Jump to content
IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive


Eighthours
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

The PS3 got flack for its size and design but I always found it to be pretty unobtrusive in the living room.

 

That launch design sold me a Xbox 360 which is one of the best consoles I've owned so I've always been very grateful for it.  :D

 

I'm being silly obviously, but it was a factor in my choice at the time. I did much prefer my PS3 slim though which felt like they finished the design idea they had started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I’m still slightly reeling from the probable size of this thing. DF estimate 15 inches tall/wide depending on orientation.

 

Considering the less beefy than a Series X cpu it’s baffling why it seems to be enormous and constructed almost entirely of vents. As it is though, there’s no excuse for it to be noisy, so it better not be.

 

Considering the thoughtful design of PS4 this looks more like a gaming PC from a company called GamezSharx or something. At least they’ve attempted to visually slim it down using white plastic I guess.

 

Of course I’ll get one. For the first time since the first Playstation I might wait a bit though, unless it releases with some 10/10 unmissable exclusive.


Size is definitely going to be a problem. The design is certainly divisive but personally I love it, it just looks futuristic and feels like a proper next gen system, its something that wouldnt look out of place in a sci-fi movie. Which seems to be backed up by the UI if the sneak peak is anything to go by. In contrast the Series X is downright boring, which is a shame as the Xbox one x was my favourite console design this gen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I opened up my original launch PS4 yesterday and cleaned up the fan and used the air cannister to blast everywhere I could get but alas it is stil noisy. Guess only thing left to do is Thermal Paste which I am not brave enough to do just yet, will attempt once I have purchased a PS5 & then the kids can have the Pro.

 

Will clean up the PS4 Pro today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Ivanho said:

Hmmmm....

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53264059

 

Not entirely unexpected but does going over the £50 barrier, by some margin, put you off?  I know that paying RRP is uncommon, although I paid it for AC on the switch as it was sold out at the places where is was slightly discounted, but is £65 too much?

It’s been over the £50 barrier for a while for online purchases . I’ve paid £60

for a number of launch games digitally so another fiver probably doesn’t change anything for me . 
Course these days I buy far more stuff as and when the price drops, with naturally or in sales  , which it invariably does 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair they're saying it's a £5 increase, but nobody pays £60 for games at the moment. Even digital things like TLOU part 2 are "only" £55 digitally and £15 cheaper than that for physical. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always happens before new console releases. The RRP is always higher than the actual price you can get it for. Remember Xbox 360 games were touted at £49.99 ended up being less in actuality.

 

In the end the market will dictate what people are prepared to pay. Not happy with £65 don't buy it. They'll soon drop the prices down :)

 

I have a ceiling anyway and just wait for games to hit that point. £65 is too much for me that will buy me a whole bunch of other stuff other than a game. To be fair this gen had far more entertainment from a bunch of indie titles and a sub to GamePass. Which is where I will go in future. The days of £45+ day one AAA games have gone for me now. To many other things to spend money on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Radish said:

To be fair they're saying it's a £5 increase, but nobody pays £60 for games at the moment. Even digital things like TLOU part 2 are "only" £55 digitally and £15 cheaper than that for physical. 

Ha , in my head i thought I’d spent £59.99 on that . Turns out it was £54.99 . So basically  I’ve already adjusted to the new price ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m kinda fine with it but it’ll sting for a while. They have to offer digital ps5 owners some perks. Maybe for psych titles they can rotate one on sale every week. That’s where the money is. Us spending more on more things that are more fairly priced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s pretty easy to make sure these £65 digital games don’t become the norm. Don’t buy at launch. Companies will adjust price to a level that we’re happy with.  But already people saying they’re ready to pay that in this thread.  Suckers. 
 

we’ve got hardware and game engines that  shout about how much easier they’re making development and reducing the number of hours needing to be spent on games dev and then we have the shite hawks trying a price hike on us?  They can get fucked!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

It’s pretty easy to make sure these £65 digital games don’t become the norm. Don’t buy at launch. Companies will adjust price to a level that we’re happy with.  But already people saying they’re ready to pay that in this thread.  Suckers. 
 

we’ve got hardware and game engines that  shout about how much easier they’re making development and reducing the number of hours needing to be spent on games dev and then we have the shite hawks trying a price hike on us?  They can get fucked!

 

Says the guy that bought a launch Xbox One :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

 

Says the guy that bought a launch Xbox One :lol:

 

Bought a launch Ps4 actually. Xbox One I bought a couple of months later.  But don't let facts get in the way.   :lol:

Also for someone that said he'd put me on ignore you're not doing very well!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

It’s pretty easy to make sure these £65 digital games don’t become the norm. Don’t buy at launch. Companies will adjust price to a level that we’re happy with.  But already people saying they’re ready to pay that in this thread.  Suckers. 
 

we’ve got hardware and game engines that  shout about how much easier they’re making development and reducing the number of hours needing to be spent on games dev and then we have the shite hawks trying a price hike on us?  They can get fucked!

Im fine with paying £65 . Of course I’d rather pay less , but Inflation adjusted its the same as 2001 .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Im fine with paying £65 . Of course I’d rather pay less , but Inflation adjusted its the same as 2001 .

 

Dude. Come on.  You're just making excuses for the companies wanting to nudge the new normal upwards.  Fight it!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know we say this every time a new generation comes along but wouldn’t it be great if there was a range of price points. Some recent examples that are just my opinion and you might disagree. 

Modern Warfare - I got this with my PS4 Pro, but I don’t play online so just played through the campaign once on Normal. To me it’s a 20-30 quid game. If anyone wants the multiplayer then sell that separately for 30 quid or FTP a la Warzone. 
 

RDR2 - I enjoyed it, despite all its faults which I acknowledge. But the pure scale of it means if any game is a 65 quid-er, this is it (assuming it’s your bag). 
 

LOU Part 2 - I haven’t played it yet as my PS4 is in a container somewhere while we move, but this will probably easily be a £50 game for me. A linear-ish high quality single player game that I’ll play once or twice probably. 
 

In reality, I’m sure what I’ll do is buy a couple of launch games for a high price and then either buy the cheapest physical editions or wait for the sales from then on. Same as every Gen. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

 

Dude. Come on.  You're just making excuses for the companies wanting to nudge the new normal upwards.  Fight it!

 

I’m fine with it . Per pound things like horizon , god of war , gt sport , tlou2 , death stranding, ffvii etc are a bargain even at £65, it’s like £2 an hour if that . There’s not many forms of entertainment that can boast that . Stuff I’m not that fussed about I’ll wait for sales . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I know we say this every time a new generation comes along but wouldn’t it be great if there was a range of price points. Some recent examples that are just my opinion and you might disagree. 

Modern Warfare - I got this with my PS4 Pro, but I don’t play online so just played through the campaign once on Normal. To me it’s a 20-30 quid game. If anyone wants the multiplayer then sell that separately for 30 quid or FTP a la Warzone. 
 

RDR2 - I enjoyed it, despite all its faults which I acknowledge. But the pure scale of it means if any game is a 65 quid-er, this is it (assuming it’s your bag). 
 

LOU Part 2 - I haven’t played it yet as my PS4 is in a container somewhere while we move, but this will probably easily be a £50 game for me. A linear-ish high quality single player game that I’ll play once or twice probably. 
 

In reality, I’m sure what I’ll do is buy a couple of launch games for a high price and then either buy the cheapest physical editions or wait for the sales from then on. Same as every Gen. 

 

There have been a lot of attempts over the years- but it basically boils down to "cheap RRP == shit" and they sell quite badly. Margins are awful too- a £20 rando punt on Bishi Bashi Special back in the day is now worth as much in real terms as buying Destiny 2 with a slight discount. If you tried to sell a game for less than £30 at launch you'd not break even.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s a tonne of games launching at lower spots on the price spectrum, in indie games and from smaller scale publishers. But if you’re talking about anything in the AAA space, it all costs tens of millions of pounds to make and it’s all going to be priced in an effort to recoup that before the next quarterly earnings meeting.
 

Control was Remedy’s “quick and cheap to make” game and it cost $30m.
 

Maybe you feel you got more value out of RDR2 than Modern Warfare but that doesn’t really change how much each cost to develop.

 

It’s easy to say “well, if it was half the price they’d sell twice as much” but given that on average people buy maybe half a dozen games in the entire lifespan of a console, you probably won’t find significantly more customers, you’ll just make less money. The market’s not heavily constrained by how much games cost at retail, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GamesGamesGames said:

 

Is that so? Not doubting it, just astonished.

If your average attach rate is 6 games over the console’s lifespan you’re doing quite well. This isn’t a great benchmark anymore, so people tend to use the revenue generated from games divided by the number of consoles sold. The Switch works out to something insane like £400 of software per console sold. At £50-55 per major title.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.