Jump to content
rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - DualSense controller announced

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, cohen205 said:

worryingly, i think we are only going to be looking at slightly better graphics, and quicker load times.

 

Exciting huh?

Is it that worrying though? 

 

Given the number of games in rllmuks top 10 of the decade that were Switch / ps3/360 gen... 

 

Big ol shrug.  I'm so over console wars and chasing the upgrade dragon.  Given the best games I've played in recent memory are Slay the Spire and Hollow Knight, the shines have no hold over me any more. 

 

Feelsgoodman. 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its worrying for me, as i want them to use the extra power to show us new things, not just fancier graphics and load times.

 

I also don't want to pay top dollar for something a little bit better than what i have now. The PS4 still has a lot of mileage imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need new machines to do new things, really.  It's the consumerist lie that keep people upgrading.  

 

Look at games like Outer Wilds, or Obra Dinn.  Those games don't need super hardware to do interesting things. The restriction is one of money and risk averse publishing, not hardware capability! 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Yeah diminishing returns will only increase.

 

And its definitely a thing where going forward has less of an impact than going back. - Going from 1080p to 4K isn't a huge jump... But live with it for a while and look back at 1080P and it will be much more noticable.

 

I agree, it's small little refinements that don't look great over a single generation but if you then step back after immersing yourself in the current generation, it's so difficult to imagine going back.

 

I've recently been gaming on PC with a 140Mhz Monitor in 2K and just going back to a PS4 game in 1K at 60hz feels like stepping back in time. It doesn't mean it's bad, it's just that we've moved on. And even with my decent PC, we're now on 6K monitors and 200Mhz refresh rates! However, going back to a Mega Drive or SNES game, then playing Tomb Raider on the PlayStation is a lesson in how stunningly unique the transition was from 16-bit 2D games to stunning 3D Worlds on the 32-bit generation. We're just not in that place at the moment and arguably, unless we get a true VR imperceptible from reality, we probably never will again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are seriously underestimating the triple threat of decent CPU, guaranteed SSD and ray tracing hardware. The new consoles represent a far more significant technological leap than the PS4/Xbox One, a generation that's actually set us up well for the next due to the numerous tricks they pushed developers to iterate on; things like temporal anti-aliasing and other image reconstruction techniques are genuinely good at this point.

 

Importantly we also know that the new consoles will be backwards compatible, so if you have the budget it actually makes a fair bit of sense to sell off your old console and get the new one – I'd expect them to be supply constrained for a while.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be a lot more reluctant to upgrade if I had bought a pro or X, but running the standard PS4 and One, and just buying a 4K OLED, I'm awfully tempted to buy a launch machine.

 

If the PS5 have system exclusives, and the Xbox doesn't, then the question of which one answers itself.

 

Then I'll ignore the PS5, and keep playing my switch.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that's why i'm a little apprehensive about upgrading to the PS5 straight away.... i play mostly on Switch.

 

Although I NEED my PS4 for TLOU2 and FFVII remake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I think people are seriously underestimating the triple threat of decent CPU, guaranteed SSD and ray tracing hardware.

In what way? I'll bet 100 rllmukpounds that we don't see a significantly new type / genre of game, that isn't already possible, within the first year of the next gen. 

 

I have no doubt things will look shinier. But that doesn't really whet my whistle any more, like. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, robdood said:

In what way? I'll bet 100 rllmukpounds that we don't see a significantly new type / genre of game, that isn't already possible, within the first year of the next gen. 

 

That's got nothing to do with the hardware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

 

That's got nothing to do with the hardware. 

I know... but that's what we were discussing, when Ferine made a comment about underestimating hardware.  

 

It's still just shinies.  Do we really still care? Do they make things that much better?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robdood said:

You don't need new machines to do new things, really.  It's the consumerist lie that keep people upgrading.  

 

Look at games like Outer Wilds, or Obra Dinn.  Those games don't need super hardware to do interesting things. The restriction is one of money and risk averse publishing, not hardware capability! 

 

I watched the NoClip documentary about Outer Wilds, and I don't think that could've been done easily on older hardware. Lots of physics going on and events being tracked simultaneously across multiple locations.

 

I mean, they could maybe have done a wireframe version, like Battlezone :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Importantly we also know that the new consoles will be backwards compatible, so if you have the budget it actually makes a fair bit of sense to sell off your old console and get the new one – I'd expect them to be supply constrained for a while.

It had better let me copy over my copy of PT.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/12/2019 at 12:31, LowCostMonkey said:

Here's another picture of those DevKits. Just devkits of course, nothing to really learn. Apparently the reason for the large V shape is to make them more easily stackable for Devs.

 

image.thumb.png.9ba8b4d80a8967abb8ca22aee39fe175.png

" the devkits are shaped rather wankily and unsubtly like the roman numeral for 5. To such a degree that no one wanted to point it out as it was too embarassing. *They're also easier to stack for devs."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a 360 at launch, it had Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 2 and PGR2. I also bought a PS4 at launch with Battlefield 4. The jump from 360 Battlefield 4 to PS4 Battlefield 4 with was way more impressive than when I got the 360, it was so worth going from 32 player servers to 64, plus as others have mentioned the DPD lottery and the feeling of being part of something was exciting, I'm so ready to do it again bring it on!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, robdood said:

I know... but that's what we were discussing, when Ferine made a comment about underestimating hardware.  

 

It's still just shinies.  Do we really still care? Do they make things that much better?

They do for me . A better realised world , more NPCs , better resolution , solid frame rate , better looking , faster loading . 
 

I’m in .

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Its worrying for me, as i want them to use the extra power to show us new things, not just fancier graphics and load times.

 

I also don't want to pay top dollar for something a little bit better than what i have now. The PS4 still has a lot of mileage imo.

They didn’t really show us anything new on this gen of consoles though. The only real differences would be the introduction of Mass market consumer VR. So you can be sure it’ll be more of the same next gen. 

The next gen will be a strange one. There’s going to be so much customer cross over. Everything will be backward compatible and the perceived improvements might be tiny which could prevent people upgrading. 
We are now in a free to play generation so asking (finger in air guess) £69.99 for a launch game is going to be really hard to swallow too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They won’t be £70 . I have no problem with £60 . That’s still cheaper than 2002 . And we have more sales these days than ever .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mrpranny said:

" the devkits are shaped rather wankily and unsubtly like the roman numeral for 5. To such a degree that no one wanted to point it out as it was too embarassing. *They're also easier to stack for devs."

Do devs have problems stacking standard rectangular boxes, I wonder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:


To make a start on selling the same amount of PS5’s?


you can do that by making games that run smoother and with more effects on better hardware.   Point I’m making is that you can sell PS5’s and Xbox X’s without needing launch games be next gen exclusive for the first year. And the news emerging is the Sony and Microsoft agree with me.  Which is nice. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rafaqat said:


you can do that by making games that run smoother and with more effects on better hardware.   Point I’m making is that you can sell PS5’s and Xbox X’s without needing launch games be next gen exclusive for the first year. And the news emerging is the Sony and Microsoft agree with me.  Which is nice. 

Except Sony  have made no such announcement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Except Sony  have made no such announcement. 

You’re right.    Just a financial statement that says most (or was it some?) would also work on PS4. Not official at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

You’re right.    Just a financial statement that says most (or was it some?) would also work on PS4. Not official at all

That a bit of a leap from “ you don’t need exclusive next gen games in the first year”

 

I wonder what possible reason there could be behind this narrative . 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I played some Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution on the PS2, which in my memory was a stunning looking game and to be honest it still is quite a looker for 2003 standards. However I then went to VF5 a PS3 launch game and was gobsmacked at how much better it was. Not only the resolution bump but the true widescreen presentation, texture work and HD output makes a world of difference. In my minds eye though these games looked quite similar. It's only when you go back you realise how much improvement has taken place. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want the PS5 to be so blisteringly nuclear that it has to retail for £800+ at a loss. A lot of us pay more for annual phones.

 

We may as well go all out, for the gamers, the rest can pick it up with the price drop. Many of us will realistically be dead before PS6. Let’s do this one right.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Minion said:

I bought a 360 at launch, it had Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 2 and PGR2. I also bought a PS4 at launch with Battlefield 4. The jump from 360 Battlefield 4 to PS4 Battlefield 4 with was way more impressive than when I got the 360, it was so worth going from 32 player servers to 64, plus as others have mentioned the DPD lottery and the feeling of being part of something was exciting, I'm so ready to do it again bring it on!

This is the excitement I want to see!

 

Talking about the generational "jumps", my lasting memory in the run up to the 360 was the excitement for wireless controllers (no more wires!) and online co-op both becoming standard. It was a while before I got an HDTV.

 

For the current gen, it was easily recording video of amazing things you'd seen or done. Real game-changer. And the 64 player Batters was a big deal at the time, but it didn't have the legs the previous one had.

 

This time around, it's just, it's time. 7 years with this launch PS4. I had a Samsung S2 back then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just playing GOW5 or FH4 on a PC with ultra turned on and a plus 60fps framerate is clearly better than the Xbox1X version - if you’re just looking for shinies.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

That a bit of a leap from “ you don’t need exclusive next gen games in the first year”

 

I wonder what possible reason there could be behind this narrative . 


dunno Mang. Seems to have upset a lot of the usual fanboys that the first year is not going to be filled with next gen exclusive games taking advantage of the better cpu and SSD in ways never imagined before.  Which was the narrative a few weeks ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, footle said:

Just playing GOW5 or FH4 on a PC with ultra turned on and a plus 60fps framerate is clearly better than the Xbox1X version - if you’re just looking for shinies.

 

 


yeah, but the BOP...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rafaqat said:


dunno Mang. Seems to have upset a lot of the usual fanboys that the first year is not going to be filled with next gen exclusive games taking advantage of the better cpu and SSD in ways never imagined before.  Which was the narrative a few weeks ago. 


Ok, boomer :coffee:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.