PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

Microsoft could probably point to their numbers and say that BC isn't worth the money that they've spent on it, but you can't look at it purely on that basis. They would have done a lot better this gen if the feature had been there at launch. People would have definitely been hesitant at moving over to PlayStation if they knew that they were unnecessarily starting from scratch.

Also, it's worth noting that while the PS4 didn't have BC, it did have a few cross-buy games where the PS4 ports were automatically added to your library on release.

BC, especially for every previous console, is a very heavy technical lift to pull off, which would provide limited financial payback, sure.

But, what if they've been working on it throughout the course of the PS4's lifetime? The fact that they got PS2 games running on PS4 makes me think that's what's happened. They've spread the cost over times that they haven't had as much to do.

Porting that work to PS5 shouldn't be too big a job, given the similarities/built-in backwards compat with the PS4 on the hardware side. From an OS perspective, I'm willing to bet that under the hood, a LOT of the PS5's OS will be shared from PS4 

I’m not sure PS1,2,3 BC is all that. The only reason the XBox games they’ve reissued are vaguely ok is because they’ve basically fully remastered them. The 360 games are a better case, and there are the occasional games which you really would like to keep playing, but Sony would be happier selling it to you again (TLOU Remastered et al).

I can’t imagine they’ll throw out everyone’s digital PS4 library though.

On 15/10/2019 at 14:46, Mr. Gerbik said:

There are plenty of 360 and OG Xbox games on the Xbox Store though. But in that case (afaik) it's indeed because Microsoft themselves decided to put in the effort and put a dedicated team on it.

There aren't many OG Xbox games though, and what's there is hugely skewed to stuff owned by Disney - it must be 80-90% Star Wars. So I'd say that the rights issues, licensing etc. remain very real obstacles regardless of the engineering side and having a dedicated team on the case. If they can't get the rights to the JSRF music or car licensing for PGR4 the games aren't coming to BC no matter how dedicated MS are :(

18 hours ago, mexos said:

Everyone is different when it comes to BC. I can understand why some people would want it but personally if it makes the thing more expensive or diverts resources and focus that could have been used to make the rest of the PS5 experience better then i would prefer they don’t do it.

When I mentioned input lag as a proviso, that's because emulation (including the PS Classic) just doesn't cut it for some games. The original PS3 wasn't even perfect.

So if they could upscale for HDMI at a very minimal latency cost, I'd like them to take that financial hit to offer the gold standard platform for their entire software library. Unless you wanted to use a CRT that'd be one console for everything, with region-free support for the lot.

1 minute ago, b00dles said:

Much like there was that giant green x for original xbox which still should have been the final product, if this is a huge V that you can stand up it will be great. 

Boring black rectangles can get in the sea. 

Mine will just go under the sofa, hidden with the rest of the AV tech so they could model it on a old mans tadder for all I care.

28 minutes ago, mexos said:

Mine will just go under the sofa, hidden with the rest of the AV tech so they could model it on a old mans tadder for all I care.

Wait, what? Under the sofa? Tell me about the wires, I'm intrigued.

8 minutes ago, mexos said:

Do you really want to know...

160518560_Screenshot2019-10-21at16_12_14.thumb.png.4e6d27c38e29008c3e2a5ac2cb3c96c2.png

That is an old diagram of what I've been doing over 3 rooms (old as I didn't bother getting Sky). I have a sofa that is on legs (DFS zinc) so there is decent room under there. I took off all the skirting in 3 rooms (in a new build lol) and hand chiselled out a groove in the skirting. (it was MDF so I didn't want to use the router because of the dust) I then channeled all the wires into some ducting I stuck on the wall and the skirting went over the top.

Upshot is there is no TV unit under my TV (samsung frame with 20m optical power/video cable) and no wires visible. Plus I can play playstation in the bedroom - even though PS4 and the TV control box for the bedroom TV both live in the living room.  I also took out some sockets under the TV so it doesn't look like a TV, just one of a number of frames on the wall. ^_^ I like to have tech everywhere but tech you can't see.

It was a mission but I think worh it. I recon I ran about 200m of cables in the end. 

Going to put all the tech on a sliding drawer under the sofa so i can easily get to it (just on the floor at the mo).

OMG, that is absolutely fantastic. 8-)

Can we hire you? ;)

Just now, Len said:

OMG, that is  absolutely fantastic. 8-)

Can we hire you? ;)

Cheers! It was a right old mission. I'll post some pics tomorrow. You wouldn't want me to do it. I essentially turned a brand new flat into a woodworking workshop. :blink2:

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Relax guys, the weird design is totally legit...

:sherlock:

I questioned the logic of Sony spending money on industrial design for a console only developers would see, but now I can see they spent no money on the industrial design.

20 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I questioned the logic of Sony spending money on industrial design for a console only developers would see, but now I can see they spent no money on the industrial design.

I don’t think they ever do.