PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20. £360 digital, £450 full fat. Launch games £70?!?!

Actually furious now thinking about it, during the course of its lifespan I’ve busted a black, red, blue and 20th anniversary DS4 and now left with a camo and white one. £300 spent on shitty poorly built controllers (the cost of three Windows 10s or access to Gears of War 5 for seven years). 

• Empathy 1
7 hours ago, Stanley said:

I had a thought last night whilst watching this, eventually PS5 games will cone to the PS Now service which, in theory, means PS4 owners could stream PS5 games. 

25 minutes ago, Stanley said:

When is the train leaving padgate?

hmm ;-)

16 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Yeah I've gone through quite a few PS4 pads. The dualsense better be less of a bag of shit

I'm hoping bigger means sturdier.

Outside the malting thumbstick rubber of the initial launch batch, can't say I've run into any issues with any of the DualShock 4's I've used. If I gave them a clean the only real sign they'd even been used would be wear on the sticker at the back.

In general I think controllers are far better built than they used to be, despite being a lot more complicated in construction.

• Upvote 4

Yeah considering I rarely used the analogue sticks I was surprised at how quickly my launch PS4's coating flaked away. My other two pads have been absolutely fine besides the battery life.

I definitely don’t think they’re that badly built, my dead ones have had hundreds of hours of play each and generally wear out in logical ways (my square button died after about 1500 hours of Dark Souls, Destiny and Battlefield).

6 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I winder what features Sony will ditch first for PS5.2?

They’re so worried about this perception that they actually said at the original announcement that they can’t take backwards compatibility out later because of how it works.

They can cut about £50 of plastic off the outside no problem and the optical drive’s clearly about to escape by mitosis.

10 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I winder what features Sony will ditch first for PS5.2?

SSD, HDMI and DualSense.

Replaced with vinyl storage, RF connection and Sixaxis.

I've got 5 DS4's and at least 4 are broken in some way (not sure if one is fine, i was using the best one but that has stick drift now) - mostly stick drift or not getting full pressure from a trigger so they're all sort of usable i guess, so really hope the ps5 pad is made better. great pads when they're working mind.

10 minutes ago, Popo said:

What on Earth are you people doing to your controllers? I haven’t broken a pad in 30 years of gaming. 

Same, plus 5 years on your 30. Never had stick rot either, but I did buy my PS4 a year after launch so maybe they fixed that.

Do people smash their controllers against the wall in fits of rage then blame Sony for poor build quality? :lol:

• Upvote 3
12 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

The battery and build quality of the DS4 is not great and I’m amazed they didn’t follow MS’ lead and release a premium pad with better battery, back triggers etc. 

Even Microsoft seems to have QC gripes with the Elite pad, can you imagine how a Sony version would go over?

I assume the worst thing for controllers is just playing the same games for hundreds of hours, causing wear. I’ve also had dead Xbox 360, PS3, PS2 and Wii controllers, all of which wore out rather than being broken.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Even Microsoft seems to have QC gripes with the Elite pad, can you imagine how a Sony version would go over?

Based on my experience with the Elite pad build quality and associated customer service, I think even Sony would be hard-pressed to do a worse job. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Stavi said:

They were pretty clear beforehand that this State of Play was for the PS4 with a few PS5 "updates". I believe there's going to be another one specifically for the PS5 soon

Towards the end of this month, supposedly. Just hope they have a real humdinger saved for that.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Popo said:

What on Earth are you people doing to your controllers? I haven’t broken a pad in 30 years of gaming. 

1 hour ago, AI1 said:

Do people smash their controllers against the wall in fits of rage then blame Sony for poor build quality? :lol:

i dunno maybe some people treat them badly, but mine are well looked after, and maybe broken is the wrong word to describe their problems, they still look to be in good condition from the outside, it's more like worn out - but they wear out far too quikly after the warranty expires. the trigger problem for example it's possible to not even know you have the problem untill you do a timetrial in driveclub and your car won't accelerate fully, it might never show up in a lot of games. i had a look inside the controller and it's just a bad design causing the problem - that's the sort of thing i hope they can put right with the ps5 controllers.

edit - and i've got loads of old controllers i've never had any problems with - some 360 pads developed stick drift but after a lot of use over a few years, other than that it's only the DS4's i've had problems with, and after a lot less use.

Awwww yeah!

PS5 £199 then!

Can't wait to play on it inside my Mad Max truck after the Brexapocalypse where food, water, fuel and medicine are more valuable than gold and there's no gas or electricity to power anything.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Popo said:

Neither had I until this generation. I really look after stuff, don't have any kids/pets in the mix or anything and I've had to chuck three Dualshock 4s due to stick drift/unresponsiveness, one Xbox One controller for the bumpers going dodgy and my Joy-Cons have been fucked pretty much since day one. Really hoping next gen isn't quite as shit on that front.

30 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Hahaha, there's no way we're getting better trade deals.

for one reason, the EU with have most favoured nation clauses all over the place.

11 hours ago, Broker said:

The whole world is set up to allow us to just keep using the same old shit forever

Do you live in a different society where late-stage capitalism and planned obsolescence aren't a thing?

• Upvote 8
6 hours ago, AI1 said:

that’s how I broke my first ps1 DualShock... :facepalm:

6 hours ago, Popo said:

No issues with any of my three DS4s, but I went through several DS3s - the analogue sticks would gradually grind down the plastic around their housing, leaving a fine dust residue on the sticks themselves, which I think was getting into the internal workings and leading to certain directions having a poor response. I also had a shoulder button that wouldn’t respond half the time, probably for the same reason.

90% of the damage was done by playing After Burner Climax. I actually had to replace a controller for it specifically during my high score attempt. (I put a single layer of vinyl tape around the stick to protect it, but that meant I couldn’t get the full range of motion I needed so took it off again).

20 hours ago, Broker said:

The only reason “excuses” have to be made is because of the insane level of passion a small group of people seem to have about arguing that this is bad.

I don’t think anyone from this insanely passionate group of people has even mentioned the controller thing for a number of days now.

The only people still bringing it up (sarcastically) are the people who seem to bringing it up again and dragging it into other parts of the forum, having previously asking people to stop whining about it.

• Upvote 2
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Showcase Wednesday, September 16 at 9pm
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic