rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5 - Mark Cerny reveals even more details in second WIRED exclusive

8 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

I don't think Sony will follow suit. I think they are going to stay withthe traditional approach

Having said all this, Sony did do a bunch of Cross Buy stuff earlier in the generation when it was relevant. PS4, PS3, Vita all had titles you could buy the once. So maybe they'll do it to an extent.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Having said all this, Sony did do a bunch of Cross Buy stuff earlier in the generation when it was relevant. PS4, PS3, Vita all had titles you could buy the once. So maybe they'll do it to an extent.

Yeah maybe you’re right . It all guessing games right now obvs . But MS clearly have the jump on customer experience if not the software

• Empathy 1

I wonder how Rockstar are going to deal with GTA Online, they made a ton of money from selling the main game twice. I wouldnt mind paying a nominal fee for an upgrade but Im more worried about putting more time into the online account if theyre going to reset your progress with another remaster.

15 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

I wonder how Rockstar are going to deal with GTA Online, they made a ton of money from selling the main game twice. I wouldnt mind paying a nominal fee for an upgrade but Im more worried about putting more time into the online account if theyre going to reset your progress with another remaster.

they won’t re-master it, it’s backwards compatible

Yeah but I think if theyre going to put any amount of work into upgraded textures or whatnot, going by what they (or Take Two) has said about this previously, they are going to expect to be «rewarded for their efforts». Thats from when they launched GTA V on this gen as far as I remember, I dont have the quote at hand.

Im not surprised if Take Two is one of the companies that end up charging for this on next gen even though Microsoft would urge them not to.

3 hours ago, Orbital2060 said:

Yeah but I think if theyre going to put any amount of work into upgraded textures or whatno

They won't need to, those assets already exist in the PC version 

13 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

I disagree. Gamers aren't going to be happy sitting on the same platform forever. At some point series X will have to take over. They can't realistically stretch games across from One S to Series X forever. Exclusive games for series X are an inevitablility. There will be some third party exclusives available on day one. And eventually MS themselves will produce games exclusive to Series X. At that point, Smart Delivery becomes more or less redundant.

Just a guess, but I think it's very likely that at the point that new games don't run natively on/aren't ported to the old-gen One anymore, you'll still be able to play all your purchases through Xcloud on any supported older platform. So Smart Delivery will remain relevant longer than you'd think. Just a guess, mind - but going by what they've done so far.

• Upvote 4

Saw that pop up in a TheSun headline which implied that PS5 games will make the game easier if the player is stressed out etc :lol: sounds like a bad Molydeux tweet or something.

• Upvote 2

Companies patent loads of things all the time. People need to stop assuming that every patent filed by MS or Sony is going to end up in their hands.

Also Nintendo had that clip on your finger heart rate monitor they showed for the Wii (iirc) a while back. 

There's vague potential for some fun uses of it but I doubt it will really be a thing. 

4 hours ago, b00dles said:

Also Nintendo had that clip on your finger heart rate monitor they showed for the Wii (iirc) a while back. 

There's vague potential for some fun uses of it but I doubt it will really be a thing. 

and somehow measuring blood flow to determine excitement was one of the ridiculous pretend use cases for Kinect 2.0

5 hours ago, b00dles said:

Only use I can think of would have been for Psycho Mantis on the PS1. When he makes the controller move. That would have been cool if he sensed your heart rate at that point.

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Only use I can think of would have been for Psycho Mantis on the PS1. When he makes the controller move. That would have been cool if he sensed your heart rate at that point.

There was talk of using it for eternal darkness type shenanigans or lowering/ increasing scares in games and also, at the time, for Wii fit things. 

In a world where the gyro sensor doesn't even get added as a standard option for third/first person aiming it's hard to imagine a heart sensor being employed for anything other than niche titles developed around it specifically or the occasional novelty implementation.

On that note I hope the gyro is something that becomes more standard for that very purpose. Having it for making light adjustments on top of the stick control makes a huge difference to the quality of my aim. (Though it's still not as precise as a mouse but definitely better than the right stick on it's own)

12tf series X is incredible and might sway me. Where’s the smart money for ps5, 9tf or 13.2tf? 

Hope sony go as powerful as possible considering their investment in VR.

10 minutes ago, Meat said:

12tf series X is incredible and might sway me. Where’s the smart money for ps5, 9tf or 13.2tf? 

VR 2.0. Perhaps that gives us an indication as to the target audience the PS5 is aiming for.  These new consoles are not going to be cheap or easy to mass produce in huge numbers I'd bet.

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

VR 2.0. Perhaps that gives us an indication as to the target audience the PS5 is aiming for.   

Yes.  The VR crowd.  That's where Sony should head.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Yes.  The VR crowd.  That's where Sony should head.

Well. Given the specs of the new consoles, I'd say that mass producing in large quantities will be limited because of the actual cost of manufacturing. Hence two variants.

59 minutes ago, Meat said:

The 13.2 figure doesn’t seem to be backed up by very much, and is an extremely odd number anyway.

To me, the reason Microsoft have revealed most of their specs this early is because they're confident they have the edge power-wise. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

To me, the reason Microsoft have revealed most of their specs this early is because they're confident they have the edge power-wise. 

It's all about the games. 

Just now, Ghosty said:

It's all about the games. 

Agreed, but we weren't talking about that. 

40 minutes ago, footle said:

The 13.2 figure doesn’t seem to be backed up by very much, and is an extremely odd number anyway.

What? It’s written in gooner’s pad.

• Upvote 8

40 minutes ago, footle said:

It's something goonerforlife wrote down on a notepad as a hunch last I read.  :)

The PS5 won't even have Teraflops. They're old hat and a last-gen feature. My great, great grandson works for Atari so I have insider info.

So I will officially reveal to you all now the power of the PS5 in a Rllmuk world first exclusive:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Petaflops

Spoiler

baby! 

Spoiler

:sherlock: 

It has now been written down. It is therefore now fact. That is all.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, AI1 said:

The PS5 won't even have Teraflops. They're old hat and a last-gen feature. My great, great grandson works for Atari so I have insider info.

So I will officially reveal to you all now the power of the PS5 in a Rllmuk world first exclusive:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Petaflops

Reveal hidden contents

baby! 

Reveal hidden contents

:sherlock: 

It has now been written down. It is therefore now fact. That is all.

What exactly do you ask a super computer anyway?