PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

My biggest concern is where to put the bloody thing, it would fit in my AV unit but it would leave barely any room for air to flow around it and considering it has vents all around it I’d say this is pretty important. So the only other option is vertical next to my TV, and I just don’t think I want to do that, maybe I could put a vase in front or something :unsure:

25 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Don’t get me started on this. Days Gone ties your save to an unique code on the disk. So if you repurchase the game physically or initially borrowed a copy you can’t access your old save.

Wait, they actually went ahead and did it?!

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

THere's a few I think where they've made absolutely baffling/unfriendly decisions on saves. Disc saves incompatible with digital saves, and then apparently this Days Gone clusterfuck.

think I’ve been bitten by the one for Bloodborne.  Highly fucking annoying! 

3 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Has there ever been a rational explanation of why new digital releases are so expensive? To keep retail happy?

Because with far less physical cost and a digital only console it will become far harder to justify. And whilst Id love a digital only library the cost difference is enough to put me off and get the one with the drive.

Well I guess the industry has been struggling with the rising cost of making games this gen, looking at different pricing models to get around the fact that the RRP of a game off the shelf has plateaued the last few decades (and therefore gone down with inflation) so they probably see charging the same for digital as physical as a way to compensate. 

5 hours ago, AI1 said:

Games don't play off discs anymore and are copied to the hdd regardless, drive or no drive.

No but when reinstalling from disc is quicker than re-downloading any games you need to uninstall for storage reasons.

54 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Don’t get me started on this. Days Gone ties your save to an unique code on the disk. So if you repurchase the game physically or initially borrowed a copy you can’t access your old save.

Buying it digitally carries your save from disc though.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Saw this on reddit.  A list of games shown and whether they’re exclusives, timed exclusive or coming out on other formats etc.   it’s missing Ratchet and Clank. 

64053C11-8CCD-4702-AE4D-C290827BCD15.thumb.jpeg.47dc7f36216e7a42a433386f2b61910c.jpeg

PC will eventually get everything shown there once the PS5 gets emulated. :P 

45 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

think I’ve been bitten by the one for Bloodborne.  Highly fucking annoying! 

I don't think so. I have three distinct versions of Bloodborne (don't ask), all same save. 

47 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I don't think so. I have three distinct versions of Bloodborne (don't ask), all same save. 

I've done the same between physical and digital. This is a user issue maybe?

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Well I guess the industry has been struggling with the rising cost of making games this gen, looking at different pricing models to get around the fact that the RRP of a game off the shelf has plateaued the last few decades (and therefore gone down with inflation) so they probably see charging the same for digital as physical as a way to compensate. 

The number of people into gaming is much bigger than it was a decade ago.   They're selling more of their product.  I don't buy any of this inflation nonsense.

55 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

so I have the game of the year edition or whatever it's called on disc and the standard edition on digital.  The game says the save isn't compatible.  Last time I asked it was down to the fact that you can get a certain item in the game of the year edition.  I didn't have it. The save should still work between them.  Well at least that's my expectation of how it should work based on other platforms. 

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

The only problem I have is that the money doesn’t go back to games it gets spent on marketing. Millions and millions and millions on marketing.

24 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

so I have the game of the year edition or whatever it's called on disc and the standard edition on digital.  The game says the save isn't compatible.  Last time I asked it was down to the fact that you can get a certain item in the game of the year edition.  I didn't have it. The save should still work between them.  Well at least that's my expectation of how it should work based on other platforms. 

I think this is a FROM issue, not a Sony issue. Once you boot the game with the DLC installed your save is updated accordingly (regardless of whether you have DLC-specific items). That save is then incompatible with the regular (non-GOTY) version.

24 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

The number of people into gaming is much bigger than it was a decade ago.   They're selling more of their product.  I don't buy any of this inflation nonsense.

Yeah they’ll always want more profit too of course, but there’s a reason most publishers are trying different pricing models for their games.

3 hours ago, rafaqat said:

it’s just the likes of us generally that are aware of these cheaper credit deals.  Normal people who aren’t into gaming as much will buy the disc less version becuase it’s cheaper and then either get a subscription or just buy a few games off the store direct.  Ker-ching.  Can’t blame them. Every business is out to maximize profit.  

The likes of us also game share so that our digital games are already 50% off on day one :) Edit: oh and we also do the cheaper credit thing, so the price is even less than that. As you can imagine, I'm going for the digital edition.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Yeah inflation isn’t nonsense . It’s a fact that £55 today is worth less than it was 20 years ago . Adjusted for inflation games are cheaper than they were in 2001.

My current thinking is that if the standard edition is anything up to £100 more expensive than the digital edition then I will go for that. I figure that I will probably save more than that over the life of the console with cheaper and/or second hand physical titles, plus I don’t have a 4K blu-ray player. Also the digital benefits are still there assuming there are no other differences between the consoles. 

I freely admit that the digital edition looks nicer, but that’s not enough to sway it for me. 

15 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Sony seem to be buying a lot of exclusives. Haven’t seen anyone complain yet, despite Microsoft (and bizarrely, Epic) taking a lot of heat for it. 

odd that, isn’t it?

(the epic steam thing is just weird given how good the deal is for developers)

7 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

If it digital is £400-450 and the the drive version is over £500... yeesh.

If the "digital" version has a £100 discount with maybe £20 savings in material cost (I know blu-ray drives cost much more at retail - they're not buying them at retail), that leaves them trying to make back at least £80 over the console's lifespan. Sony have managed to sell about 10 games per console this gen, which is a relatively high ratio, and it's not at all guaranteed they'll repeat the trick. But let's assume they do - and they take a cut of 30% on each game sold instead of more like 10% - that has them just about breaking even I think?

I wonder if pricing would've been revealed already if E3 hadn't been cancelled. Nothing is forcing Sony or Microsoft into an announcement and it seems they both have to choose between announcing a relatively high price that will doubtless disappoint some, or making significant losses at the outset. I imagine whoever is last to announce will probably largely follow the other's lead.