PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20. £360 digital, £450 full fat. Launch games £70?!?!

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

Edit - the Darth Vader VR game looked kinda cool though. 

it didn’t really go down well on PC outside of Star Wars nuts, but was split up into episodes. Suspect squadrons will hit the itch more.

It's quite possible that Godfall is a decent game, but that wasn't the way to show it.

The above aside, lot of cool things in that presentation. The Pathless stood out to me because it's vaguely reminiscent of the movement in Galleon, a game I haven't thought about in a long time; in reality I suppose it's more akin to Shadow of the Colossus.

8 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Maybe think twice if you liked the look of Aeon Must Die.

Edit: As for the State of Play, I'm in for more Spelunky and probably Hitman VR as well. 

Is Aeon still a supermarket chain in Japan? Might have to rename it Tesco must Suffer or something over there.

• Upvote 1

Godfall doesn’t do anything for me at all, but it did at least look slightly better than the previous showings...from a performance point of view. Design-wise it’s a pretty hideous looking thing.

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Godfall doesn’t do anything for me at all, but it did at least look slightly better than the previous showings...from a performance point of view. Design-wise it’s a pretty hideous looking thing.

The constant slight pause on some but not every hit really annoyed me. Made it look like it was dropping frames and stuttering when it wasn't.

Seemed an odd design choice that broke the fluidity.

It's a weird one - It does look pretty from a technical perspective, but ugly from a design perspective.

That was very very underwhelming. Only PS5 thing that looked remotely interesting was ‘The Mapless’. Even that looked like it would run happily on Switch.

Starting to wonder if I really do need a PS5 anytime close to launch... :mellow:

The next SOP has a fuckload of work to do.

7 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

hitman 3 coming out with all 3 games on psvr?    Fuck yeah. 

I still can’t quite figure out how they’re doing that. I’m still in the mindset that it will be some limited one-off VR misssion. 

The framerate will have to be a minimum of 60 (then upscaled to 120) as per Sony's T&Cs for PSVR games. Apparently Hitman 2 ran at 1440p @ 30~45fps on PS4 Pro so I assume for VR the game will probably render sub 1080p (maybe 720p on base PS4) to get to 60fps. Also Agent 47 won't need to be rendered as it's first-person (probably just floating hands), maybe scale the crowds down a bit also. No reason to think it's not doable to an acceptable standard on PS4 VR. Then for PS5 VR, turn everything back up full whack with supersampling.

Can't wait to try it.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, AI1 said:

The framerate will have to be a minimum of 60 (then upscaled to 120) as per Sony's T&Cs for PSVR games. Apparently Hitman 2 ran at 1440p @ 30~45fps on PS4 Pro so I assume for VR the game will probably render sub 1080p (maybe 720p on base PS4) to get to 60fps. Also Agent 47 won't need to be rendered as it's first-person (probably just floating hands), maybe scale the crowds down a bit also. No reason to think it's not doable to an acceptable standard on PS4 VR. Then for PS5 VR, turn everything back up full whack with supersampling.

Can't wait to try it.

not rendering 47 isn’t going to be a huge rendering saving in a hitman game, and cutting the crowd size basically breaks most modern levels. The Xbox1X would render an uncapped but mostly 60fps at 1440p, I think, (but only a single viewpoint) so it’ll be really interesting to see what they actually manage to pull off.

4 hours ago, footle said:

it didn’t really go down well on PC outside of Star Wars nuts, but was split up into episodes. Suspect squadrons will hit the itch more.

Really? I thought it was generally well reviewed?

They also added 'true' reflections in mirrors for Hitman 2 so maybe things like that will be lower quality or turned off.

How does cutting the crowd sizes break the levels?

16 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Really? I thought it was generally well reviewed?

https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/12/review-vader-immortal-a-star-wars-vr-series/

“if you’re a Star Wars fan”

https://uploadvr.com/star-wars-vader-immortal-review-2/
“not a game”

(admittedly, my impressions were mostly from barely remembered reviews of the first episode, and I wasn’t that impressed by the likes of batman)

20 minutes ago, AI1 said:

How does cutting the crowd sizes break the levels?

a lot of the modern hitman games - and particularly some kills - is blending in, or being part of a recognisable environment.

What’s Morocco without the pending riot?

What’s Miami without the hospitality area next to the racetrack?

Paris without the fashion show?

(Couple of examples omitted because they’re spoilers)

You can clearly make a hitman level with far fewer characters - hitman 2’s Columbia is a good example - but they’re not saying they’re just doing some levels.

Re: Godfall

It really does look like a single player version of the Black Desert MMORPG

black-desert-ps4-release-date-preorder.j

maxresdefault.jpg

It plays like a mixture of Diablo and Souls-lite combat. It's actually pretty decent but too stingy with upgrades etc to keep me interested. I assume Godfall will be more generous as a predominantly single player version of a similar thing. I'm really puzzled by the deep dive, though. It doesn't appear to have one single idea or mechanic we haven't seen before. 

Edit: Durrr...I'm actually thinking of Bless Unleashed which got mixed up with Black Desert in my mind - which shows you how many similar games already exist with the same mechanics... 

5 hours ago, footle said:

a lot of the modern hitman games - and particularly some kills - is blending in, or being part of a recognisable environment.

What’s Morocco without the pending riot?

What’s Miami without the hospitality area next to the racetrack?

Paris without the fashion show?

(Couple of examples omitted because they’re spoilers)

You can clearly make a hitman level with far fewer characters - hitman 2’s Columbia is a good example - but they’re not saying they’re just doing some levels.

It might only require removing 10% of the crowds to get it to run at a stable 60fps which shouldn't be too detrimental to the experience.

Regardless of how they achieve it, I just hope resolution isn't sacrificed too much as I had to stop playing Skyrim VR and Driveclub VR due to how blurry they were.

Fingers crossed!

It's a shame Aeon Must Die has all these shenanigans going on as it looks really cool otherwise. Other stuff I dug: Hitman in VR, Bugsnax, Spelunky 2, Alan Wake DLC for Control, The Pedestrian, The Pathless and Crash 4, which really looks like an excellent platformer.

33 minutes ago, Quest said:

Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to make use of the  important new controller features on a PS4. :P

(This is a joke - let's not start up again)

true! 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

true! 

So that's a good point. How will Sony get around that dilemma? You're playing PS Now in 2021 on your laptop with a connected DS4 which works fine with PS2, 3 and 4 games and you see a couple of PS5 games have been added. You boot one of them up - will there be a message on screen saying 'Please connect a DualSense controller'? That wouldn't be ideal would it?

You can already play PS3 and PS4 games on the service using an Xbox pad which doesn’t have a tilt sensor or touchpad.* And PSnow didn’t get PS4 games until the console had been out for over two years IIRC.**

*So I doubt Sony will limit PS5 games on PSnow to specific controllers

** By which point the generational transition will be pretty far along and people will probably not notice

Regardless if it's 3 people or 3 million people, laptop or PS4, are Sony going to make PS Now subscribers have to buy an extra £50 controller to play a couple of PS5 games on their streaming service? Or will those PS5 games be compatible with DS4 on PS Now but DS5 only on PS5?

36 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Regardless if it's 3 people or 3 million people, laptop or PS4, are Sony going to make PS Now subscribers have to buy an extra £50 controller to play a couple of PS5 games on their streaming service? Or will those PS5 games be compatible with DS4 on PS Now but DS5 only on PS5?

They'll work with DS4/XBox and there'll likely be a warning that certain features won't work I'd imagine.

At that point the people in this thread saying new controllers mean next gen features will use some other excuse as to why it couldn't have just been done at launch.   :)

They're basically Teflon Terry's

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Showcase Wednesday, September 16 at 9pm
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic