rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - 9pm BST 4th June - Games Event

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

It’s usb-c

1ED0582E-CEED-4B61-850A-492376EE097A.jpeg.4225651276207d2e4afe8899076a314e.jpeg

I reckon that line of colour around the touchpad will be enough for the PS camera to detect it still and be used for PSVR.  Maybe with more power the motion detection routines on the camera can be more accurate and so need less than the Ps4 does?

1 minute ago, DC Lemon said:

Ugh, does it even have gyro? Not that they made much use of it with the DS4 but I have all but retired from aiming to shoot with a right stick after three years of Switch.

Well, if PS5 has no gyro you can either switch...  or Switch.

So Dual Shock was called that because it had two vibration motors, what makes this "dual sense"? Touch and... microphone?

I mean the honest answer is that they just decided that "Dual Something" was just the kind of name they were stuck with for brand recognition.

I’m glad it’s not another DualShock, but not liking the aesthetics, the console is going to look like something out of Oblivion (the movie, not the game)

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

So Dual Shock was called that because it had two vibration motors, what makes this "dual sense"? Touch and... microphone?

I mean the honest answer is that they just decided that "Dual Something" was just the kind of name they were stuck with for brand recognition.

When the battery runs out we can call it Non Sense. 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Probably the fancy new triggers.

11 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Dunno.  Maybe to keep a sense of surprise on all aspects of the console?   Yeah I know it's a bit of a stretch on my part. Just trying to link it with the back button accessory they launched.

So the same accessory would work on the PS5 controller? Hate using add-ons they should have included the extra buttons in the controller.

So I guess psvr games won’t work on the ps5 as there is no light bar on the controller for it to track unless they’re doing something else to pick it out of your living room?

9 hours ago, Ferine said:

Obviously it's not round, but the PlayStation button is raised:

image.png.eca34d2c9bed578d8cfa3c8d859f5b19.png

You might note the Options/hamburger and Share/Create buttons aren't as flush as on the DS4, either.

Can’t understand why controller designers post GameCube persist with the perfectly circular plastic base surrounding the analogue stick. Those diagonals in the GameCube controller made perfect sense. How else can we be expected to play Monkey Ball?

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

So I guess psvr games won’t work on the ps5 as there is no light bar on the controller for it to track unless they’re doing something else to pick it out of your living room?

I was just thinking that - does this imply that there are finally going to be new controllers for PSVR (much needed) or that you'll have to use your Dualshock 4? I presume they will be compatible.

The sticks at least look sturdier than the cheap material used on the launch PS4 DS4; that stuff flaked away within a couple of months and I was barely playing any games that used analogue sticks.

Hopefully the battery life is a significant improvement over the DS4 too.

• Upvote 4

I feel it’d be a bit weird to make you use an old controller to play psvr games. I guess the wii kinda did that with the GameCube pad but it makes it a tough sell especially for people new to the platform.

I quite like the design to be honest, and I'm interested to try the haptic feedback and see if it's really much different to HD Rumble. What Microsoft have done with their controller is quite lazy and disappointing for me, in contrast with the console itself. One of the exciting things about a new gen is getting to try new controllers for the first time in years and there won't be that pleasure with the Series X.

5 minutes ago, gospvg said:

So the same accessory would work on the PS5 controller? Hate using add-ons they should have included the extra buttons in the controller.

There doesn't seem to be an accessory jack on the bottom of the pad, just a headphone socket. So either it's gone altogether or they're going to sell a better Dual Sense Pro controller for £150 with back paddles etc. Which seems like something Sony would be extremely in to.

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I was just thinking that - does this imply that there are finally going to be new controllers for PSVR (much needed) or that you'll have to use your Dualshock 4? I presume they will be compatible.

I think they can assume that if you have a PSVR for PS4, you also have the PS4 controller what goes with it. So until PSVR2 comes out, which may work completely different on PS5 and therefore not need that silly huge lamp on the back, that could very well be the way it works.

29 minutes ago, DC said:

I really wish they’d move the left stick. The Xbox pad is a lot more comfortable to me because of that.

I can not believe Xbox crazies are still making this same idiotic post ten years later. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

Hmm, this makes me more confident that they're going to do a Pro pad:

Now, let’s talk about the colors. Traditionally our base controllers have a single color. 

• Empathy 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I think they can assume that if you have a PSVR for PS4, you also have the PS4 controller what goes with it. So until PSVR2 comes out, which may work completely different on PS5 and therefore not need that silly huge lamp on the back, that could very well be the way it works.

All the modern tech is invisible, right? PSVR is the only VR system using visible lights and that's a legacy of the old Move tech (and comes with a bunch of limitations and tracking issues).

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

Hmm, this makes me more confident that they're going to do a Pro pad:

Now, let’s talk about the colors. Traditionally our base controllers have a single color. 

I think they meant to put a -d after 'base'

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

There doesn't seem to be an accessory jack on the bottom of the pad, just a headphone socket. So either it's gone altogether or they're going to sell a better Dual Sense Pro controller for £150 with back paddles etc. Which seems like something Sony would be extremely in to.

I've not seen any images of the back of the controller? A Pro controller would not surprise me.

Maybe it'll just have standard bluetooth this time around? 

Ha ha ha, listen to me.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DC said:

I really wish they’d move the left stick. The Xbox pad is a lot more comfortable to me because of that.

4 minutes ago, Broker said:

I can not believe Xbox crazies are still making this same idiotic post ten years later. 

Ten? At this point it's closer to twenty.

7 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I feel it’d be a bit weird to make you use an old controller to play psvr games. I guess the wii kinda did that with the GameCube pad but it makes it a tough sell especially for people new to the platform.

The move controllers are from the PS3 and they definitively the best way to play on PSVR.

• Upvote 1

I prefer the symmetrical sticks. One of the reasons I prefer the Wii U Pro Controller to the Switch Pro Controller.

• Upvote 2

All the modern tech is invisible, right? PSVR is the only VR system using visible lights and that's a legacy of the old Move tech (and comes with a bunch of limitations and tracking issues).

Afaik yeah. That's why I think it makes sense that the PS5 controllers don't need that light for whatever they have in mind for PSVR2. And it makes sense to simply say, for this legacy hardware you need the legacy controllers that go with it. That's not unreasonable. 

To put it another way, it doesn't make sense - never mind dual sense - to go to the effort to make the new controllers work with old PSVR hardware when you can assume there's new PSVR2 hardware coming at some point which will work differently because VR tech has come a long way since.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Maybe it'll just have standard bluetooth this time around? 

Ha ha ha, listen to me.

All of the wireless Dual Shocks have been ordinary Bluetooth. You can use them on a PC, iPhone etc. Drivers have been an issue of course.

Well, iOS 13 and whatever the current version of Steam is support it natively, but you know what I mean.

• Upvote 1

ECD2E1B5-2505-47C2-B719-8078A6DDBF0D.jpeg.5d2fda2d807894cff6be6a8e58497dea.jpeg

The styling is very similar to the PS VR headset. I reckon they’ll announce matching VR controllers (decent ones, this time), and a soft update to the VR headset with increased resolution and POV etc, but keep it compatible with the old one.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

PSVR2 is blatantly going to be the inside out variety so won't need a camera or lights.  Like the Quest.