IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

17 minutes ago, Broker said:

Again, it’s this exact attitude that concern trolls take advantage of. How many times does he have to post racist things before you admit that he’s a racist?

I posted one comment that was taken the wrong way to what I actually meant and I apologised for any offence it caused but you assume from that that I'm a racist!

What are people going to do if it's delayed? Not buy it and buy an Xbox instead? Fucking doubt it. They'll gnash their teeth, scream, some will send death threats because they're spoiled little shitbags and they'll buy it when it comes out. 

Also what Pavey said.

I don't for a minute think they'll miss this year - I suspect they may be later than they wanted (maybe December rather than November), but they'll launch this year - the risk to allow MS a full holiday head start is just too great IMO. At a guess, this is all about software - and trying to work out exactly what they can have ready for Day 1 right now.

I suspect the old 'launch window' is going to get rolled out a lot in the coming weeks.....

I just thought that they'd delayed launch because showing off a lot of shooty, massive explosiony games right now with everybody in game inevitably decked out in riot gear and/or Call of Duty special forces get ups wouldn't go down well while America was rioting with police decked out as video game characters in video game riot gear 

13 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

What are people going to do if it's delayed? Not buy it and buy an Xbox instead? Fucking doubt it.

Really? Come xmas I think a lot of people will want a next-gen box - and if only one is on the shelves, that's the one they will go for. Especially parents who need to have something under the tree.

23 minutes ago, Pavey said:

Is Christmas different this year though in that potentially people wont have as much cash to shell out, due to lack of work, reduced wages etc? Launching the most expensive console to date (i think) might be a bit foolish.

How will waiting 3 months help on that front though?  People skint at xmas will likely be skint in 2021 I would imagine,

3 minutes ago, Stolly said:

I just thought that they'd delayed launch because showing off a lot of shooty, massive explosiony games right now with everybody in game inevitably decked out in riot gear and/or Call of Duty special forces get ups wouldn't go down well while America was rioting with police decked out as video game characters in video game riot gear 

That was just the reveal that was supposed to happen tomorrow.  

39 minutes ago, Broker said:

Again, it’s this exact attitude that concern trolls take advantage of. How many times does he have to post racist things before you admit that he’s a racist?

Twice is usually a good number to show that the first time wasn't an accident.

6 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Really? Come xmas I think a lot of people will want a next-gen box - and if only one is on the shelves, that's the one they will go for. Especially parents who need to have something under the tree.

Yeah, I think so. I don't think the Xbox being first will be a massive deciding factor rather than whichever the mainstream press deems is "most powerful". Plus the PS4 has stronger potential exclusive line up. The FIFA and CoD players will go where their friends go, which the releas might factor into but it's also possible the extra time will be used by people to justify the cost more, give them more time to save up like. And never underestimate the power of console tribe mentality.

SPECULATION! * Jazz hands *

Makes sense - for sure the winner is not going to be decided in the first few months.

This bit just before release is almost the *most* fun. Everything (and every glorious franchise revival) is still tantalizingly possible, it's still possible to believe in almost anything. That 'one more thing' can be your own personal wet dream.

38 minutes ago, Pavey said:

Is Christmas different this year though in that potentially people wont have as much cash to shell out, due to lack of work, reduced wages etc? Launching the most expensive console to date (i think) might be a bit foolish.

The flip side of that is what happens to whatever deals Sony have made for co-marketing, exclusive games or timed exclusives on DLC? If they have told their publishing partners that the console will ship this Christmas what happens if it doesn't? Do they pay Activision more money to hold back the release of any Call of Duty DLC on the Series X? 

It would HUGE to delay and would be an open goal to MS that will get their more powerful console out first. And that's not too mention letting down a number of third parties that will have been prepping their games for Q4 release.

Then if Sony announced the double whammy of the delay - and the fact you may need to re-buy all your PS4 games to work (with MS actively pushing backward compatibility) - that will give Sony ALOT of negative coverage - and the potential to be on the backfoot for the entire generation.

So much of doing well in a console gen seems to be about showing gamers you are listening to them.

I think letting MS go first and even giving them 3 months will be a big mistake.  People who buy a console on launch give it momentum amongst friends in terms of what console THEY buy. and that just keeps on going building up momentum, meaning more games sold, more headlines around sales figures and good PR.   I think Sony are going to come out on top with PS5 on sales due to the great job they did with PS4.  Giving MS time to build up momentum will put that "win" at major risk.     Maybe not a bad thing if it makes them both fight harder for our money I guess!

I think both Sony and Microsoft will have a handful of consoles ready to go for November this year. The bigger problem will be whether any games will be finished in time for it. I can see many delays into next year.

I defer to the art of war on these matters:

never interrupt an enemy when they’re making a mistake.

every advantage Sony have had, at every console launch, has been a result of waiting and watching:

$399 Saturn vs “$299” PlayStation 

DC vs PS2 “wait and see“ marketing & dvd playback vs Xbox dongle

PS3 BD playback and BC (at launch) vs X360‘a lack of both, though the high price was a mis-step, obv.

and the bones lead-in to launch was a well-documented clusterfuck that Sony avoided, took advantage of, and indeed made fun of.

When MS announce their price, Sony will just undercut it. When MS say how powerful their console is, Sony will reply “is it though” with near indistinguishable screenshots.

This isn’t anyone’s first rodeo. Be fun for us as consumers to see how it plays out though.

Launching later, cheaper, could force MS into a price war, they have deeeeep pockets, but it’ll piss off anyone who bought early at full price.

two games and a controller may not cut it this time around 

49 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Launching later, cheaper, could force MS into a price war, they have deeeeep pockets, but it’ll piss off anyone who bought early at full price.

two games and a controller may not cut it this time around 

A new Halo game announcement will help in that regard. Sony has a bigger list of games to draw from to sell consoles.

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

When MS announce their price, Sony will just undercut it. When MS say how powerful their console is, Sony will reply “is it though” with near indistinguishable screenshots.

Will they though? Yes, PlayStation is a massive financial success for Sony, but Microsoft have more (much, much more) financial clout (its actually frightening!). I don’t think it’ll be that cut and dried, but we’ll see.

I do agree that the first year or two may have indistinguishable titles, but once bespoke Series X titles hit the ground, again, it’ll be very interesting.

Like many, I think the Xbox will be more powerful (possibly, a lot more), but the PS5 will have the better exclusives. Not rocket science, I know, but win/win for those of us planning to get both systems!

I don't really care about who gets a head start or 'wins' as it has no impact on my life. They'll both make games and when they make good ones, I'll buy them. I've got a ton of stuff I still haven't played, so I'm easy if they both come out next year.

20 minutes ago, Steven said:

I don't really care about who gets a head start or 'wins' as it has no impact on my life. They'll both make games and when they make good ones, I'll buy them. I've got a ton of stuff I still haven't played, so I'm easy if they both come out next year.

Yep, this is it, in a nutshell!

I am looking at both the PS5 and Xbox One X and thinking that it’s too early. Normally at this point I would be hyped beyond belief but aside from the excitement of unboxing and experiencing new hardware I just can’t feel any hype, and this is speaking as somebody who bought a Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS4 on the day of release because I just couldn’t wait.

I don’t know if it is the state of the world changing my judgement, the mid-generation refreshes or the fact that the current machines still wow me, but new consoles just don’t feel necessary yet. Am I alone in feeling this?

14 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I am looking at both the PS5 and Xbox One X and thinking that it’s too early. Normally at this point I would be hyped beyond belief but aside from the excitement of unboxing and experiencing new hardware I just can’t feel any hype, and this is speaking as somebody who bought a Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS4 on the day of release because I just couldn’t wait.

I don’t know if it is the state of the world changing my judgement, the mid-generation refreshes or the fact that the current machines still wow me, but new consoles just don’t feel necessary yet. Am I alone in feeling this?

What did you think of the Unreal Engine 5 tech demo?

32 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I think before a console felt too long in the tooth by the time a replacement was wanted. You could see the frame rates creaking or the pop in get worse or games just trying to up the fidelity but having to cut back on other areas. But this current generation especially you don’t notice that. The next Forza game looks great and is at 60fps or the new spiderman has a huge world with practically zero pop in. When you saw the next generation games they looked like a huge leap up, even in tiny magazine screen shots. But the next series of games which yes we haven’t really seen but also kinda have (ray traced battlefield on pc etc) won’t be a huge step visually when looking at photos or videos on a phone screen. 

It doesn’t help that there really isn’t any new tech or ideas to get excited about (yet) stuff like street pass, using a camera with AR on cards to bring them to life, being able to record game content and share it. All stuff that rarely is as good as the idea sounds but is exciting.

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive