PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

The PS4 Pro is a lot less powerful than the Xbox One X but God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are still probably the best looking games of the generation, to my eyes.

I'm more interested in what this means for them in terms of price, and whether there will be a Series X: Arcade Edition.

Even if there is a fairly big difference, and with Wordwide Studios' output being much better than Microsoft's first party stuff, I don't think Sony have anything as appealing as Game Pass. I barely play games on it, but still really like it.

interesting.  Would be crazy is the rumoured lower spec MS console ends up being same power as Ps5 and the top end console turns out to be some batshit powerful (and expensive) premium thing that not a lot of people buy but allows MS to say "yay we have the most powerful console"

Can't wait to see them both reveal stuff.   Was it Feb around time that Sony announce details?

4 hours ago, David Kenny said:

Can you summarise for people who zoned out after the second paragraph?

If the leak is true (a big if) then the Xbox is more powerful than people predicted and notably more powerful than PS5 in raw numbers. Based on that they can’t see how Xbox Series X won’t be more expensive than PS5. PS5 could be slightly lower powered have similar graphics but still make the ‘magic’ £399 price point. 

5 hours ago, David Kenny said:

Can you summarise for people who zoned out after the second paragraph?

Digital Foundry definitely suffers when it steps outside the video template of having a tech bod balanced out by someone who asks Everyman questions and reframes the worst of the jargon. Even that first paragraph lands like a lead pelican. 

The Oberon test data does confirm that the PS5 will be fully BC with both PS4 and PS4P as it has 2 fallback modes of operation to fully replicate both of those consoles:

The giveaway is the fact that the GPU can be switched to three different modes in order to provide hardware backwards compatibility with PS4 and PS4 Pro. While a 2.0GHz GPU clock is used for what is described as the fully unlocked 'native' or 'Gen2' mode, the processor is also tested in what is referred to as Gen1 and Gen0 modes. The former is explicitly stated as running with 36 compute units, a 911MHz core clock, 218GB/s of memory bandwidth and 64 ROPs - the exact specifications of PlayStation 4 Pro. The latter Gen0 mode cuts the CU and ROP counts in half and runs at 800MHz, a match for the base PS4. The indications are that back-compat is an integral part of the silicon, which in turn raises some interesting questions about the makeup of the Navi GPU and the extent to which older GCN compatibility may be baked into the design.

21 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Repeat after me. 'It's all about the games, graphics don't matter'.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-playstation-5-xbox-series-x-spec-leak-analysed

Apart from at launch when we had people buying the PS4 because it was the most powerful and it had shite launch titles.

When it comes to the general public, you're wanting both the best graphics and the best games. 

20 minutes ago, mushashi said:

The Oberon test data does confirm that the PS5 will be fully BC with both PS4 and PS4P as it has 2 fallback modes of operation to fully replicate both of those consoles:

A shame that means older games wont be able to look/run better due to the better hardware.

26 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

A shame that means older games wont be able to look/run better due to the better hardware.

They eventually unlocked boost mode on the PS4P, it's not unfeasible to do exactly the same on the PS5, with the same disclaimer about potential problems. With the way some modern games are coded, this would give a superior experience than what was possible on the original target hardware.

34 minutes ago, mushashi said:

They eventually unlocked boost mode on the PS4P, it's not unfeasible to do exactly the same on the PS5, with the same disclaimer about potential problems. With the way some modern games are coded, this would give a superior experience than what was possible on the original target hardware.

the what, with the what?

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

Apart from at launch when we had people buying the PS4 because it was the most powerful and it had shite launch titles.

Resogun was brilliant and free. 

£349 for the most powerful next gen consoles and a few free PS+ games was a hell of an offer. As crap as the PS4 launch hardware was, at least it mostly ran games in HD. 

And it’s not like Ryse and Forza 5 were setting a high bar. 

5 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Boost mode. You access it from the PS4 front end - just check its box - and it lumps the extra oomph into unpatched stuff. Essential for trips to Yharnam.

I got my PS4 late last year, so I’ve always had boost mode. Didn’t realise it wasn’t available at (pro) launch... 

2 hours ago, mushashi said:

Problem being boost mode has caused issues on some games.  

I like the Sony approach to BC for Ps4/Ps4Pro as it means there should be zero issues playing those but I'm less confident they'll have decent BC for anything else.  Hopefully they've worked more on their Ps2 eumulator.   I'll be amazed (and very happy) if they get PS3 BC sorted. I have loads of digital stuff ready to be played again. 

At least with both consoles we'll have stuff to play at launch that's really good through BC.   And on streaming too this time round.

6 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Problem being boost mode has caused issues on some games.  

I like the Sony approach to BC for Ps4/Ps4Pro as it means there should be zero issues playing those but I'm less confident they'll have decent BC for anything else.  Hopefully they've worked more on their Ps2 eumulator.   I'll be amazed (and very happy) if they get PS3 BC sorted. I have loads of digital stuff ready to be played again. 

That's why it wasn't available at launch and Mark Cerny wasn't in favour of it at the time, it does indeed break compatibility with some software :)

Earlier gen emulation isn't really a technical problem, more of a CBA question. Their enhanced PSP emulator for the PS4 got barely used. They certainly haven't made any official promises about earlier gen support either so any disappoint if it doesn't happen won't be caused by Sony talking about it.

From the specs I’ve see, Xbox will have a slightly faster processor and PS4 will have slightly more  RAM.

My money being on PS5 being the superior machine due to Sony Special Sauce.

MS just throw numbers without thinking about the final product while Sony have a bit of strategy behind them.

4 minutes ago, probotector said:

From the specs I’ve see, Xbox will have a slightly faster processor and PS4 will have slightly more  RAM.

MS just throw numbers without thinking about the final product while Sony have a bit of strategy behind them.

I'd like to believe that Sony have special sauce but what got them the better hardware last gen was spending the hardware budget on a better GPU rather than a kinect. Other than that the machines were more or less the same 

The Ps4Pro and Xbox One X kind of show which company at the moment has the better handle on hardware and thermals.  Hopefully Sony put together something a little cooler for Ps5.  Games wise they have no worries. 

4 minutes ago, probotector said:

what was the special sauce in the technically superior ps4? Because to my memory they both used similar SoC tech and Sony paid for a better GPU and faster ram both of which are really "throwing numbers".

The last time they used special sauce was Cell processors in PS3. This time they are both going for similar AMD hardware again I think.

AMD aren’t going to give them wildly different products just like last time.

PS4P and XBOXX showed to me that MS have little strategic insight into gaming. Their main strategy has always been throw everything at the kitchen sink, fuck the costs.

Sony on the other hand have always taken a Nintendo like approach.

The PS5 will not only be the superior machine but it will have enough hardware innovation to make devs and tech types swoon, just like the PS4.

It will also make Sony money and will scalable over time. 

M$ have no chance against a fully operational, motivated and well led Sony. Corby has the finger on the pulse, I’m not sure who Microsoft have that is on his level.