PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

22 minutes ago, Sell73Out said:

Has anyone heard from shopto regarding the pre-register/conversion to pre-order?

Last date to convert to a pre-order was yesterday, but still haven’t heard if it’s guaranteed day one or what :unsure::doh:

Nope nothing yet, With Amazon releasing more orders today. I'm assuming my order with them is safe so will cancel shopto.

Regarding PS5 Consoles and Accessories:

• Clicking confirm does not guarantee stock on day one. We will inform you via email when we receive the confirmation of allocation from Sony.
• You have until 24/09/2020 to click CONFIRM PRE-ORDER or the registered interest will be deleted.
• This item is strictly ONE PER CUSTOMER AND HOUSEHOLD.
• Please, DO NOT PRE-PAY for your Registered Interest/Pre-Order just yet. Paying for the item now will not guarantee to get the PlayStation 5 on day one.

@Sell73Out I think the date for yesterday was just for people to confrim their interest.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Honestly I just want to lie on my bed looking at glossy photos of both systems and soaking up pointless details about the system menus in Gamesmaster pull-puts.

Polygon's reviews last time around had that feel to them. Hope they do those again.

https://www.polygon.com/a/ps4-review/ps4-review/

The Xbone one isn't loading for some reason.

Real Official Dreamcast Magazine vibes.

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

Regarding PS5 Consoles and Accessories:

• Clicking confirm does not guarantee stock on day one. We will inform you via email when we receive the confirmation of allocation from Sony.
• You have until 24/09/2020 to click CONFIRM PRE-ORDER or the registered interest will be deleted.
• This item is strictly ONE PER CUSTOMER AND HOUSEHOLD.
• Please, DO NOT PRE-PAY for your Registered Interest/Pre-Order just yet. Paying for the item now will not guarantee to get the PlayStation 5 on day one.

@Sell73Out I think the date for yesterday was just for people to confrim their interest.

I cancelled mine, I don’t trust them.

I have 2 orders with game and smyth’s. I might have one on launch day to sell for cost price as slowly one by one people at work are finding pre orders. Many people are waiting till next year actually. 

5 hours ago, Sell73Out said:

Has anyone heard from shopto regarding the pre-register/conversion to pre-order?

Last date to convert to a pre-order was yesterday, but still haven’t heard if it’s guaranteed day one or what :unsure::doh:

I messaged them this morning, they said people would start to hear in the next couple of days.

I managed to get in on Curry's as well, that was my preference rather than Very, £5 deposit paid and my pre order ref emailed through, once they confirm i'm getting on for release date I'll offer the Very orders out to friends/mukkers or cancel them.

In total I've got a Standard PS5 ordered at Very, a Digital PS5 at Very and a Digital PS5 at Currys.

27 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I managed to get in on Curry's as well, that was my preference rather than Very, £5 deposit paid and my pre order ref emailed through, once they confirm i'm getting on for release date I'll offer the Very orders out to friends/mukkers or cancel them.

In total I've got a Standard PS5 ordered at Very, a Digital PS5 at Very and a Digital PS5 at Currys.

I thought I was being greedy with 2 ;) will.be offering mine out once I have one in hand ;)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-25-naughty-dog-reveals-the-last-of-us-board-game-free-ps4-theme-and-more

Do we think there will be any lou2 ps5 upgrade news tomorrow? Hoping for a free and meaty patch, can I dream of 60fps ... Cynical me sees Spiderman shenanigans.

11 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

I managed to just pop on Amazon on the morning of the launch and order a disc version. Easy as you please.

I must have gotten super lucky.

Yeah me too. Had it in the basket and was about to check out but then panicked that they’d take the cash straight away. By the time I found out they wouldn’t it’d gone. Ho-hum.

I’ve been thinking I’d pick up an eventual slim PS5, but a quick Google suggests it was 3 years for both the PS4 slim and One S remodels. With both God of War and Horizon coming next year, I may have to come to terms with allowing The Behemoth into my home.

I’m a bit surprised at how quiet they’ve been since the last event. I was hoping the info would keep coming now. 

37 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m a bit surprised at how quiet they’ve been since the last event. I was hoping the info would keep coming now. 

I agree. I was expecting the pre-orders to be the beginning of the comms campaign to get everyone hyped about it ramping up to launch and building that expectation and desirability, but it has sort of fizzled out.

Microsoft have - yet again - not really done anything noteworthy but with just the odd tweet/blog/engagement here and there have kept a bit of momentum. I mean look at the threads on here, there has been steady trickle of chat on the Xbox one whereas this one has largely been people either pissed off about pre-order nightmares, or pissed off about game prices. We should all be frothing about how amazing it's going to be playing on the thing by now and getting excited about new features, etc...

10 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I agree. I was expecting the pre-orders to be the beginning of the comms campaign to get everyone hyped about it ramping up to launch and building that expectation and desirability, but it has sort of fizzled out.

Microsoft have - yet again - not really done anything noteworthy but with just the odd tweet/blog/engagement here and there have kept a bit of momentum. I mean look at the threads on here, there has been steady trickle of chat on the Xbox one whereas this one has largely been people either pissed off about pre-order nightmares, or pissed off about game prices. We should all be frothing about how amazing it's going to be playing on the thing by now and getting excited about new features, etc...

Yeah, it’s a bit odd. It feels like we’ve been saying “with only x months to go until launch, the info can’t be far off.”

But we’re like 6 weeks from launch and still haven’t seen so much as a boot screen or UI. We don’t know how their equivalent of quick resume is going to work (will it support swapping between 5 games as on Xbox?). Nothing that’s massively important, but it helps build excitement about a new generation. 

Just now, Ferine said:

The PS5 is selling out everywhere within minutes of stock being available. Given that, there's not much point in Sony putting all their cards on the table when they can hold on to them for closer to launch.

When all the stock is sold anyway, what’s the point in holding this kind of stuff back? Is showing someone a boot screen a week before launch suddenly going to convince someone to preorder a console that’s already sold out?

Maybe their quick resume doesn’t support as many games, or something. 

Maybe the absence of any UI or boot details is so that people don’t cancel their pre-orders when they see how basic it is compared to Xbox?

I’m not trying to be abrasive or anything, I just wonder whether the PS5 interface and usability is going to be any better than PS4. I mean at the moment it’s actually impossible to sign into the PlayStation store on my phone so I’m not filled with confidence. 

15 minutes ago, Ferine said:

The PS5 is selling out everywhere within minutes of stock being available. Given that, there's not much point in Sony putting all their cards on the table when they can hold on to them for closer to launch.

They dont even need to hold them closer to launch. There’s precisely no need for them to release info at all.

14 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

When all the stock is sold anyway, what’s the point in holding this kind of stuff back? Is showing someone a boot screen a week before launch suddenly going to convince someone to preorder a console that’s already sold out?

Maybe their quick resume doesn’t support as many games, or something. 

The news cycle is absurdly short these days. By holding on to a bunch of minor stories – hardware teardown, OS reveal, Create button functions, etc – you can make sure you have a stream of daily headlines stored up leading into the launch. Excitement built now is somewhat wasted, better to save it for when it comes time for people to actually hand over their cash.

To be clear, I'd also like that information now. I can just understand why a platform holder might withhold it.

As for quick resume, I suspect you'll only be able to properly 'suspend' a single game, like with PS4. Reserving a bunch of SSD space to support multiple games doesn't seem sensible when booting them 'cold' should only take a few seconds anyway.

And they have that deep links thing where you can access particular parts of the game (presumably for most games that will include continuing from your last save) directly from the dashboard. Not as ideal but it's an option that would work for most people. (At least, excluding games with shit checkpointing.)

I don't know that I'd rule out save states at this stage but Sony have options. They were clearly quite pleased with the OS when they were talking about it earlier in the year so I doubt it'll have just been thrown together.

41 minutes ago, footle said:

spacer.png

Oh yeah, apart from the $7.5billion acquisition 

I'm sure you know what I mean though. When it comes down to actual product information all they have basically done is equally mess up pre-orders/finance, had a sly dig at Spider-man via smart delivery and let some people hold a pad that is 99% identical to the current one. It's hardly groundbreaking stuff but it would appear that is still enough to create a bit of noise against what is effectively a void with a £70 price tag.  

Come on Sony, I'm really excited about this, stop trying to ruin it for me.

22 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Maybe the absence of any UI or boot details is so that people don’t cancel their pre-orders when they see how basic it is compared to Xbox?

I’m not trying to be abrasive or anything, I just wonder whether the PS5 interface and usability is going to be any better than PS4. I mean at the moment it’s actually impossible to sign into the PlayStation store on my phone so I’m not filled with confidence. 

Interesting. I've always quite liked the PS4 UI simplicity (the website store is crap though). I don't dislike the Xbox one particularly (and it has improved over time substantially) but I always find it just a bit cluttered and messy. I'd be happy if it loaded with just a bunch of tiles of the games you have installed and a button to go to GamePass to download more, then chuck all the rest of it away somewhere else unless you want it.

I do think the Xbox/Game Pass apps are decent though, much better than the alternative.