PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

It would make sense for GAME to know that pre-orders are imminent, seeing as it directly impacts their business. Not that I'm putting too much stock in that deleted Tweet – the person running that branch's social media could be basing things on random YouTubers for all I know – but retailers will know slightly beforehand.

Sony have said there's no PS5 hardware news this week, though, and they've previously implied that pre-order availability would be announced ahead of time. So if that Tweet does amount to anything, I'd learn towards it being GAME deciding to take deposits off people without an actual price for the console whilst they continue to pretend they have a viable business.

Just seen on Reddit that someone spotted Amazon have a wall mount for the PS5, listed and it goes on sale 19th November.

Course, could just be rubbish, but never know if its a sneaky way of finding out the release of the console, or people way too bored and trying to find any link to when the console comes out.

Edit, just looked and that is a Thursday. Be a weird day to release a console. Must be BS

2 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Just seen on Reddit that someone spotted Amazon have a wall mount for the PS5, listed and it goes on sale 19th November.

Course, could just be rubbish, but never know if its a sneaky way of finding out the release of the console, or people way too bored and trying to find any link to when the console comes out.

Edit, just looked and that is a Thursday. Be a weird day to release a console. Must be BS

Yep

After the Series S announcement yesterday what are everyone’s guesses on price? I’d previously gone for £449/£549 but I think that might be suicidal now. 

Maybe they should kill the digital edition and go hard on the ‘exclusive games’ angle. 

I also think they need to combine PS Plus and Now at a good price, and maybe even get every first party PS4 title on there as a sweetener. That would compete with MS, cos it looks like they might not be able to on price alone. 

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

They will never kill the digital edition, killing physical media is both company's long term strategy,

That is a good point. I think what I mean is kill the digital edition now and work on getting something cheap and cheerful like the Series S. 

Nope too late in the day for any hardware changes now. The PS5 digital vs physical are essentially the same machine in terms of raw power. They will use that as marketing to show consumers how inferior the Series S is compared to the PS5. In terms of price I think we will get £349/£449.

43 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

That is a good point. I think what I mean is kill the digital edition now and work on getting something cheap and cheerful like the Series S. 

So still digital only, but also resolution adjusted?

Possible but gospvg is right, they'll already be assembling them.

A PS5 "Starter" edition in 2021 if the S takes off, and formally replacing the PS4/Pro feels like a possibility if the S is a blockbuster though.

I wonder if we will start to see some movement on the price of digital this gen. The prices are always ridiculously higher than retail (for absolutely no good reason) and it seems that the next part of the battle between MS and Sony will be fought here with their lower tier consoles. 

Lets hope so because the prices on new digital releases are crazy!

1 hour ago, Gigawatt said:

After the Series S announcement yesterday what are everyone’s guesses on price? I’d previously gone for £449/£549 but I think that might be suicidal now. 

Maybe they should kill the digital edition and go hard on the ‘exclusive games’ angle. 

I also think they need to combine PS Plus and Now at a good price, and maybe even get every first party PS4 title on there as a sweetener. That would compete with MS, cos it looks like they might not be able to on price alone. 

£499. With a SS rival released in 12 months at or around £299. 

1 hour ago, Gigawatt said:

My guess -

PS5 Digital : £349 / $399

PS5 "Lump" : £449 / $499

18 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I wonder if we will start to see some movement on the price of digital this gen. The prices are always ridiculously higher than retail (for absolutely no good reason) and it seems that the next part of the battle between MS and Sony will be fought here with their lower tier consoles. 

Lets hope so because the prices on new digital releases are crazy!

I am amazed that more people don't gameshare. Cuts digital prices in half, making it cheaper than physical copies. 

7 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

My original guess was £450 / £499  - they might still go for that if they’re confident about how many people have already made their minds up, but I’m prepared to be proven wrong... :P