IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

26 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yeah I also agree that whoever made that has no clue about VAT and the current sterling to dollar exchange rate.

It's not going to be cheaper in pounds than dollars. The most we can hope for is parity.

Does the Dollar to Sterling conversion matter? The pattern is that manufacturers just replace the dollar symbol with a euro symbol to get European pricing and then base the UK price on that. 

7 minutes ago, bear said:

Does the Dollar to Sterling conversion matter? The pattern is that manufacturers just replace the dollar symbol with a euro symbol to get European pricing and then base the UK price on that. 

Well, the pricing for the Digital Edition matches the respective regional cost of the PS4 at launch, and later the PS4 Pro.

• November 2013, PS4 launch: 1 USD = 0.63 GBP
  • November 2016, Pro launch: 1 USD = 0.79 GBP
  • Today: 1 USD = 0.76 GBP

In other words, I don't think it's much of a factor.

Personally I'm not expecting Sony to take that much of a hit on the DE, but it's certainly a price point that worked for them this generation.

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The £100 price difference is more to drive sales of the digital option than reflect the actual cost of parts + license. And how much is the cheapest standalone player anyway? I bet it’s a lot more than £100. 

It’s UHD too right?

1 hour ago, K said:

There seems to be this persistent delusion online that a blu-ray drive costs £100, and that you could knock that amount off the price by removing one from a console. 

Think of it as an incentive to completely give up the ability to rent/trade/sell your games.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Think of it as an incentive to completely give up the ability to rent/trade/sell your games.

Rather than an incentive I look it at as more of a trade off. £50 difference isn’t enough to make me consider not being able to buy and sell second hand any more, the digital edition has to have a serious price advantage to make it worthwhile. Sony get to be the only store for the digital system, that’s worth way more than £50 in the long term. 

8 minutes ago, Steven said:

Saw a rumour earlier today regarding a Sony event on the 9th September. COD just dropped their new trailer which is captured on PS5  - out on Nov 14th with a big multiplayer reveal on Sept 9th. Hmmm.

Looks pretty cool. I only ever play the SP campaign.

1 minute ago, teddymeow said:

Looks pretty cool. I only ever play the SP campaign.

I've got MW remastered installed and will never buy another one after the pantomime of constantly having to update Modern Warfare. Tedious, time-wasting horseshit.

5 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

That's not what it says. You have to upgrade it via the PS Store.

The whole thing is a mess going by that article. 

Quite right, clarified post.

And you're right. It's an absolute cluster fuck! Even more ridiculous than 505 Games and Control.

Uh Cold COD War. I don’t want to play for Ronald Reagan what the hell. It does look pretty cool though, hope there’s a Halo 2 twist and you get to play as the good guys (communism) eventually. 

There’ll be wall to wall ads for this mind and each one advertises the PS5, that’s a bit of a head start in the Console War.

While I fully commend the use of Blue Monday, I feel the thunder was already stolen by the first Wonder Woman 84 trailer. 

The different versions are a mess, can’t wait to see what Ubisoft do with Valhalla now they've got an extra variable to play with. 

6 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

While I fully commend the use of Blue Monday, I feel the thunder was already stolen by the first Wonder Woman 84 trailer. 

The different versions are a mess, can’t wait to see what Ubisoft do with Valhalla now they've got an extra variable to play with. 

What is the extra variable?

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive