PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

8 minutes ago, Freeman said:

From a marketing perspective, surely they need to get prices and dates out there before Series X preorders start.

I think this... 

I can totally understand them keeping their powder dry so far but the Xbox pricing is out there now, the hype is real, and in 10 days people can start putting their money down for them. People on the fence can start daydreaming about unpacking new hardware and seeing what next gen can do (the answer just faster load times as there aren't any games but you know what I mean ;)) and that may be enough to make a choice if the other option is "at some point, for some amount of money, but probably more expensive".

If they don't get the price, release date and pre-order date (soon) out there this week I'd be amazed and in my opinion a mistake. There is literally no reason not to now!

not announcing a price and date would be hilarious. Just for the forum meltdown. I don’t think we should underestimate how much more the controller might cost either.

But they’ll win Wednesday:

- spiderman, launch

- demon souls launch or launch window

- ratchet and clank, launch window

- call of duty something exclusive

- something else. Launch.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

not announcing a price and date would be hilarious. Just for the forum meltdown. I don’t think we should underestimate how much more the controller might cost either.

- spiderman, launch

On 10/09/2020 at 13:56, joffocakes said:

Ridge Racer.

6 minutes ago, footle said:

- spiderman, launch

They will win this gen regardless of price, launch exclusives or power under the hood. They go into this gen with an unassailable lead and a massive brand following.

They are the kings of the console gaming space and MS knows this which is why they are now going down a services focused route instead. No one can topple Sony at the traditional console market game.

2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

God(aw)fall?

Has that joke been made before?

Once or twice, but it deserves it to be repeated.

Knowing my luck, I'll be playing that and Bugsnax on Christmas day because either nothing else came out or the PS store is full of Christmas goodies but not working.

3 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

No one can topple Sony at the traditional console market game.

I don't think this is true anymore, or ever has been. The competition this time is very well placed, even I as someone who has never owned an X-Box is seriously thinking of getting the Series S to dip my toe in the water.

Remember when Nintendo owned the under the telly console market and the PS1 & 2 kicked them right out of it?

It could easily happen again. Sony are the kings of the big budget story driven masterpieces but other than Spidey MM which looks like it isn't actually a full game, they don't have one.

Horizon is over a year away at best, GOW hasn't been announced so that's at least two years away and ND have been too busy with leaving the PS4 on a high note.

I'll be more than happy to be convinced otherwise on Wednesday, but don't underestimate how the market and competition has changed and that being on top last time doesn't make the next gen a dead cert.

My previous guess was they would go £449/549.

What I think will happen: They will drop to £399/£499 so they are bracketing the Series X. Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls as the major launch games. No announcements on any services. 

What I’d like to happen: The presentation starts on a black screen. We hear the familiar beep as the PS button is pressed, and the system boots to the dashboard in less than 5 seconds. Whomever is playing (lets get Shu in for old times’ sake) mucks around for a little bit, then clicks on Miles Morales, which loads in 2 seconds to the title page. He presses continue, and is almost immediately swinging through Manhattan. He then demos quick resume to some other games (DS, GT7, and Probably Bugsnax). After that there’s some browsing of the PS Now tab which now includes all first-party PS4 games. Close with a mind-blowing All Access type deal for £25/30 a month which includes Now and Plus (which are now the same thing). £299/399 at retail, November 10th (for shits and giggles). 

27 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

What I think will happen: They will drop to £399/£499 so they are bracketing the Series X. Miles Morales and Demon’s Souls as the major launch games. No announcements on any services. 

What I’d like to happen: The presentation starts on a black screen. We hear the familiar beep as the PS button is pressed, and the system boots to the dashboard in less than 5 seconds. Whomever is playing (lets get Shu in for old times’ sake) mucks around for a little bit, then clicks on Miles Morales, which loads in 2 seconds to the title page. He presses continue, and is almost immediately swinging through Manhattan. He then demos quick resume to some other games (DS, GT7, and Probably Bugsnax). After that there’s some browsing of the PS Now tab which now includes all first-party PS4 games. Close with a mind-blowing All Access type deal for £25/30 a month which includes Now and Plus (which are now the same thing). £299/399 at retail, November 10th (for shits and giggles). 

Ignore this nonsense.  My last renewal for plus was about £40, which is £3.33 a month. Adding streaming of old games via Now for another £22/27 would put me right off. 

I'd be happy with the £299/399 bit though.

I reckon the disc version will match the Series X, and the discless version will be £379.

All we talk is SKUs and price points these days, I miss the days of crazy gifs.

3 minutes ago, cubik said:

My last renewal for plus was about £40, which is £3.33 a month. Adding streaming of old games (and the console hardware itself) via Now for another £22/27 would put me right off.

I'd be happy with the £299/399 bit though.

I reckon the disc version will match the Series X, and the discless version will be £379.

All we talk is SKUs and price points these days, I miss the days of crazy gifs.

19 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

It’d be funny, but they’ve not announced anything that even sounds like quick resume. Probably because they have a relatively small SSD for 4K.

44 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Ridge Racer would have to be a killer app. That's how thirsty some of us are for a proper arcade racing game.

dangerous driving, dangerous driving 2, hotshots racing, forza horizon 4.

sony don’t care about this genre.

15 minutes ago, Danster said:

Cubik can't read or is a bit dim

Apologies to @Gigawatt, I didn't realise the All Access deal was a way to buy the console from MS over 24 months. I thought they meant software only.

In that case, I totally agree it would be a no brainer for a lot of people.

1 minute ago, footle said:

It’d be funny, but they’ve not announced anything that even sounds like quick resume. Probably because they have a relatively small SSD for 4K.

The quick resume demo that MS did a few days ago was very impressive. Hopefully PS5 will have something similar, if it doesn't it'll feel dated from day one.

As for driving games, maybe they'll announce a 4K 120 FPS remastered version of the tutorial level from Driver.

A photo realistic underground car park with ray traced puddles. It looks nice but you can't get out of it.

Just now, footle said:

I love Forza Horizon 4, but I wouldn't call it an arcade racing game. But yeah, it's wishful thinking on my part and I'm looking forward to trying out Dangerous Driving 2, Hotshots Racing and Inertial Drift when I get the chance.

1 minute ago, cubik said:

The quick resume demo that MS did a few days ago was very impressive. Hopefully PS5 will have something similar, if it doesn't it'll feel dated from day one.

As for driving games, maybe they'll announce a 4K 120 FPS remastered version of the tutorial level from Driver.

A photo realistic underground car park with ray traced puddles. It looks nice but you can't get out of it.

graffiti on the walls: get gud.

5 minutes ago, cubik said:

Apologies to @Gigawatt, I didn't realise the All Access deal was a way to buy the console from MS over 24 months. I thought he meant software only.

In that case, I totally agree it would be a no brainer for a lot of people.

No worries, I think Sony need something to counter what at the moment looks like a stonkingly good value offer from Microsoft on many fronts. 

4 minutes ago, footle said:

They haven’t really announced anything about how the system actually works yet, but I’d hope they’ve at least seen what Microsoft are doing and are going to copy it. I know nothing about software or programming, but I assume that as long as there is 16GB of free space on the SSD it should be possible to dump the game state to it? Excuse my ignorance if that’s completely wrong.  

The whole services/all access thing is a big differentiator so it’ll be interesting to see how well it works for MS. AFAIK there are currently 10 million game pass subscribers whereas Sony only have about 2 million PS Now subscribers, but 40 million paid PS+ so there’s clearly room for them to leverage PS Now if they need to but I guess they’ll leave things as they are for now - if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. All access has been a thing in the states for some time now so it must have been pretty successful for them to roll it out to more countries. 

7 minutes ago, footle said:

Driveclub was amazing. Yes is it had dodgy a launch but was quickly remedied and is probably my favourite racing game of this gen. A very worthy PGR successor.

Obviously Sony then binned it (which is still a travesty) so you may well be right nowadays. :( 

Game pass is like a normal store in that you download and play it as opposed to the PS Now streaming model.

I wonder if Sony will eventually re-evaluate PS Now and turn it into a "download and play" scheme like Game pass? Obviously older titles would need the PS5 to run an emulator but surely it'd have enough power to do that whilst also upscaling etc.

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, cubik said:

Game pass is like a normal store in that you download and play it as opposed to the PS Now streaming model.

I wonder if Sony will eventually re-evaluate PS Now and turn it into a "download and play" scheme like Game pass? Obviously older titles would need the PS5 to run an emulator but surely it'd have enough power to do that whilst also upscaling etc.

spacer.png

You can download PS4 games and play them on your PS4 (and I’d imagine, PS5)as well as stream PS1,2,3 & 4. 

(actually I don’t there are any PS1 games, and I think PS2 could also be downloadable)