shake I was just so flippin angry. I think my dog actually lost some respect he had previously had for me seeing me so wound up over a videogame :blush:

with that in mind I NEED TO RANT just to clear the air really.

Total waste of time having a reverse grid when the faster drivers just smash in to you repeatedly.

I am really slow, I accept it, but I try to get better and put time in each week to learn the circuits and gradually build up my experience. it is really disheartening when thor, who himself admits he has too many incidents, has 2 incidents with me in the first 7 laps both of which were just him being reckless and frankly not giving a flying fig about other drivers.

@Thor you have the pace by the bucket load, you would pass me cleanly eventually, hell if you had waited another lap I would have binned it on an easy corner just because i cant take the pressure.

BUT If we all drove that way, it would be a complete disaster and it makes me feel like a mug every time I back off out of respect for the rest of you.

Rant over, hugs to all involved, no lasting harm or grudges held, it is just a game, on to the next race.

XOXO

2 very different races for me.

1st race was going pretty well, with some excellent racing with Count Buffalo, and judged well to know when to let it go and no contact was had during it. Suddenly near the end the fuel light came on and I had to lift off watching Dave getting closer and closer, eventually losing power on the final straight as I crossed the line :D 

2nd race was a write off from the moment I went on the wets! Pitted to change back to slicks, didn't have the tick for change tyres selected, so came back out on wets. Pitted again and was trying to adjust the menu and missed the limiter, so got on slicks but with a 30s stop-go :D though for the record at the first corner carnage I got boinked by a car going sideways and the game DIDNT GIVE ME THE SAFETY PENALTY - woohoo! 

14 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

2 very different races for me.

1st race was going pretty well, with some excellent racing with Count Buffalo, and judged well to know when to let it go and no contact was had during it. Suddenly near the end the fuel light came on and I had to lift off watching Dave getting closer and closer, eventually losing power on the final straight as I crossed the line :D 

2nd race was a write off from the moment I went on the wets! Pitted to change back to slicks, didn't have the tick for chane tyres selected, so cam back out on wets. Pitted again and was trying to adjust the menu and missed the limiter, so got on slicks but with a 30s stop-go :D though for the record at the first corner carnage I got boinked by a car going sideways and the game DIDNT GIVE ME THE SAFETY PENALTY - woohoo! 

Oh man, I can't believe I took you with centimetres to spare!  I forgot to take a replay of the first race :(:D

You second race sounds like a nightmare.  I stuck with slicks because I've seen a few online league races in the wet and it takes a fair amount of rain before wet tyres become optimal, but it didn't actual rain at all in the end which is strange.  I'm seen some odd behaviour with weather in the multiplayer servers.

9 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I think if that was daylight and Meerman could see the corners he would have gobbled me up quite easily after my pit. Thankfully we both seemed to be making awful mistakes on that last lap.

It's one thing to catch up to someone, but an entirely different thing to overtake! I couldn't do it, as you stepped up your pace when I cought up with you, and you drove really defensively as I swarmed around you looking for a gap. Awesome racing!

8 hours ago, Valver said:

two missiles in the form of @Meers and @davejm then annihilated the front runners :D

I am so, so, so, so sorry about that, mate. In the dark and with a couple of cars in front of me, I missed my braking point for the first corner, even though I was aware that I had to brake sooner than usual (I have plenty of experience with scenarios like this and rarely fuck it up, but I did fuck it up now). As @davejm said - this game makes you feel like a n00b sometimes. At first I thought I was hit from behind first before I contacted with you, but looking at the replay it's clear that was not the case.

Also massive apologies to @Olivia Neutron Bomb. I tapped you at some point in the first race. I gave you the position back before the end of the lap though. In the 2nd race i thought you went wide, so I took the inside line, but then you cut back into the corner and we collided. :(

Also a note to everyone not using Discord yet - please do. It makes things like this much easier to communicate.

Great night of racing and really interesting as always!

Race 1 was pretty uneventful for me, started 2nd and finished 2nd.  Didn't have the pace to challenge @Thorand couldn't break into the 1:45s even though I'd managed a 1:45.5 in pratice.

Race 2 was more eventful, I basically got really lucky when wrecking ball @davejm barrelled up the inside of me in turn 1 taking everyone out ahead!  I think I'd managed to go from pretty much last to 4th in the first lap, and then got past everyone else over the next couple of laps to lead.  I knew Thor was probably the driver I needed to worry about most and when I saw he'd made it up to 2nd I just tried to get into the zone and be consistent.  Didn't work out though, on the second chicane I was taking my normal racing line from practice/race 1 and running really wide on the exit.  Something about night and lower tyre pressures meant that I lost the car twice on the corner, hitting the wall both times.  After the first one I was still ahead and the car was fine, but the second one caused more damage and Thor was so close behind me I decided to let him go.  Had no real pace in the car after that and my headlights were cutting out in braking zones, which was fun :o  I think Thor was over 10 seconds ahead of me by the end of the race so there's no way I'd have been able to put up a fight after the second crash.

Nice to welcome @SANtoOos to the league and I can't wait for Spa!  Really nervous about this and next season now though, Thor is way too fast and the pace is closing up between all of us :D

Here are the results guys...

Well done to @Thor again, phenomenal pace.  Great to have @SANtoOos with us, it's good to have a larger field.

Really close in the standings between myself, @Mr Majestyk, @batistutauk and @Valver.  The final race is going to be interesting!!  Roll on Spa next week.

Results - Round 6 & 7

image.thumb.png.3e16a2b3598f40dd99fc1f711776b835.png

Simsource Result Data

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/v7dq070be65d?tab-=practice

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/v7dq070be65d?tab-=qualifying

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/v7dq070be65d?tab-=race-1

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/v7dq070be65d?tab-=race-2

Just a general note to take it easier at turn 1 folks.  You shouldn't even be trying to use your normal braking point on lap 1, for starters it's very unlikely you'll be at the same speed as a flying lap so trying to do that is kinda silly.  You're also not going to pass 5 cars like you're racing the AI on a Codemasters F1 game.

Look at what the other cars ahead are doing and react to that, the track is irrelevant at that point.  Make sure you're aware of other cars around you before you change position on the track too, if you're in any doubt stay on the same line.

8 hours ago, Olivia Neutron Bomb said:

has 2 incidents with me in the first 7 laps both of which were just him being reckless and frankly not giving a flying fig about other drivers.

I counted only one: At the tight chicane where, yes, I was reckless, I apologise (again). However, what was the second one? The only thing I can think of is where I passed you on the outside a lap later, but that was of no consequence to either of us, and I got no warning about track limits or anything like that. 

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I may as well be watching someone play Pac-Man with those night replays. It's just a series of lights moving around in the dark.

If it's dark in this game, it's pitch-black. :o

26 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Thor is way too fast and the pace is closing up between all of us :D

Let's see how Spa goes. I know this is sacrilege, but I've never actually been that big a fan of the track. In all the racing games I have played over the years I have always hated turn 12 (Pouhon) - I either run wide, or go too slow losing loads of time. 

28 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Just a general note to take it easier at turn 1 folks.  You shouldn't even be trying to use your normal braking point on lap 1, for starters it's very unlikely you'll be at the same speed as a flying lap so trying to do that is kinda silly.  You're also not going to pass 5 cars like you're racing the AI on a Codemasters F1 game.

Look at what the other cars ahead are doing and react to that, the track is irrelevant at that point.  Make sure you're aware of other cars around you before you change position on the track too, if you're in any doubt stay on the same line.

Yeah, gotta be mindful of the basics at all times.  My main problem (now that I seem to be finding some pace and general race craft from week to week) is that my mind wanders sometimes.  Last night was a repeat of the first corner incident at Bathurst; the difference here is that I was on the inside; so instead of just running off the track I ran into folk :(  On both occasions I vaguely remember thinking about something strategy related (fuel load, or something or other) but if you don't focus on the basics (especially as a new sim racer) it's a recipe for disaster. 

2 minutes ago, Valver said:

I bloody love Spa - and I know it quite well.  So I just know next week is going to be a disaster for me :lol:  edit:  just seen the above - rain!!  oh f**k

Maybe not.  The weather will still be dynamic, and I'm not going to bump up the sliders that far.  Just gonna increase the variance value slightly above what I've done for the other races.

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Not just turn one. It was all bit too much BTCC 'push to pass' for me last night. It's endurance racing, and there are two parts to it.. being able to drive fast laps, and being able to drive in a pack. In addition to @SharkyOB's point above, I'd say you need to anticipate what's going to happen, rather than react to it. If you wait until you see brake lights on the car in front, you're probably going to hit him.

I'd forgotten all about it, but many years ago I did some races in a Live For Speed league, and they had some really good guidelines about racing etiquette, which I obviously can't find now, but the KEY rule was never, ever, ever, rear end someone because you've out braked yourself. Far better to throw yourself into the gravel than endure the shame of committing that cardinal sin. And that rule has stuck with me ever since.

Anyway. Bumper cars aside.... I loved the 2nd race last night from a VR at night and changing conditions point of view. My bastard 911 got VERY twitchy mid race which saw me lose a lot pace. Then all my pace in one go as I speared off at the blind 'jumpy' left hander and wrecked the car against the barrier. Lengthy repair in the pits, and 4th to 10th then. Bum.

3 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Not just turn one. It was all bit too much BTCC 'push to pass' for me last night. It's endurance racing, and there are two parts to it.. being able to drive fast laps, and being able to drive in a pack. In addition to @SharkyOB's point above, I'd say you need to anticipate what's going to happen, rather than react to it. If you wait until you see brake lights on the car in front, you're probably going to hit him.

I'd forgotten all about it, but many years ago I did some races in a Live For Speed league, and they had some really good guidelines about racing etiquette, which I obviously can't find now, but the KEY rule was never, ever, ever, rear end someone because you've out braked yourself. Far better to throw yourself into the gravel than endure the shame of committing that cardinal sin. And that rule has stuck with me ever since.

Anyway. Bumper cars aside.... I loved the 2nd race last night from a VR at night and changing conditions point of view. My bastard 911 got VERY twitchy mid race which saw me lose a lot pace. Then all my pace in one go as I speared off at the blind 'jumpy' left hander and wrecked the car against the barrier. Lengthy repair in the pits, and 4th to 10th then. Bum.

Yeah totally, it's a weird one for me to explain but it's a combination of anticipation and reacting to the body language (strange term, but I can't think of anything better) of the car(s) ahead when I'm racing close with someone and especially in the pack at turn one.  It's not brake lights as such, more the way the car is/cars are moving on the track.

I completely agree with that guideline, there's really no excuse for running into the back of someone when you're battling one-on-one.  Side-to-side contact sometimes happens if you're up the inside and the other driver doesn't want to cede the corner, but that's a different thing to rear-ending someone.

I'm sure you'd be quicker over a race distance if you didn't drive the widow maker :lol:

Thinking about it, after some of you guys mentioned disliking certain tracks... I like most tracks, apart from Monaco and all other walled-in street tracks. They are just too narrow.

8 minutes ago, Meers said:

Thinking about it, after some of you guys mentioned disliking certain tracks... I like most tracks, apart from Monaco and all other walled-in street tracks. They are just too narrow.

Some street circuits are decent and I kind of like Monaco.  Paul Ricard though....

14 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Yeah totally, it's a weird one for me to explain but it's a combination of anticipation and reacting to the body language (strange term, but I can't think of anything better) of the car(s) ahead when I'm racing close with someone and especially in the pack at turn one.  It's not brake lights as such, more the way the car is/cars are moving on the track.

I completely agree with that guideline, there's really no excuse for running into the back of someone when you're battling one-on-one.  Side-to-side contact sometimes happens if you're up the inside and the other driver doesn't want to cede the corner, but that's a different thing to rear-ending someone.

It also depends on who you're racing against - are they more/equally/less experienced as yourself, is their driving style predictable or erratic, are their lines different than yours...

You'll only learn someone else's driving style by racing each other a lot. I had a great scrap with @SweatyTravolta in the 2nd race. His style is predictable, even in his defending my attacks. But he wasn't aggressive or abrupt, just smooth which helped me judge his behaviour and I never hit him once even though we were bumper-to-bumper. And I just couldn't get past him. :hat:

So I guess what I'm trying to say is - drive predictable and don't make any sudden moves that can't be anticipated. And as Travolta proved, you can still be fast whilst driving predictable.

13 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I would be interesting to know what setups other VR drivers use to get that extra information like the map and timings to be useful. There is so much information presented when simply playing on a monitor that it makes it much easier to take avoiding action from other cars. Even without sound. The radar I don't really see being useful as you can just look left or right but the map would really have helped not murder Scooby last week.

I have the map on in VR. Quite often without mirrors as they're distracting and a performance hit. But there's an option to move the HUD overlays kind of into and out of your field of view. 

In-game keys to adjust the HUD and Menu layers are CTRL+left/right to move forward/backward, and CTRL+shift+left/right to scale up/down.

More here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/805550/discussions/0/1836811737981695277/

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Also massive apologies to @Olivia Neutron Bomb. I tapped you at some point in the first race. I gave you the position back before the end of the lap though. In the 2nd race i thought you went wide, so I took the inside line, but then you cut back into the corner and we collided. :(

No apology required I rage quit because I was still seething from earlier events. And I noticed you letting me pass in the race before which was very sportsmanly

@Thor

2 hours ago, Thor said:

The only thing I can think of is where I passed you on the outside a lap later, but that was of no consequence to either of us, and I got no warning about track limits or anything like that. 

All four wheels over the whiteline, That was the one that annoyed me the most, you had no room to make the pass, you did have the option to get your nose infront of mine by taking a line out of limits and then just shove my car out of the way when you rejoined the track to avoid the grass, if I had tried to overtake on the outside like that I would have eased off or ridden the grass a bit and pulled in behind, if your line takes you through another driver, its not viable.

There was no consequence really I guess other than track position for the next turn and the overall race position you gained.

Regardless, dissapointingly for me you are convinced you did no wrong so this will no longer be an issue as from now on you will get all the room you need if you are ever in a position behind me again, as I will take a safe line well out of your way, I would rather steer clear than go through the tedium of arguing about it on here.

No doubt I just come off as being a sore loser, but its really not that, I just want a clean race and for everyone to drive with mutual respect and it really cheeses me off when the top drivers just shove the slower less skilled ones out of the way, perhaps that's just racing though and I need to suck it up.