PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

1 minute ago, dumpster said:

Agreed and I'm sure it looks amazing for you. But if it takes the purchase of an OLED TV to see the real benefits, will this generation suit the mass market?  Maybe we will all have 4K TVs in a year or two but right now I'm not going to pay £450 for something that needs the purchase of a new TV to see any benefit.

Some people are buying a Ps5 to play one or two games so...

7 minutes ago, rgraves said:

When a pallform holder has to resort to language like "we believe" and "majority", it means it's not a slam dunk. Otherwise they'd say "the overwhelming majority *will*".

As I said, every time they mention it they include a bunch of caveats. They just don't sound confident for some reason. I mean, why not pull a MS in that showcase right now and say you'll have access to 1000's of PS4 titles on launch?

I'm sure loads of games will work - like Sony I *believe* that - but they've been far from bloody crystal clear on it.

Backwards compatibility is so fundamental to the design of the hardware that it lead to the console's components being leaked far before it was even acknowledged to exist - people noticed that AMD was testing a high-end new graphics component that could also run in two low-speed modes that exactly matched the PS4 and PS4 Pro. It's entirely the same approach Microsoft have taken with the hardware design: a machine that literally runs as a last-generation console. There's room for degrees of competence here but I don't think anyone with any credibility believes even in their wildest nightmares that the console's PS4 compatibility is limited to eight titles.

Contriving perverse and far-fetched disaster scenarios is a fine hobby but don't take it too seriously.

2 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Agreed and I'm sure it looks amazing for you. But if it takes the purchase of an OLED TV to see the real benefits, will this generation suit the mass market?  Maybe we will all have 4K TVs in a year or two but right now I'm not going to pay £450 for something that needs the purchase of a new TV to see any benefit.

2005 called, it wants it’s new console tv argument back.

16 minutes ago, Radish said:

If true Sony should probably have mentioned that.

I genuinely thought I wasn't bothering this year after the presentation. - little details like that can make a difference.

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I don’t have an OLED but it looks excellent on my 4K TV too. Come on, this tech has been around for a while now it’s not like lots of people don’t already have it. 

Just now, the_debaser said:

Who wants to make the official Oddworld thread then? Don't all rush at once. 

Tell me about it.

So there are about half a dozen games? Spiderman, FF16, dmc5, five nights, fortnite(?), demons souls remake, COD Cold War, resident evil village and a Harry Potter game.

I mean that is a tragic lineup in this day.

When the PS2 launched with like 5 games things were different. 

9 minutes ago, dumpster said:

..ok, but If there's only one store they have you over a barrel. PC has Steam, Epic etc and it leads to competition. Consoles don't have that.   Gamepass is brilliant and it's had me playing Xbox way more than PS4, but it feels suspiciously good... Like, it has Hotshot Racing on launch day  , Streets of Rage 4 on Launch day...  Surely they're building the brand and converting minds.  Once they have enough customers it won't need to be as good, especially when you have loads of customers who have no choice because their consoles don't take disks.

That's one scenario, but just because it's plausible doesn't mean it is what will happen. The iPhone has had a single locked-in digital store since day one and the dominant business model has been to drive prices down so far as to effectively destroyed the ability of anyone to actually sell an app. I think the fact that even digital exclusives on the PS4 and Xbox have a price half-life of about six months speaks against the mustache-twirling Monopoly guy scenario.

Horizon 2 is getting a PS4 version as well according to the Japanese PS Blog.

Furthermore, in order to continue to support the huge community of PlayStation®4 (PS4®) during the transition period of generations, we are working on the PS4 version of some SIE WWS titles in parallel. "Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales", "Libitz! "Big Adventure" and "Horizon Forbidden West" are made by taking advantage of the performance of PS5's ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense wireless controller, but we are preparing to enjoy it on PS4, and the PS5 version will be released. At the same time, PS4 version will be released. If you purchase the PS4 version of these titles, you can upgrade to the PS5 version (with a disk drive) for free (* 3).

2 minutes ago, dumpster said:

..ok, but If there's only one store they have you over a barrel. PC has Steam, Epic etc and it leads to competition. Consoles don't have that.   Gamepass is brilliant and it's had me playing Xbox way more than PS4, but it feels suspiciously good... Like, it has Hotshot Racing on launch day  , Streets of Rage 4 on Launch day...  Surely they're building the brand and converting minds.  Once they have enough customers it won't need to be as good, especially when you have loads of customers who have no choice because their consoles don't take disks.

Steam is a bad example because you can buy the games from anywhere the publisher supplies them to. There will always be competition there, even if all other PC platforms closed. 

I think you’re also probably under-estimating how many sales Gamepass drives. For third party titles it’s basically a long demo and there’s value in that, they’re getting the game in front of people and getting reactions out there. Things like the Streets of Rage 4 thread filling with positive reactions from gamepass players will have absolutely sold more Switch copies. 

1 minute ago, sir stiff_one said:

Tell me about it.

So there are about half a dozen games? Spiderman, FF16, dmc5, five nights, fortnite(?), demons souls remake, COD Cold War, resident evil village and a Harry Potter game.

I mean that is a tragic lineup in this day.

When the PS2 launched with like 5 games things were different. 

Erm,  list of that list isn’t even launch window is it?

3 minutes ago, footle said:

“I’m watching the Xbox 360 Showcase on my 19inch crt and can’t see what all the fuss is about, maybe in a couple of years people will have 42inch plasma HD TVs but I’m not buying a console I need a new tv for.”

for some reason it’s all in my grandma’s voice.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

That's one scenario, but just because it's plausible doesn't mean it is what will happen. The iPhone has had a single locked-in digital store since day one and the dominant business model has been to drive prices down so far as to effectively destroyed the ability of anyone to actually sell an app. I think the fact that even digital exclusives on the PS4 and Xbox have a price half-life of about six months speaks against the mustache-twirling Monopoly guy scenario.

'Half life' prices don't matter*. It's day one digital prices that matter and they're currently an absolute rip off.

*Unless you're referring to HL3.

8 minutes ago, footle said:

I disagree.  In 2005 you replaced your bulky 30" CRT with a thin, massive screen.  Today you're being asked to change your HD 55" flat screen with a great quality picture for an identical screen with HDR and 4K.  It's not the "must have" for many people, which it certainly was in 2005. Maybe if TV broadcast in 4K it would be a more obvious upgrade. 

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

Backwards compatibility is so fundamental to the design of the hardware that it lead to the console's components being leaked far before it was even acknowledge to exist - people noticed that AMD was testing a high-end new graphics component that could also run in two low-speed modes that exactly matched the PS4 and PS4 Pro. It's entirely the same approach Microsoft have taken with the hardware design: a machine that literally runs as a last-generation console. There's room for degrees of competence here but I don't think anyone with any credibility believes even in their wildest nightmares that the console's PS4 compatibility is limited to eight titles.

Contriving perverse and far-fetched disaster scenarios is a fine hobby but don't take it too seriously.

Did you read my last line:

I'm sure loads of games will work - like Sony I *believe* that - but they've been far from bloody crystal clear on it.

Of course I don't think it's going to be limited to eight titles, never said that - that's nonsense. I'm just pointing out that MS are being really bullish on it, and for some reason Sony (who are not shying away from trying to match them up almost everywhere else) are being coy. It's just an interesting little side story for me - I can't get why they are not making a bigger deal of it when they are clearly a little light on content at launch. It's a hanging single thread and I'm interested to pull on it a bit to see what unravels - might be nothing, might be something.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/playstation-5-launches-in-november-starting-at-399-for-ps5-digital-edition-and-499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/

This is truly an exciting time for all of us at PlayStation. Over the past few months, we’ve been able to show you a glimpse of the stunning new games being created for PlayStation 5, taking advantage of the console’s unique capabilities to deliver lightning-fast loading, heightened immersion, and a whole new generation of experiences. And we’re excited that the time for you to experience these brave new adventures is almost here.

As we have just announced in our PS5 Showcase, we’re only a couple of months away from launching the next generation of play. Starting on November 12, PS5 will be available in seven key markets: the U.S., Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea. The global rollout will continue on November 19 with launches throughout the rest of the world*, including Europe, Middle East, South America, Asia and South Africa. PS5 Digital Edition will be available for a recommended retail price (RRP) of $399.99/¥39,980/€399.99 (MSRP), and PS5 with an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive will be available for an RRP of $499.99/¥49,980/€499.99 (MSRP). Pre-orders will be available starting as early as tomorrow at select retailers, so please check with your local retailer.

We’re pleased to provide choice to gamers with two PS5 console options at launch, depending on if you want a digital-only experience or prefer disc-based gaming. Whichever PS5 you choose, you’ll enjoy the same breathtaking, next-gen gaming experiences. Both PS5 models use the same custom processor with integrated CPU and GPU for high-fidelity visuals, including 4K graphics and ray-tracing support, as well as the same ultra-high-speed SSD with integrated I/O for lightning-fast loading. PS5’s 3D audio and the DualSense Wireless Controller will also provide the same heightened sense of immersion on all PS5s. 

We are proud of the breadth of games being created for PS5, and it’s our goal to continue filling our portfolio with new, rich experiences from the most talented game creators in the industry. Today we shared a sneak peek at the following new games coming to PS5:

Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Capcom)

Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix)  

Five Nights at Freddy’s Security Breach (Steel Wool Studios and ScottGames)

Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros. Games)

New God of War title (Santa Monica Studio)

These newly revealed titles, along with the games we’ve shown previously, represent the best lineup we’ve ever seen in PlayStation history. Games like Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War, and Demon’s Souls will launch alongside the console. Our own Worldwide Studios titles will be priced from US$49.99 to US$69.99 (RRP) on PS5. 

Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

For PlayStation Plus members, we’ll have a special new offering on PS5 – the PlayStation Plus Collection**. PS5 owners with PS Plus will be able to download and play a curated library of PS4 games that defined the generation, like Batman Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, God of War, Monster Hunter: World, Persona 5 and many more. The PS Plus Collection will be an added benefit to the existing PS4 benefits that PS Plus members receive for a single subscription price. 

Also launching this November is a slate of new accessories:

DualSense™ Wireless Controller (standalone) – US$69.99/¥6,980/€69.99 (RRP)

PULSE 3D™ wireless headset – with 3D audio support and dual noise-cancelling microphones US$99.99/¥9,980/€99.99 (RRP)

HD Camera – with dual 1080p lenses for gamers to broadcast themselves along with their epic gameplay moments US$59.99/¥5,980/€59.99 (RRP)

Media Remote – to navigate movies and streaming services with ease US$29.99/¥2,980/€29.99 (RRP)

DualSense™ Charging Station – to conveniently charge two DualSense Wireless Controllers US$29.99/¥2,980/€29.99 (RRP)

This year has been unlike any other, and there have been many challenges the world has faced. Everyone at PlayStation, along with all of our partners in development, publishing, technology, and retail, have devoted a lot of effort to launch PlayStation 5 in time for the holiday season. We’re all working closely together to achieve our mission of delivering the best that gaming has to offer to our community. I truly want to thank you, the fans, for your tremendous support (and patience!), while we take this journey to PS5. We can’t wait for November to arrive – when you’ll be able to get a PS5 console in your hands to begin exploring new adventures and creating new epic memories for many years to come.

*Availability in each country subject to local import regulations. PS5 launch date for China is still under exploration and will be announced at a later date.

**Availability of PlayStation Plus Collection titles may vary by country. The Plus Collection is not available in China.

PlayStation 5 Launch Day Games from SIE Worldwide Studios

Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5

Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)

Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Mile Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)

Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)

Just now, dumpster said:

I disagree.  In 2005 you replaced your bulky 30" CRT with a thin, massive screen.  Today you're being asked to change your HD 55" flat screen with a great quality picture for an identical screen with HDR and 4K.  It's not the "must have" for many people, which it certainly was in 2005.

I think the difference is the 4K and HDR, off the top of my head. 

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
  • Pob unpinned this topic