PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released

15 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I've sort of lost track of the argument you're trying to make, but Ofcom had 35% of households owning a 4K TV towards the end of 2019. That was up from only 17% in 2017, so it's not like it's not growing.

Now obviously that's most likely going to be the main TV in the living room in most cases, but I'd assume the market for the Series X and PS5 isn't immediately the kid's bedroom. 4K as a resolution might not offer the same clear improvement that HD and flatscreens did, I'd probably agree. But I think the new better screens are proliferating perhaps faster than you realise. 

That's good information and I am wrong, there are more 4K TVs than o realised.  But even so that still means that 65% of people are in the same boat as me, and probably don't see the difference between a PS4 and PS5.  Also I assume that 35% market penetration includes all 4K TVs including the non HDR ones and crappy ones that were £250 in Asda. And are these consoles going to be used in the main TV room?  As I say, I'm sure in time we will all have OLEDs but it seems concerning how similar the next gen consoles look to the current ones for at least 65% of the marketplace.  

Just now, JohnC said:

Have MS said how much their games are, for comparison?

I think all of Microsoft's in-house games are "smart delivery" so there's just one version - they'll be current gen prices.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, dumpster said:

But even so that still means that 65% of people are in the same boat as me, and probably don't see the difference between a PS4 and PS4. 

I’d imagine that would be 100% ;)

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think all of Microsoft's in-house games are "smart delivery" so there's just one version - they'll be current gen prices.

Also just over fifty quid for 3rd party games if Amazon are anything to go by.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Valhalla-Limited-Exclusive-Amazon-co-uk/dp/B087QTHDFB/ref=sr_1_2?crid=31QOSP2O1AGLS&keywords=assassins+creed+valhalla&qid=1600295058&sprefix=assa

Edit:  Also same price listed for PS5 and PS4 for that matter.

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Bit weird that they’ve been banging the drum about just wait to see the experiences on PS5 only possible with our super duper SSD and stuff like Horizon being on PS4 as well it’ll probably amount to faster loading rather than any clever gameplay enhancements.

Yeah I'm really surprised to learn that HZD 2 particularly is going to be on PS4. Feels like it's going to be years until we get games that genuinely wouldn't have been possible on current gen consoles.

Just now, Liamness said:

Yeah I'm really surprised to learn that HZD 2 particularly is going to be on PS4. Feels like it's going to be years until we get games that genuinely wouldn't have been possible on current gen consoles.

That said, it's going to be wild seeing anything that looks remotely like that trailer running on base PS4 hardware. Like, MGSV on Xbox 360 wild.

4 minutes ago, dumpster said:

That's good information and I am wrong, there are more 4K TVs than o realised.  But even so that still means that 65% of people are in the same boat as me, and probably don't see the difference between a PS4 and PS4.  Also I assume that 35% market penetration includes all 4K TVs including the non HDR ones and crappy ones that were £250 in Asda.  As I say, I'm sure in time we will all have OLEDs but it seems concerning how similar the next gen consoles look to the current ones for at least 65% of the marketplace.  

When the 360 came out I had an SD TV,  then a 720p TV and a 1080p TV by the end of the generation. By your own account, this shift is less seismic.

If you're buying a new TV in the next few years, it'll be 4k. Adding in that it has to be a top of the line OLED is just goalpost shifting. Buy a new TV, to suit your needs and budget, as and when you need to. Doesn't mean you won't enjoy the new consoles. 

I really want to know how loud this machine is going to be when playing games, surely it's the size it is to cool it down and thus quieten it? Because if it sounds anything like PS4 Pro playing God of War they can stick it! 

DMC5 SE will feature a 4K30 quality mode, a 1080p60 performance mode, and a 120fps performance mode which disables ray-tracing.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/devil-may-cry-5-special-edition-slices-its-way-onto-playstation-5/

It also has a Turbo mode at 1.2x play speed. Oh! and apparently Street Fighter 2 Turbo's "Turbo" mode came out of the PAL optimisations they did, which sped up the game on NTSC. Don't know if that bit of trivia was out there.

21 minutes ago, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

Got a pre order in at GAME. :)

Yep, full fat and headphones, payment taken and done.  Have a Shopto order so I'll see what happens supply-wise, but I suspect I've got one at GAME unless they get no consoles as their in-shop pre orders don't start until 8am tomorrow.

I'll see who's offering the best price on games before laying down for DS.

Controllers are £50 there. That is way less than Joycons and will expect them to go lower. Each console launch has always seen an uptick in prices as they think they can try it on, the market will soon settle down.  And as someone still traumatised from buying £80 Streetfighter 2 and £60 rrp SNES carts, the last few years I’m actually making money

• Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, Liamness said:

9.3L in volume. Series X is 6.86L, and S less than half that. My PC is about 7L. Of course the PS5 is less boxy that these, uh, boxes I'm comparing it to. But that won't help you fit it under the telly.

My PC is 81.5l. These things are relative.

19 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Pre-orders are up on Smyth's Toys.

Digital version is only down for delivery whereas the full monster is available to click and collect.

Because they don't have a truck big enough to deliver it to you! 

70 quids an utter fucking joke, greedy bastards. 

• Upvote 1
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - Teardown Video Released
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released
  • Pob unpinned this topic