PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

Jim Ryan:

As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks -- probably our main task -- is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before.

Like the Xbox Series X/S, I think the PS5 is going to be cheaper than most are expecting.

2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Isn't that AestheticGamer guy the one who fabricated all that hoo-hah about Resi 8 and PS5 struggling to run at 4k because he was upset at how much negative press Microsoft we're getting over the summer?

Yes.

His claims on BOM fly in the face of what Bloomberg's reporter stated. Given the components listed as causing Sony headaches at the time, it sounds questionable how the cost has ballooned 33% since then when those parts are currently dropping in price.

When it comes to sauce, Bloomberg's reporters (Takashi Mochizuki and Jason Schreier) definitely have bottles of it, anybody else is much less reliable.

I don't give much value to the source but $549 isn't an outrageous shout for the disc version with the discless being $499. I don't see Sony eating a big loss to get the discless down to $399 in time for launch because they don't need to. 

I dunno, Sony's objectives this round are primarily userbase retention-related. Given their BOM is likely now below the $450 last mentioned by Bloomberg and how they priced the PS4 relative to estimated BOM, I could see them choosing to one upping Microsoft on price for the base PS5.

They've got the cheque book open with their dev/publisher stimulus campaign, throwing the userbase a bone with a discount would be par for the course. An extra $50/user to lock in 100+ Million people would pay off long term.

2 minutes ago, mushashi said:

I dunno, Sony's objectives this round are primarily userbase retention-related. Given their BOM is likely now below the $450 last mentioned by Bloomberg and how they priced the PS4 relative to estimated BOM, I could see them choosing to one upping Microsoft on price for the base PS5.

They've got the cheque book open with their dev/publisher stimulus campaign, throwing the userbase a bone with a discount would be par for the course. An extra $50/user to lock in 100+ Million people would pay off long term.

They have the games and the brand, they don't need to aggressively discount. 

4 minutes ago, mushashi said:

you don’t hit 100 million at the launch price. You’re aiming for the first 10 million, and they’ll get that regardless of the price.

Isn’t the expression “the first to ten million”? If Microsoft hit that by March on the strength of Series S alone, a lot of publishers are going to be targeting that platform first.

And Sony don’t want to be in a position where they’re selling units to gullible rubes at $549 for 12 months, then cutting it to $399 to actually make progress in the mainstream. That sort of price cut is a PR nightmare.

11 minutes ago, AI1 said:

€£ 349/449

$ 399/499

3 bollocks (not mine)

Another thing, they really want you to go digital, so if the disc console is 'affordable' at say £349, people will go for that one over the even cheaper digital version. I think my prices are going to be pretty spot on.

*3 extra bollocks raised* (not mine)

18 minutes ago, mushashi said:

So what you're saying is, If they throw the userbase a bone, the stock cooling for each SKU should allow them to make user retention gravy. BOM!

14 minutes ago, Isaac said:

They have the games and the brand, they don't need to aggressively discount. 

All the reporting from Bloomberg over the months has been about how they can't really price it higher than $500. The PS4 had an estimated BOM of $381 at launch, they sold it  for $400 and took a loss, why would they not choose to do the same this time? The BOM should be dropping below $450 now as a result of the NAND/DRAM glut and lack of demand so I think $450 is well within the realms of plausibility.

At worst, they'll match Microsoft's pricing on the XSX. The pricing of the DE is the more interesting thing to watch, as they might choose to be aggressive with that model for strategic reasons.

Early adopters are worth giving a handjob to, they are the whales of the console business.

3 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Jim Ryan:

Like the Xbox Series X/S, I think the PS5 is going to be cheaper than most are expecting.

That's also not something you say if you think supply is going to be scarce.

We'll all know by Wednesday (hopefully).

How about £299/£399? Or do they only add £50 to the drive model, so £299/349? Or £349/399?

42 minutes ago, Steven said:

That's also not something you say if you think supply is going to scarce.

We'll all know by Wednesday (hopefully).

How about £299/£399? Or do they only add £50 to the drive model, so £299/349? Or £349/399?

£299 £399 for sure.