PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

Watching the IGN coverage the other day they suggested that the 2 models of PS5 might straddle the Series X in price, and that may have been one of the driving factors for the release of the Digital Edition so Sony can have something cheaper than Microsoft. They did still make the assumption that Lockhart is real and an all-digital system which would undercut everything. 

27 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Sony seem to be buying a lot of exclusives. Haven’t seen anyone complain yet, despite Microsoft (and bizarrely, Epic) taking a lot of heat for it. 

If you're canvassing opinions I continue to think timed exclusives are pointless and bad. (Although I'm not too fussed about Epic's, as that's just a different launcher.)

16 minutes ago, robotattack said:

As the follow up tweet states: it also carries over to the console and accessories

Glad to see Sony have invested in the design of the PS5 in ways the public can really appreciate. 

16 minutes ago, Liamness said:

If the "digital" version has a £100 discount with maybe £20 savings in material cost (I know blu-ray drives cost much more at retail - they're not buying them at retail), that leaves them trying to make back at least £80 over the console's lifespan. Sony have managed to sell about 10 games per console this gen, which is a relatively high ratio, and it's not at all guaranteed they'll repeat the trick. But let's assume they do - and they take a cut of 30% on each game sold instead of more like 10% - that has them just about breaking even I think?

I wonder if pricing would've been revealed already if E3 hadn't been cancelled. Nothing is forcing Sony or Microsoft into an announcement and it seems they both have to choose between announcing a relatively high price that will doubtless disappoint some, or making significant losses at the outset. I imagine whoever is last to announce will probably largely follow the other's lead.

£20 material cost = £30-£35 on the unit cost for the assembly  . You have to stock parts , build it into the unit and test it . That’s not free . 

22 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Sony seem to be buying a lot of exclusives. Haven’t seen anyone complain yet, despite Microsoft (and bizarrely, Epic) taking a lot of heat for it. 

They're not "buying" exclusives, they're funding them from the outset, from concept all the way to the shipped game.

38 minutes ago, Liamness said:

They're not "buying" exclusives, they're funding them from the outset, from concept all the way to the shipped game.

They're not funding all those timed exclusives from the outset. Deathloop just to name the first example that comes to mind is funded by Bethesda, its publisher. Who at some point made a co-marketing deal with timed exclusivity with Sony.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Do they? The only heat I heard of is when Epic swept in with exclusivity right before release, invalidating people’s Steam pre-orders.

What exclusives have MS been getting heat for? I’ve not been following that one.

51 minutes ago, Liamness said:

I think you might find there are some Kickstarter backers who don’t agree with you.

Kickstarter backers? I was talking about Sony. Maybe there's a specific example I'm not thinking of though?

I hadn't considered timed exclusives - yeah that's a shitty practice. I'm wondering if Microsoft will be engaging in similar practices

Just now, Liamness said:

Kickstarter backers? I was talking about Sony. Maybe there's a specific example I'm not thinking of though?

I hadn't considered timed exclusives - yeah that's a shitty practice. I'm wondering if Microsoft will be engaging in similar practices

I’d be stunned if they weren’t (eg. The Ascent will presumably come to PS5 at some point). It’s an obvious way for developers to get the core funding they need to build their game.

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Microsoft’s biggest flagship exclusive was a third party title they swept in and bought the rights for close to release... Halo.

Well that was two decades ago now, and they did eventually release a port for macs. Plus I seriously doubt it would've been the same game, or maybe even released at all, had Microsoft not acquired Bungie. The same month as they were acquired, it was shown off at E3 with a third person camera.

3 hours ago, robotattack said:

As the follow up tweet states: it also carries over to the console and accessories

Sadly Sony seem to have retained the shoulder buttons’ capacity to devastate media playback if the controller’s moved.

19 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Has there ever been a rational explanation of why new digital releases are so expensive? To keep retail happy?

Because with far less physical cost and a digital only console it will become far harder to justify. And whilst Id love a digital only library the cost difference is enough to put me off and get the one with the drive.

Nintendo's Satoru Iwata once gave an explanation. The price of their games is dictated by the amount of development effort and content, not by the delivery medium.

The fact physical retailers are willing to slit each other's throats for your business isn't something game publishers have that much control over, unlike direct digital sales.

12 hours ago, Liamness said:

If the "digital" version has a £100 discount with maybe £20 savings in material cost (I know blu-ray drives cost much more at retail - they're not buying them at retail), that leaves them trying to make back at least £80 over the console's lifespan. Sony have managed to sell about 10 games per console this gen, which is a relatively high ratio, and it's not at all guaranteed they'll repeat the trick. But let's assume they do - and they take a cut of 30% on each game sold instead of more like 10% - that has them just about breaking even I think?

There's also the consideration that if they can use this generation to turn the tide more to digital that benefits them long term.  Breaking even this gen would be a bargain for that probably permanent change.

15 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

For comparison, Microsoft also had a clear vision for where it wanted to take gaming: into the PC space. There is no MS ethos about game creativity. They just wanted a multimedia box in your front room that will play PC games.

Control of the living room was the whole reason Microsoft got into the game in the first place. They'd have happily not done so if their prior efforts to partner with an existing player had proven successful.

Their ultimate aim isn't about games really, merely a means to an end, it's about being the ultimate toll booth/theme park owner. They want a cut of all transactions and to control the ecosystem.

57 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Yeah and it's still pretty much the only feather in Microsoft's cap. Generally I regard Sony's vision for gaming to be a move towards cinematic experiences. That is what their first party stuff strives for. They've also branched into creativity apps and Nintendo-esque content, with muted success. And they're pushing the envelope with VR.

For comparison, Microsoft also had a clear vision for where it wanted to take gaming: into the PC space. There is no MS ethos about game creativity. They just wanted a multimedia box in your front room that will play PC games.

I don't agree with this at all.

Sony chase trends and always look to maximise output with sales which is why the first party output is extremely cinematic heavy which you alluded to. However they don't seem to invest in legacy style games and genres where Nintendo and Microsoft still do.

In this gen alone Xbox has made a bespoke vs fighter, Arena fighters, Run and guns etc. Sony wouldn't touch these genres with a barge poll anymore. These aren't typical PC style games either.

38 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Their ultimate aim isn't about games really, merely a means to an end, it's about being the ultimate toll booth/theme park owner. They want a cut of all transactions and to control the ecosystem.

Of course the ultimate aim for the Xbox team is games otherwise they'd just be a bunch of robots doing a job with no satisfaction. The difference is that group has an artificial barrier always infront of them wereas people think Nintendo and Sony are more about the games because they've done it for longer. How many years and how many studios do they need making interesting content before they start getting some credit?

Sony have been in the game 25 years, MS have been in it 19 years. They're not newbies. Their big first party titles going into their 4th generation are the same as they were two gens ago minus big third party exclusives like Dead Rising - (Halo, GoW, Forza, Fable if you're lucky) - and they're suffering diminishing returns. Sony create new stellar IP's each generation, they let classics rest and resurrect them in confident ways, including throwing money to resurrect popular third party titles. People always talk about MS having a ton more money behind them, but this isn't being demonstrated by exclusive content. As a gamer, I cannot get my head around those who are brand loyalty to MS (assuming you don't buy both) - you miss out on so many fantastic Sony titles, and VR, and hopefully backwards compatibility this time round. But I have mates who will buy the XSX because they still want to play their 360 collection and the latest Fifa with their mates. Each to their own, but MS seems content to cultivate their own corner of the market rather than emulating their 360 days and aggressively going after Sony or offering anything exciting to move the industry forward.

That's a whole lot of downplay in one go. If Game Pass isn't exciting or moving the industry forward then what is?

They are also the only one of the big three to come up and release concepts like the adaptive controller, So gaming is inclusive to as many people as possible.

1 hour ago, Revival said:

I don't agree with this at all.

Sony chase trends and always look to maximise output with sales which is why the first party output is extremely cinematic heavy which you alluded to. However they don't seem to invest in legacy style games and genres where Nintendo and Microsoft still do.

In this gen alone Xbox has made a bespoke vs fighter, Arena fighters, Run and guns etc. Sony wouldn't touch these genres with a barge poll anymore. These aren't typical PC style games either.

I don’t think the assertion that Sony’s games are “cinematic heavy” stands up to any real scrutiny once you look past their blockbuster games. They put out a wide variety of games including a whole genre which Microsoft quite literally will not touch with a barge pole - VR. 

They also seem to be content to let developers like Media Molecule and Kojima just do whatever the hell they like. 

And more generally, I don’t think that calling their games cinematic heavy is any more fair than lumping Crackdown, Halo and Gears together and calling them all shooters. 

As for chasing trends, two of their biggest games of the generation (HZD and Spiderman) are new IP and God of War is a complete franchise overhaul. Sucker Punch’s new blockbuster is also new IP. 

11 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

It's not going to be cheap!

Emphasising value as opposed to price.

I'll consider it good value if back compatibility is properly integrated.

Oooff, yeah, that's pretty unambiguous. I mean they do seem to be poking MS on this issue, in the hope that they'll blink first, so they could very well be managing the expectations game, but when you look at the tech inside these boxes, they're not going to be cheap. I'm bracing myself for $599 for the disc model. 

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

As for chasing trends, two of their biggest games of the generation (HZD and Spiderman) are new IP and God of War is a complete franchise overhaul. Sucker Punch’s new blockbuster is also new IP. 

I think the trend for single player story driven games has been a welcome one. Uncharted, Last of Us, HZD, Spider-Man Adler all great games.   But. They have a certain pattern to them.  I’d be disappointed ted if we got the same next gen. 

MS already reached this point last gen.  I enjoyed Gears Of War but it was just more gears of war with a story. 

Uncharted for me was getting long in the tooth pattern wise. Story and acting were great but they’re almost cookie cutter nowadays. 

The winning formula last gen was 

single player, an engaging story and the ability to upgrade character and or weapons to keep it interesting.  It seems we’re likely to get more of that this gen.  Which is fine I think for one more gen for me personally before I tap out. 

I’m unlikely to buy another Spider-Man unless it very different from the PS4 game. 

I’m unlikely to buy another Uncharted if it’s the same formula as previous ones and spin offs. 

horizon zero Dawn for me personally had a a really really great story that clicked with me so I’m still interested in the sequel but beyond that sequel it’ll be on Gears of War territory for me. 

maybe I’ll get back to playing more indies. Or just sink permanently into playin Tetris Effect (Which is absolutely amazing and I hope we see more of that). 

I want to see more of PS2 Sony where we saw much more Variety from them. Ico was anew thing and so was Shadow of the colossus. You bought a Sony console for the absolute mad games you’d see. (Parappa the rapper the gen before that, Vin ribbon as well).    That’s the off the wall Sony I want to see more of rather than the single player upgrade character template we have for the big Sony exclusives.  

hopefully MS  do more than Churn out new halo’s and gears of war games too.