rllmuk

PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20. £360 digital, £450 full fat. Launch games £70?!?!

55 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Obsolete? I either trade in my old controllers for someone else to use or keep using them on old systems.

Only time a fifty quid controller goes in the bin is if it’s knackered.

Over the next few years, having spare PS4 controllers will be largely pointless if you have a PS5. The second you want to play a PS5 game in local multiplayer, you have to buy extra PS5 pads and unless you’re still using your old PS4, they’re essentially redundant.  

I want a full Cerny breakdown of the rubber used on the new sticks, and why I won’t need to do the bone-stick-switch (bonex?) on ps5 pads

Too many of those products seem to be an unrealistic €50. No way is the controller that low. The headphones are supposed to be fancy, right? So hardly that low either. Camera would presumably be more too.

• Upvote 3
6 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Interesting that the PS4 camera works on PS5, but only with an adaptor (supplied free of charge at the cost of what sounds like some annoying admin.) Does that imply anything other than the port being a different shape? It presumably implies the PS5 one does something more, otherwise you'd just keep the same port because why not?

no one said a word when it was revealed that the boneX dropped the Kinect Port, and the adaptor was made available?

6 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Interesting that the PS4 camera works on PS5, but only with an adaptor (supplied free of charge at the cost of what sounds like some annoying admin.) Does that imply anything other than the port being a different shape? It presumably implies the PS5 one does something more, otherwise you'd just keep the same port because why not?

with a bit of luck they’ve gone usb-c for everything (particularly vr virtuallink), but I think we’ve seen a usb-a port?

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Over the next few years, having spare PS4 controllers will be largely pointless if you have a PS5. The second you want to play a PS5 game in local multiplayer, you have to buy extra PS5 pads and unless you’re still using your old PS4, they’re essentially redundant.  

I’d only have a PS4 controller if I had a PS4, otherwise I’d sell it or give it to someone else. Certainly not bin it.

If I want to play local multiplayer with any frequency I’ll just buy another pad, just like I did with all the other consoles I’ve ever owned.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I’d only have a PS4 controller if I had a PS4, otherwise I’d sell it or give it to someone else. Certainly not bin it.

If I want to play local multiplayer with any frequency I’ll just buy another pad, just like I did with all the other consoles I’ve ever owned.

You’ll just buy another pad which wouldn’t had to have been bought (or produced) if they made PS4 pads compatible? Sounds like we’re on the same page then. 

25 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Yeah, I’m quite surprised at all the outrage over something that has always been the same.

ah, but it’s not the same, is it? Not now MS have said their Xbox one controllers are forward compatible... :coffee:

• Upvote 2

Sony have got three things where they're doing something that they're going to press as being an advantage over the Xbox. Firstly, there's no cross-gen expectations for the first-party/exclusive stuff. So they're going to want that to look good. Secondly, they've got the faster SSD thing, so you can presumably expect stuff based on highlighting that. (I guess also whatever this 3D sound is as well, as a tenuous fourth one.)

Thirdly, they've got what they tell us is a more tactile, haptic controller thingy. They're clearly going to want to encourage people to develop for that, and not simply port across the current gen rumble stuff. Making a minority of the in-use PS5 pads support it (by dint of how many DS4s there must be in homes) would be a sure-fire way to undermine that from the start. Even without the profit motive of all the controllers sales, it's clearly not something they're going to do.

Now, of course it's up to you if you're sceptical about the amazing opportunities of what's easily characterised as just better rumble. But that's not their pitch.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1
2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Can’t believe no PS5 stuff in this Thursday direct.

Wtf are they doing.

Succeeding. In the real world barely anybody outside of forums gives a fuck about the Xbox, PS5 hype is always a thing. Unless something goes wrong like with the disaster that was Halo Infinite and the Craig meme, everything Xbox goes unnoticed. Even though I could never trust a Microsoft console again after the disaster the brand has endured since Kinect launched, I actually think MS have done a lot right recently (while Sony appear to be coasting) but it doesn't matter - normal people are only talking about PS5. The real delay is MS and Sony playing 'you go first' on price so the other can be reactionary.

Personally, aside from the super fast loading due to the SSD I find it hard to be excited about either console right now. Nothing is making me care about getting them day one. I will get a PS5 when the free GTA Online launches on it as that is my favourite game and the only one I regularly play but otherwise I think it would be a long time until I'd have bothered. I've been buying consoles on their launch date since the Dreamcast too (DC > Xbox > 360 > PS4) but just don't feel any pressing reason to do that with these two.

• Upvote 1

Yeah maybe, but regardless of what the competition are doing I just want some more details about the PS5 like price and release date. 

I was thinking now that Ghosts is out they’d move marketing focus onto their next console

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah maybe, but regardless of what the competition are doing I just want some more details about the PS5 like price and release date. 

I was thinking now that Ghosts is out they’d move marketing focus onto their next console

I think the problem with these consoles lies with the fact that there is very little to actually shout about. The drip feed keeps people talking.

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

You’ll just buy another pad which wouldn’t had to have been bought (or produced) if they made PS4 pads compatible? Sounds like we’re on the same page then. 

I don’t begrudge buying another pad seeing as how I’ve done it for everything I’ve ever owned since 1982.

Not sure why I’d suddenly expect pads to be backwards compatible? 

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

I don’t begrudge buying another pad seeing as how I’ve done it for everything I’ve ever owned since 1982.

Not sure why I’d suddenly expect pads to be backwards compatible? 

Forwards compatible.

besides, you’ll need to buy new pads for the PS5 because the battery life in your PS4 controllers will be fucked; certainly mine are on their last legs.

I don't see much reason why Sony don't leave it up to developers to decide if they want to support PS4 controllers in PS5 games. 

If the Dual Sense is noticeably better then people will just switch to that controller anyway. 

It‘s not a case of not “leaving it up to” developers, like they’re blocking something that inherently works. Sony would actually have to put in some effort to make it work, translating DS4 stick and trigger range in to the Dual Sense equivalent, and translating HD rumble in to conventional rumble.

It’s more a case of Sony “not even bothering” even though they would’ve had to already set up the reverse of all those things for backwards compatibility.

But again, if they do that, they hurt the chances that developers will make use of the Dual Sense (such an annoying name) features. If ~50% or more of the PS5 controllers end up being spare DS4s, why do you do anything interesting or useful with the haptics - especially when it already means you're only doing it for PS5? They're not going to shoot their own features in the foot.

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

But again, if they do that, they hurt the chances that developers will make use of the Dual Sense (such an annoying name) features. If ~50% or more of the PS5 controllers end up being spare DS4s, why do you do anything interesting or useful with the haptics - especially when it already means you're only doing it for PS5? They're not going to shoot their own features in the foot.

Because everyone is going to have a PS5 controller, and using a PS4 pad is optional, and only likely to be used for local multiplayer. 

• Upvote 2

And honestly how much play time is used on local multiplayer anyway? The idea that developers wouldn’t support the Dual Sense features if because people’s spare pads didn’t have them doesn’t exactly suggest developers are going to be falling over themselves to use the features in the first place.

• Upvote 1
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Showcase Wednesday, September 16 at 9pm
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic