PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20. £360 digital, £450 full fat. Launch games £70?!?!

I like it a lot.

I do have concern over the Home button though. Right now it’s a very pleasant to press or even double press. If it’s recessed then that could be a bit annoying. Would also prefer it to be round because round buttons just depress better.

I assume PS4 controllers will continue to work though? You have to assume the same for wheels n stuff right.

Just noticed the home button.  The PS4 home button is just so nice. Rounded. Easy to press. Not too big. That looks far less pleasant to press. The Xbox one is pretty nasty as it is too flush and needs more of an aimed pointed press down. 

• Upvote 2

So they didn’t go with the built-in extra back buttons? Despite all the speculation that the DS4 back button attachment was a precursor to this.

FWIW I don’t like it. Feels a bit too ‘convex’. And the two tone is gash. If it has to be two colours then make mine black and none-more-black please.

• Upvote 4
59 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I do have concern over the Home button though. Right now it’s a very pleasant to press or even double press. If it’s recessed then that could be a bit annoying. Would also prefer it to be round because round buttons just depress better.

40 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

Just noticed the home button.  The PS4 home button is just so nice. Rounded. Easy to press. Not too big. That looks far less pleasant to press. The Xbox one is pretty nasty as it is too flush and needs more of an aimed pointed press down. 

Obviously it's not round, but the PlayStation button is raised:

image.png.eca34d2c9bed578d8cfa3c8d859f5b19.png

You might note the Options/hamburger and Share/Create buttons aren't as flush as on the DS4, either.

• Upvote 1

God between the clear buttons, the two tone and the blue light it fully looks like a CG render from 2002 of what the PS3 might look like. I really hope the console matches.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Ah nice one. Well I guess that means the other little bar thing is possibly a light? For charging/power or perhaps the on off for the controller.

I assume it's a mute toggle for the built-in mic. That or it activates the AI assistant there was a patent going around for. Or both.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the sort of thing 14 year old me would have imagined 40 year old me gaming on!

It reminds me a little of a more streamlined, modernised Duke. It has that heft to it. Anyway, the haptics stuff sounds interesting, along with the pressure sensitive triggers. Looking forward to holding one!

I must say though, the default look of the controller with it's two tone black and white design might offer some sort of a hint as to what the PS5 itself will look like. Could be quite an unconventional look!

• Upvote 1
Spoiler

You’ve made this post twice now, once with words and once with pictures. Any particular reason? BTW, it also looks like the Switch Pro controller and that looks like the Xbox controller too.

Haptic feedback sounds interesting still. Although isn’t that essentially HD Rumble?

in built mic is good. I think that means voice controlled UI is a thing with no need to link a google home to the console?

• Upvote 1

Can’t unsee the all black mock-up with the traditionally coloured buttons now and, frankly, the genie is out of the bottle. The real version doesn’t just look worse, it doesn’t make sense anymore. 

I like the shape though, looks plenty comfortable.

• Empathy 1

Are there paddles on the back, like the add-on they recently released, and the Steam controller? 

Also, calling it now, the 'Create' button means they're shipping Dreams with every console sold. 

I reckon there are extra back buttons and that’s maybe why we haven’t got a full 360 yet. Keep some surprises maybe. 

also maybe keeping it dual tone means leaving the option to go black or white with the launch console.  

5 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

The light bar being the way it is means that this won't be any use for VR, surely?

I guess they'll just do a WiiU and suggest that people who want to play PS4 VR games in backwards compatibility should use the peripherals for their old system.

Ah, I think the small button under the PS icon is mic mute. I'd assumed the mic icon referred to the jack underneath, but it would make sense for the mic symbol to be related to the button instead. Presumably it would also mute your headset mic if you had one connected.

It's... a design alright. Not convinced by the looks, as people have said it looks like a Mad Catz product, but as long as it's comfortable to hold and works well, who cares. Touching is believing, as they say. 

Bodes extremely well for the design of the PS5 itself, in a 'this is going to be entertaining' way. I really hope it's a design along the same lines, it would be 'different' at least. Like, "Syfy channel presents the PlayStation 5".  I'll buy it anyway and I love it when hardware makers dare to be batshit - "it needs a handle on the back!", or "the controller needs to look like a banana!", that kind of thing we don't see enough of.

• Upvote 5
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Showcase Wednesday, September 16 at 9pm
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic