rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - DualSense controller announced

Haptic feedback sounds interesting still. Although isn’t that essentially HD Rumble?

in built mic is good. I think that means voice controlled UI is a thing with no need to link a google home to the console?

• Upvote 1

Can’t unsee the all black mock-up with the traditionally coloured buttons now and, frankly, the genie is out of the bottle. The real version doesn’t just look worse, it doesn’t make sense anymore. 

I like the shape though, looks plenty comfortable.

• Empathy 1

Are there paddles on the back, like the add-on they recently released, and the Steam controller? 

Also, calling it now, the 'Create' button means they're shipping Dreams with every console sold. 

I reckon there are extra back buttons and that’s maybe why we haven’t got a full 360 yet. Keep some surprises maybe. 

also maybe keeping it dual tone means leaving the option to go black or white with the launch console.  

Why would they announce it without mentioning them if they existed?

• Upvote 1

It’s almost like their messaging on all of this has been vague and confusing as fuck.

• Empathy 1

5 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

The light bar being the way it is means that this won't be any use for VR, surely?

I guess they'll just do a WiiU and suggest that people who want to play PS4 VR games in backwards compatibility should use the peripherals for their old system.

Ah, I think the small button under the PS icon is mic mute. I'd assumed the mic icon referred to the jack underneath, but it would make sense for the mic symbol to be related to the button instead. Presumably it would also mute your headset mic if you had one connected.

It's... a design alright. Not convinced by the looks, as people have said it looks like a Mad Catz product, but as long as it's comfortable to hold and works well, who cares. Touching is believing, as they say. 

Bodes extremely well for the design of the PS5 itself, in a 'this is going to be entertaining' way. I really hope it's a design along the same lines, it would be 'different' at least. Like, "Syfy channel presents the PlayStation 5".  I'll buy it anyway and I love it when hardware makers dare to be batshit - "it needs a handle on the back!", or "the controller needs to look like a banana!", that kind of thing we don't see enough of.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

5B50EB59-C3A0-4212-8A19-A0FD4C0B4A45.jpeg

Okay this has ruined it forever though.

• Upvote 1

The haptic feedback and resistive triggers sound cool, as always with these you can’t really make any kind of judgement until it’s in your hands, but it’s a thumbs up looks wise, I like it. 

I found the PS4 controller gave me strain when playing FPSs because the handles are too short. Couldn't grip and press L2 while moving with the left thumbstick. I'd have to lie down and rest it on my lap. The longer handles might alleviate that, but it's such a boring thing that the new pad is revealed and it's like they've long settled on this purely adequate design. The Gamecube pad did more ergonomically than any other pad after it. It wasn't designed to be perfect for FPSs, the c stick was tiny, the shoulder buttons too deep, but it massively improved the enjoyment of playing adventure and racing games, you knew it was designed for them. I don't want Sony to just switch the d pad and left thumbstick making it look more like the xbox pad, but do more with overall shape, and size of the buttons.

54 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I reckon there are extra back buttons and that’s maybe why we haven’t got a full 360 yet. Keep some surprises maybe. 

also maybe keeping it dual tone means leaving the option to go black or white with the launch console.  

52 minutes ago, footle said:

46 minutes ago, jonamok said:

It’s almost like their messaging on all of this has been vague and confusing as fuck.

:slowclap:

an excellent setup of a straw man...

I quite like it. From a design perspective it’s amazing how they’ve made the front of the controller look like the back of a controller.

I really wish they’d move the left stick. The Xbox pad is a lot more comfortable to me because of that.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Definitely needed back buttons/more buttons

a wasted opputunity

1 hour ago, Phil said:

You’ve made this post twice now, once with words and once with pictures. Any particular reason? BTW, it also looks like the Switch Pro controller and that looks like the Xbox controller too.

To upset you I'd guess.

1 hour ago, footle said:

Dunno.  Maybe to keep a sense of surprise on all aspects of the console?   Yeah I know it's a bit of a stretch on my part. Just trying to link it with the back button accessory they launched.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

giphy (10).gif

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Phil Collins is on board

collins.jpg

And with haptic feedback he will definitely feel it coming in the air tonight...in varying degrees.

Ugh, does it even have gyro? Not that they made much use of it with the DS4 but I have all but retired from aiming to shoot with a right stick after three years of Switch.

• Upvote 1