PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Has the extent of PS4 support been confirmed? I thought it was select games?

I think they said the top 100 most played games will be available by launch and hopefully the entire back catalogue eventually but no time frame has been given. They also said any new games for PS4 must also be compatible. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Look at it from another POV - MS sells at £249 or £20 pm with Gamepass included, Sony starts lagging because they price theirs at £349 or £379, whatever, so they cost cut anyway to get back down to what MS are selling at, losing revenue and market share all the while - and MS gained ground. 

Sony have 40 million paid PS+ subscribers which they’ve worked hard over the last generation to secure - no way will they be prepared to give up that revenue for the sake of £50 or even £100 per console, they need to maintain their lead.  

Even if they did go £299 that’s still dearer than Series S but still easily within the realms of selling it as a value proposition over Series S in terms of brand recognition, software library, more powerful, etc. 

They didn’t drop the physical drive so they could save themselves a bit of cash on parts, they did it because digital only means MUCH greater revenue in the long term. 

If you look at current digital sales - estimated at >=60%, then they've already got a huge chunk of that all digital revenue. I don't see themselves putting themselves massively into the red this year to capture slightly more of the holdouts, relatively few of whom are likely to go all digital for the sake of £50-100 savings.

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

If you look at current digital sales - estimated at 50%+ - probably closer to 60%, then they've already got a huge chunk of that all digital revenue. I don't see themselves putting themselves massively into the red this year to capture slightly more of the holdouts, relatively few of whom are likely to go all digital for the sake of £50-100 savings.

They risk losing that revenue to MS if current PS4 owners choose a Series S over a PS5 All Digital. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

They risk losing that revenue to MS if current PS4 owners choose a Series S over a PS5 All Digital. 

Yeah, they do, but outside of the US and UK, Xbox has never been able to outsell Sony at any price point - games still matter the most and European and Eastern markets have always preferred Sony's catalog of games.

I don't think the Series S is as massively tempting as people might think. It doesn't play Sony exclusives and I think people will look at the spec difference between it and the PS5 and probably think the latter is a more exciting piece of hardware.

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, they do, but outside of the US and UK, Xbox has never been able to outsell Sony at any price point - games still matter the most and European and Eastern markets have always preferred Sony's catalog of games.

I don't think the Series S is as massively tempting as people might think. It doesn't play Sony exclusives and I think people will look at the spec difference between it and the PS5 and probably think the latter is a more exciting piece of hardware.

The US and UK are both huge markets so it’s not as if they don’t matter, and MS will be looking at ways of expanding their reach, through All Access deals, through streaming etc. 

The Series S has one aim; to breakdown Sony’s market share through Game Pass. It’s a very, very aggressive move.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, of course it is, but Sony are in an incredibly dominant position at the moment. I think they can quite happily sit back and see how things pan out at launch, rather than take a loss that they potentially don't need to straight out of the gates.

They were in a more dominant position with PS2 but that gave way to lost sales against MS and, more significantly, Nintendo, with the PS3. 

I don’t think they will want to sit back and see how it goes should that fail only to reduce the price anyway and be on the back foot. Why give MS that chance? I think price is all important. 

24 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Talk of these ‘Sony exclusives’ being an actual consideration in the average consumers mind, as if they’re producing quality like Nintendo rather than boring shit which looks pretty, is pretty amusing. 

That's your opinion, of course, but, for my money I'd much rather play one of Sony's exclusives like TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima as they are all produced to a high quality.

That's not for one moment saying that Nintendo games aren't wonderful things but they don't float my boat like they did when I was younger.

48 minutes ago, Stanley said:

PS3 was Sony’s least successful console, and 360 MS’ most successful, it was also their most expensive against a competitor offering two price points, both cheaper than Sony. I don’t think Sony would chance their arm that way again, not when you throw Xbox All Access, Game Pass etc in as well. 

As for them never selling cheap(er) - PS1 was £100 cheaper than Saturn, PS4 was £80 cheaper than Xbox One. 

Ignoring Nintendo, this generation has had 150m sales, last generation had 160m. There’s not going to be a console selling 150m consoles on its own like the PS2 did.

The PS3 also had the minor matter of being on sale at the same time as the Wii. The PS1 and PS2 had a second-life as a cheap option, but the Wii drank that audience before the PS3 could get there. All things considered, ~90 million sales, outselling the direct competitor and getting within 10% of the PS4 sales would be absolutely fine for the PS5. 

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think price is all important. 

I think if they agreed with you, they would have built a product to hit that price point, rather than build an expensive console and then eat an enormous loss on every unit sold. 

Re: Your prior point, the Xbox 360 offered equivalent or better performance than the PS3 at a cheaper price. The Series S doesn’t come close to the PS5 in terms of specs. 

23 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

That's your opinion, of course, but, for my money I'd much rather play one of Sony's exclusives like TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima as they are all produced to a high quality 

it’ll be interesting if the mass market cares about price or Sony exclusives.  Anecdotal but my son has a PS4 for playing with his ps4 owning mates.  They give zero fucks about Sony exclusives.   It’s all COD, FIFA, Fortnite, GTA 5.  Sounds like his mates are ready to continue with a Sony machine unless they shit the bed next gen but I do wonder if they’ll continue that if they’re give them the choice of a £250 console and a £350-£400 console.   None of them talk specs.   It’s all about which friends get which co sole first and then following their friends. 

clearly the exclusives sell well but to what percentage of the Sony user base? 

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think if they agreed with you, they would have built a product to hit that price point, rather than build an expensive console and then eat an enormous loss on every unit sold. 

Re: Your prior point, the Xbox 360 offered equivalent or better performance than the PS3 at a cheaper price. The Series S doesn’t come close to the PS5 in terms of specs. 

Good points, perhaps they were blindsided by Series S. 

Price is gonna be more important to Sony this time around IMO, Nintendo are showing you don’t need power and MS have gamer pass - if the PS5 is much more expensive then I think it’s an easy choice to to MS this gen to play fifa and COD. Sony need the install base to make games the way their studios do to get the Hugh production costs back.

Im pretty set on ditching PS4 for series X, full fat Ps5 would probably need to be £100 less than the series X to make me reconsider on launch - I think MS have pulled a master stroke with the generation ditching stuff and if they get the messaging right we could start to see sales figures from them again ;) 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Has the extent of PS4 support been confirmed? I thought it was select games?

In March they said:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

UPDATE: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

31 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

That's your opinion, of course, but, for my money I'd much rather play one of Sony's exclusives like TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima as they are all produced to a high quality.

Third Person Misery, Third Person jokey murder simulator, third person good game, third person assassins creed knock off.

Doesn't really compare with Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, BoTW, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, does it?

15 minutes ago, footle said:

Third Person Misery, Third Person jokey murder simulator, third person good game, third person assassins creed knock off.

Doesn't really compare with Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, BoTW, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, does it?

Different strokes... Mario Odyssey was sublime. I didn't click with Splatoon 2, don't find Animal Crossing entertaining and got bored of BotW.

The variety of opinions is what makes this hobby great!

3 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Why not play them all!

The Switch is uniquely positioned as a second console precisely because what it offers is broadly unique.

MS Vs PS5 is a more nuanced debate in lots of ways. Game Pass value Vs exclusives. Be interesting to see how that played out.

Second to what? 

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, but seriously, second to what? 

Yeah, but seriously, I didn't mean it was second to anything in something as pathetic as a console rating contest.

I'll reword myself so you that you don't need to be so needlessly offended.  If it helps, I have a full fat switch, a switch lite, a PS4 OG, a PS4 slim, an XBone OG, an XBone S All Digital and a MAME arcade cabinet. I love games more than anyone else in the world, true fax.

The switch is uniquely positioned in the console market to justify its existence alongside either of the other major players. Unique experiences blah blah MS service game pass blah blah PS4 grim dark etc whaddyacallit kthnxbye.