IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

2 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I don’t think that scaling is quite right . If it is the ps5 controller is going to make the OG Xbox controller look like a joycon . 

The buttons and sticks aren't that far out.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I dunno why people ever expected new VR at launch, last gen showed it's absolutely something that needs a big established userbase to survive. I mean it did OK-ish with 100 million consoles out there to sell to, there's no way they would launch it when it's starting from 1, and neither would they want the sticker shock of some $1000 bundle at launch.

It'll be the standard mid-gen add-on, they'll start talking about it at the end of 2022, launch in 2023 and it'll get the usual 1.5 waves of software before going away again.

if not new VR I expect BC (because they told us we will get it) and my old VR headset to work accordingly.

2 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Aren't Astrobot, Little Devil and Oddworld also exclusives? Well on console anyway. Oh Oddworld is also coming to the PS4 as well I suppose. 

I’m slightly embarrassed I missed a few but I’m my defence I did it from memory and...

Astrobot - I think I was dismissing it because it was a playroom title. 

Little Devil - Based on what I knew about this I thought this was multiplatform but I gather they’ve made it exclusive now. THIS ACTUALLY LOOKS GREAT! 

Oddworld - No excuse other than it being forgetful because I thought the trailer was poor. 

5 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

image.png.f092183523aae01184ba0111bac08b34.png

This is from Eurogamer

The OG Xbox One and George Foreman PS3 both felt absolutely massive in person, so for this to be a sizeable chunk bigger than either... I already liked the XSX form factor (I'll have to lay it horizontal, though) but against the PS5 it's looking more and more sensible.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

I mean, Rockstar are hardly pushing the envelope artistically. GTAV and RDR2 basically look exactly like the HBO shows they’re ripping off but only if you completely missed the point of those shows. The narratives are just an excuse to string together shit shooting sections and they’ve gone full EA with GTA online and abandoned any pretence of trying to innovate or create anything new. Their model of reskinning  cars to sell again is basically the same as their model of reskinning GTA3 to sell over and over again for the last 20 years. It’s not a huge shock that they seem to have decided to remove the part which takes the most work for the smallest return on investment. They’re a multimillion dollar business that brutally oppresses their workforce in order to further enrich their billionaire owners, not artists.

Look I’m not the biggest fan either but to suggest they have no desire as a company, a collective, to make another game and release content only for GTA Online evermore is boneheaded, of course they are working on the next GTA, Red Dead or whatever. 

3 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Are there any pictures of the back of it?

As if I do eat crow and get one, I might go digital and then just have the ugly fucker facing the naughty corner.

I've never wanted to post a goatse to rllmuk more in my life.

Everyone seems to be disappointed with the (potential) launch games but, other than SSX with the PS2, I can't remember a sony launch game that's grabbed me with all of the great games coming later. Nintendo probably have the best track record of launch games for me with Super Monkey Ball on the cube, Wii Sports and Twilight Princess on the Wii and Breath of the Wild on the switch. But Sony? Nah

24 minutes ago, Moz said:

image.thumb.png.c21d6575733177132abf011fa1ceb27a.png

Looking at this image, it’s either wrong to base it on the disc slot (the PS5 could have a longer opening for some reason) or the PS5 controller is pretty hefty in size as well.

The digital version isn't too bad if they have a refund policy and you jump through a few hoops to get cheap credit I suppose. PSN prices do have a habit of massively taking the piss though.

33 minutes ago, footle said:

It's also a photo designed to make it look smaller - see how the other two consoles are shown side on - which has the effect of increasing their apparent width, whereas the depth of the PS5 seems to be a "hidden" measurement at this point.

75A7C3E2-CA4F-44E4-B5DA-BFFE0F25EBF1.thumb.jpeg.a95f6bd5aab202e8b1b4559e2266bc9a.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Look I’m not the biggest fan either but to suggest they have no desire as a company, a collective, to make another game and release content only for GTA Online evermore is boneheaded, of course they are working on the next GTA, Red Dead or whatever. 

I think it’s more to do with being able to justify doing that to Take 2, who actually make their decisions for them. Again, there’s no single player V DLC, despite them promising it. You’d assume that would be more satisfying creatively than reskinning cars. But it would have cost a huge amount, and that’s why it didn’t happen.

I think they’re making something, but I don’t think we will ever see another single player focused story as the centrepiece. I think they will make an expanded and expandable GTAO with some token story elements, because it will make them more money and that’s what actually matters to the people making all these decisions. Benzies and Houser are gone, and the other houser is the one who hasn’t been constantly arguing with Take 2 for the last ten years about how important the story is. Maybe it’s a coincidence that he’s the only senior staff member left, but it seems more likely that the battle against shareholder control has probably recently been lost, which is why I’d expect changes from here.

9 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

The digital only version of the PS5 has grown on me.

Almost enough to make me consider buying a standalone 4K player separately.

To get the most from 4K Blu-ray you need a really, really good big TV otherwise you’ll probably not notice enough of a difference. 

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

75A7C3E2-CA4F-44E4-B5DA-BFFE0F25EBF1.thumb.jpeg.a95f6bd5aab202e8b1b4559e2266bc9a.jpeg

I think it’s more to do with being able to justify doing that to Take 2, who actually make their decisions for them. Again, there’s no single player V DLC, despite them promising it. You’d assume that would be more satisfying creatively than reskinning cars. But it would have cost a huge amount, and that’s why it didn’t happen.

I think they’re making something, but I don’t think we will ever see another single player focused story as the centrepiece. I think they will make an expanded and expandable GTAO with some token story elements, because it will make them more money and that’s what actually matters to the people making all these decisions. Benzies and Houser are gone, and the other houser is the one who hasn’t been constantly arguing with Take 2 for the last ten years about how important the story is. Maybe it’s a coincidence that he’s the only senior staff member left, but it seems more likely that the battle against shareholder control has probably recently been lost, which is why I’d expect changes from here.

Whether they make another one or not is down to sales and both GTA V and RDR2 are two of the biggest selling games this gen, the former of all time. I don’t think there is any question whether they’ll make another GTA, it just takes time - love em or hate em they are cutting edge on an artistic and technical level. 

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Whether they make another one or not is down to sales and both GTA V and RDR2 are two of the biggest selling games this gen, the former of all time. I don’t think there is any question whether they’ll make another GTA, it just takes time - love em or hate em they are cutting edge on an artistic and technical level. 

Meh, their games are extremely bland and generic looking and are hardly even the prettiest in that field. Plus it’s easy to make it very pretty when you haven’t added a meaningful gameplay feature for twenty years. 

Again, there will be another GTA. But if you’re hoping for GTA6 with a story like the last one and RDR2 I’d prepare for disappointment. It will be GTA Online 2, not GTA6.

Just now, Broker said:

Meh, their games are extremely bland and generic looking and are hardly even the prettiest in that field. Plus it’s easy to make it very pretty when you haven’t added a meaningful gameplay feature for twenty years. 

Again, there will be another GTA. But if you’re hoping for GTA6 with a story like the last one and RDR2 I’d prepare for disappointment. It will be GTA Online 2, not GTA6.

I mean you can keep on disagreeing but on a technical and artistic level there is only really Naughty Dog and CD Projekt who I’d count as their contemporaries, I mean there are few developers who can deliver a production to that level. So I’d say that their staff are probably a fairly talented bunch who took up the positions to make these games look and perform as good as they do - and on that level alone I’d argue is the desire on an artistic level. 

There is no way we will never see another single player game from them - no we didn’t get GTA DLC but look at the scale of RDR2. 

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I mean you can keep on disagreeing but on a technical and artistic level there is only really Naughty Dog and CD Projekt who I’d count as their contemporaries, I mean there are few developers who can deliver a production to that level. So I’d say that their staff are probably a fairly talented bunch who took up the positions to make these games look and perform as good as they do - and on that level alone I’d argue is the desire on an artistic level. 

There is no way we will never see another single player game from them - no we didn’t get GTA DLC but look at the scale of RDR2. 

If what you want is bland, photoreal games I’d suggest Ubisoft as the best, not the ones you’ve listed. AC and Watchdogs are as good looking as GTA, with as many NPCs. Naughty Dog have very good animation, but I don’t think their pretty corridors are any prettier than COD. Triple A games generally all look exactly the same now, with very realistic looking places that have no individual personality.

Red Dead has been in development for seven years. The industry is completely different, as is Rockstar’s business model. I’ve had this discussion a million times about the V DLC, and been met with a lot of disbelief from people who don’t want it to be true, but single player Rockstar games are a thing of the past. Them dragging Red Dead out so it wasn’t a total loss doesn’t make me think any differently about that. And in terms of what their artists are thinking, I’ve talked to ten or so of them over the last few years and they all seem to think that doing their nightmare job for a few years will hopefully be worth it so they can write Rockstar on their CV when they’re applying for jobs at places they actually want to work.

15 minutes ago, Broker said:

If what you want is bland, photoreal games I’d suggest Ubisoft as the best, not the ones you’ve listed. AC and Watchdogs are as good looking as GTA, with as many NPCs. Naughty Dog have very good animation, but I don’t think their pretty corridors are any prettier than COD. Triple A games generally all look exactly the same now, with very realistic looking places that have no individual personality.

Red Dead has been in development for seven years. The industry is completely different, as is Rockstar’s business model. I’ve had this discussion a million times about the V DLC, and been met with a lot of disbelief from people who don’t want it to be true, but single player Rockstar games are a thing of the past. Them dragging Red Dead out so it wasn’t a total loss doesn’t make me think any differently about that. And in terms of what their artists are thinking, I’ve talked to ten or so of them over the last few years and they all seem to think that doing their nightmare job for a few years will hopefully be worth it so they can write Rockstar on their CV when they’re applying for jobs at places they actually want to work.

Whatever you say, kind of pointless arguing with you. 

26 minutes ago, Broker said:

What games do float your boat these days? I'm perfectly happy for folks to rag on most games because I'm a selfish sod and if I like something I'm more than happy and don't really care much about what other folks' hate or love. 

But I'm genuinely interested in what's on your playlists!

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive