rllmuk

PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20. £360 digital, £450 full fat. Launch games £70?!?!

12 hours ago, Jg15 said:

At this moment in time I would happily take an original Silent Hill remake, nothing captures the essence of the series than the first two games for me.

The rumours are that it's made by key people who worked on the first SH, including its director. Whether it's true or not remains to be seen.

Lol at the pro consumer champions, Microsoft, the company of £100 operating systems, bundling Internet Explorer with everything, billion dollar military contracts and PRISM.

Not saying that Sony ain’t about the dirty greed, but their anti-consumer practices amount to inconveniencing an individual’s capitalist choices and pushing people to buy more shiny electronics whereas Microsoft’s ambitions are legit about shaping everyday society or training the US army to be better at drone-striking Middle East weddings.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Lol at the pro consumer champions, Microsoft, the company of £100 operating systems, bundling Internet Explorer with everything, billion dollar military contracts and PRISM.

Not saying that Sony ain’t about the dirty greed, but their anti-consumer practices amount to inconveniencing an individual’s capitalist choices and pushing people to buy more shiny electronics whereas Microsoft’s ambitions are legit about shaping everyday society or training the US army to be better at drone-striking Middle East weddings.

This is a whole other conversation but those aren’t anti-consumer moves by Microsoft? The whole problem is that you can set up a genuinely effective and well regarded consumer business that is also an arm of the military-industrial-entertainment complex.

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

This is a whole other conversation but those aren’t anti-consumer moves by Microsoft? The whole problem is that you can set up a genuinely effective and well regarded consumer business that is also an arm of the military-industrial-entertainment complex.

It’s a little clumsy but I wanted to shoehorn in a ‘everybody is evil even your good guys narrative’.

The thing with the controllers isn’t because they want to save Alpha_Bigdawg55391 $50 or whatever, it is so they can try rinse him and then lock him in for a perpetual rinsing elsewhere.

And forcing all PC users to pay for Windows or killing dead Netscape and Opera is pretty anti-consumer and anti-competition tho. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Opera still exists though? I feel like if you're having to go back three decades and as many CEOs then you're struggling a bit to find any complaints about their current stuff.

That 90's "Bill Gates is the devil" shit is now being re-used by "5G causes Covid" types to protest his efforts towards vaccination programs, so I'm not really willing to treat that with respect.

• Upvote 2

I think no one is under the illusion that big corporations dont exist to make as much money as possible and putting on a consumer friendly stance is obviously in aim of this and would change if it no longer met that goal long term. 

However in its current form the xbox division is currently presenting good value to consumers and you can look at that independently. 

• Upvote 4
21 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Opera still exists though? I feel like if you're having to go back three decades and as many CEOs then you're struggling a bit to find any complaints about their current stuff.

It was only seven years ago we discovered that Microsoft had been aiding the US government by granting them full access to customers emails, Skype calls etc all over the world. Other tech companies had too but none as early or as enthusiastically as Microsoft. This was never that big a story in the UK where we just assume this sort of thing happens all the time but I know from friends in Europe there was much more outrage - plenty of it directed at Microsoft. I know the narrative here is Xbox struggled early on due to TV, TV, TV but I reckon worldwide PRISM hurt them much more, particularly given the next Xbox launched a few months after those revelations with a mandatory camera. 

• Upvote 2

If your answer to "Microsoft are pivoting to a services based gaming business model that presents fantastic value to the average consumer" is "yes but look at the work they did for the US government" I think other people are absolutely fair to point at that and call it a strawman.

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, Isaac said:

If your answer to "Microsoft are pivoting to a services based gaming business model that presents fantastic value to the average consumer" is "yes but look at the work they did for the US government" I think other people are absolutely fair to point at that and call it a strawman.

I reckon, given we're discussing anti-consumer practices, Microsoft giving up customers details worldwide to the US government just a few years ago is somewhat germane. It is possible for Gamepass to be great value and for Microsoft to have questionable privacy policies - the two aren't mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

What if the answer is "yes but it's at the expense of compelling first party content and hardware innovation, so I'm not interested"?

It's great Microsoft have found success going in a different direction, but Halo Infinite failed to impress and Sony delivered a very strong next-gen pitch out of the gate.

This is fine too if you believe that - but subjectivity about the content aside - it clearly presents good enough content for the value it presents and has plenty of third party software on there to provide variety outside of the first party xbox stuff which may not float your boat.

I actually think it is a good thing that the first party content of xbox and sony is so dividing - it means it is actually pretty different. I personally love stuff like God of War/Bloodborne/TLOU far more than the main xbox first party stuff at this time but I can't deny the objective quality of stuff like Forza Horizon, Gears 5, Ori etc and I can enjoy all that stuff with miminal cost or effort. The "I like Sony games" "I like xbox games" constant back and forth is really tiring to keep going over in these threads though because its the same five or six people shouting at each other! There is a good distinction of content on both which is great. You can like different things - you don't need to keep trying to convince the other side!

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

What if the answer is "yes but it's at the expense of compelling first party content and hardware innovation, so I'm not interested"?

Is it at the expense though? If Sony adopted the same pro-consumer stuff tomorrow, would their first party games suddenly poof out of existence somehow? One hasn't stopped or caused the other, so it's a non-sequitur, isn't it?

So then why argue against the pro-consumer stuff? Feels like the normal reaction would be "that'd be cool to have" and the only reason to argue against it would be if you were coming from such a fanboy perspective that any concession was seen as a defeat. That seems a pretty childish position for grown men to argue from, I dunno?

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
7 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Is it at the expense though? The two aren't related, as shown by Microsoft having pretty dismal first party at the start of the generation while also doing some anti-consumer stuff back then. One hasn't stopped or caused the other, so it's a non-sequitur.

So then why argue against the pro-consumer stuff? Feels like the normal reaction would be "that'd be cool to have" and the only reason to argue against it would be if you were coming from such a fanboy perspective that any concession was seen as a defeat. That seems a pretty childish position for grown men to argue from, I dunno?

It is baffling to me anyone would argue against it because competition pretty much always leads to good things. I recently signed up to a year of Playstation Now for around £22 via ebay and the selection and ability to download on there is pretty awesome and I suspect it had to pull its socks up to some degree because of competition in the space like Gamepass. I remember it starting out pretty expensive and barren.

• Upvote 4
3 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I'd question why people are in the PS5 thread concern trolling over Microsoft's so-called pro-consumer practices.

Is it concern trolling or just responding to some of the over the top arguments made in here?

People in here have been laying it on exceedingly thick only to not be able to back up their points the moment they're pinned down on it, I think it's fine (and fun!) to call that out.

• Upvote 2

I’m getting both and I’ll be enjoying everything Gamepass has to offer and third party games on the Series X and Sony’s exclusives on the PS5. Making the most of the strengths of each platform.

Am I doing this right?

• Upvote 6
18 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

concern trolling

There's that phrase again that people seem to use when they're out of arguments and want to shut the argument down.

Just buy all the consoles.  Lots of fun. 

18 minutes ago, Uzi said:

It is baffling to me anyone would argue against it because competition pretty much always leads to good things. I recently signed up to a year of Playstation Now for around £22 via ebay and the selection and ability to download on there is pretty awesome and I suspect it had to pull its socks up to some degree because of competition in the space like Gamepass. I remember it starting out pretty expensive and barren.

Yeah, I think PS Now compares pretty favourably to Game Pass these days. Obviously Microsoft have been laying on the price promotions thick to get people through the door, but the actual/eventual cost of Game Pass is £96 for a year; Ultimate is £132. Meanwhile PS Now is £50. (Naturally both can be found cheaper than the RRP.)

The big differentiator between the services is that Microsoft are doing day-one first-party releases, a move Sony is unlikely to mirror as the numbers don't make sense. However, if they better integrate Now into the PS5's OS I think a half-step with their first-party titles – like consistently adding them to the service once they've hit Greatest Hits status – would be enough to garner a lot of interest.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a few years of Now whilst it's cheap, as I'm guessing it's an area Sony will be investing in pretty heavily over the next few years.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

That 90's "Bill Gates is the devil" shit is now being re-used by "5G causes Covid" types to protest his efforts towards vaccination programs, so I'm not really willing to treat that with respect.

The last 10 pages whatever has been all what an altruistic company Microsoft are because their old controllers are the same as the new controllers. Real heroes of the people nonsense over a $50 toy.  So absolutely fine to call out what their corporate goals really are.  Let's hope their new vr headsets are forwards compatible with the latest hardware too.  

• Empathy 2
4 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

The last 10 pages whatever has been all what an altruistic company Microsoft are because their old controllers are the same as the new controllers. Real heroes of the people nonsense over a $50 toy.  So absolutely fine to call out what their corporate goals really are.  Let's hope their new vr headsets are forwards compatible with the latest hardware too.  

That's hyperbole again.  I think people have just said it'd be good if Sony did similar.   There's no illusion that either of them give a flying fuck about you or I.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

That's hyperbole again.  I think people have just said it'd be good if Sony did similar.   There's no illusion that either of them give a flying fuck about you or I.

Quite. When I buy a PS5 it would be convenient to be able to make use of a DS4 when once in a blue moon I want to play local multiplayer, and to spend the £50 I’d spend on the necessary second controller on a game instead. It’s not altruism on anyone’s part (just part of MS’s sales pitch). The reaction that this is utterly unreasonable, followed by posts about the dominance of Internet Explorer or the idea that software has a cost, is just weird.

• Upvote 2
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Showcase Wednesday, September 16 at 9pm
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic