PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

Thought we'd see some bigger game announcements, even for some stuff a wee bit further out. Village is the first Resident Evil I've been interested in since RE4 so I might give that a go.

How many console generations are gonna pass with no Ridge Racer? Also I want a fighting game.

Just now, Thor said:

The one where we all buy a PC instead, or in my case already have one.

I want the PS5 for the obvious quality of the Sony exclusives, and the 4k UHD drive so long as it outputs Dolby Vision. But I don't need that asap. I certainly don't need a PS5 or an Xbox at launch. They both have absolutely fucking nothing. 

Makes me wonder why either are even bothering with a 2020 launch. 

They committed to manufacturing these consoles more than 12 months ago and they will still sell like hotcakes at launch I would wager.

Hmmm... I usually buy the new shinies day one but I don't see anything apart from Spider Morales and maybe Ratchet & Clank. Any cross platform I'll be going Series X.

I haven't played Ghost of Tsummat, will that get enhanced on the 5? If so I guess there's that.

Just now, joffocakes said:

Thought we'd see some bigger game announcements, even for some stuff a wee bit further out. Village is the first Resident Evil I've been interested in since RE4 so I might give that a go.

How many console generations are gonna pass with no Ridge Racer? Also I want a fighting game.

Ridge Racer is as dead as F-Zero.

*sobbing*

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

They've been really clear about this for over six months. Almost all of the PS4 games ever released will play on it.

Have they? I've genuinely missed that if so, as everything I've seen (and I include the showcase just now) has been really unclear on it. It's been caveat city.

Just now, Liamness said:

I think the smart thing to do would be to undercut physical games. They don't need to pass all the savings from distribution etc to the customer, just some of it. They'll still be in the black at the end of the day. If they don't make the value proposition obvious then a lot of people will stick with physical - it's what they're used to and they'll still be able to play their old games.

Then once everyone's got used to digital purchases, next gen they can just do away with physical releases entirely and properly bleed the customers dry.

They won't though because tieing people into digital only purchases is a cash cow. It like being held hostage. You have to pay what they want you to pay. It's not like on PC where there are multiple digital stores and competition leads to lower prices.

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Only the fact that at no stage did they say "Included in the price of Ps Plus". You'd think if it was they'd have made it very clear as it's a differenciator.

I agree it's likely they are just stupid and it is included.

They did though. It was "a new benefit for PS Plus subscribers on PS5" or words very similar to that. If you get a PS5 and PS Plus you'll get a selection of PS4 games in a digital catalogue to download and play included in that price.

I took PS+ Collection as being free and included with my PS+ sub too.

Torn on disc Vs digital. While near complete BC has been confirmed, what hasn't been is whether or not I can download all of those games from my library. Would be nice to know.

On disc I have a handful of games - notably RDR2 - I'd like to play through so that factors in to my decision. Or would it be easier to sell them and then repurchase digitally?

Still, exciting times. Spiderman and Demons Souls alone are two more exclusive games I want to play than MS have for me, and one of those is even a generation exclusive. 

Nah. Just nah. Not buying one until there's something really mind blowing to play on it. At the moment the software is virtually indistinguishable on a 1080p feed from current stuff and I'm just not interested in 4k until I have a TV that can do it (probably won't get one until 2030 at this rate).

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Only the fact that at no stage did they say "Included in the price of Ps Plus". You'd think if it was they'd have made it very clear as it's a differenciator.

I agree it's likely they are just stupid and it is included.

I'm pretty sure that they did.

Demon's far and away shits on anything else we've seen for PS5 and/or Xbox. I'm never buying a physical game again for the rest of my life so that's the decision made. A good couple of hundred quid less than I was expecting to pay out. I'll get a Series X when Flight Sim appears. 

The game line up is just so weak. No fighter? No racer? Having to trot out Devil May Cry and Fortnite in your big reveal event screams year 1 drought. And £69 for Spiderman? No wonder they want you to buy a digital only console. 

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Have they? I've genuinely missed that if so, as everything I've seen (and I include the showcase just now) has been really unclear on it. It's been caveat city.

They said this in March:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
  • Pob unpinned this topic