PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

Yeah I do agree with you that the simplicity of the PS4 interface is a good thing and it’s easier to use than the Xbox one for sure. I’m more interested in the new features discussed above like quick loading and suspension. An updated store would be great too. 

12 hours ago, Ferine said:

The news cycle is absurdly short these days. By holding on to a bunch of minor stories – hardware teardown, OS reveal, Create button functions, etc – you can make sure you have a stream of daily headlines stored up leading into the launch. Excitement built now is somewhat wasted, better to save it for when it comes time for people to actually hand over their cash.

Maybe but I guess the question is who are you trying to hype now? If you’ve no stock yourself on launch day the war is simply to prevent people preordering the other guys console and wait for yours. Hence I’m surprised they didn’t try to find something to push out as Ms S led up to preorders opening.

1 minute ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Judging by the concerns voiced in the Xbox thread, it's a fair comment that he's made. MS need to get some proper marketing muscle behind the S to ensure the masses don't think it's a crippled console.

17 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Maybe but I guess the question is who are you trying to hype now? If you’ve no stock yourself on launch day the war is simply to prevent people preordering the other guys console and wait for yours. Hence I’m surprised they didn’t try to find something to push out as Ms S led up to preorders opening.

It's not about trying to hype the now, it's about ensuring those who have pre-ordered keep those orders in, and FOMO is about the most powerful marketing tool you have, so you need to keep that excitement high.

What examples is he talking about? The only instance of a lower spec, lower priced console that I can think of is the Xbox 360 Arcade edition which worked fine for people and was partly responsible for giving them such a massive headache at the start of the PS3’s life. You know, when they literally started ripping hardware out of the thing to get the price down?

Even still, if you really care about power, the Series X costs the same as a standard PS5 and is more powerful. 

12 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

Yeah I do agree with you that the simplicity of the PS4 interface is a good thing and it’s easier to use than the Xbox one for sure. I’m more interested in the new features discussed above like quick loading and suspension. An updated store would be great too. 

I have to agree with the "keep it simple stupid" mantra. The PS4 GUI was nice and simple but even in its current state I feel like there is unnecessary complications. The Switch is probably my favourite GUI in a recent console. So simple, clean and snappy. They only thing it misses for me is being able to access the store without waiting for it to "log in" for you. PSplus annoys me in the same way. 

Don't have an Xbox so not sure how switch it is to get into digital stores.

24 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What examples is he talking about? The only instance of a lower spec, lower priced console that I can think of is the Xbox 360 Arcade edition which worked fine for people and was partly responsible for giving them such a massive headache at the start of the PS3’s life. You know, when they literally started ripping hardware out of the thing to get the price down?

Even still, if you really care about power, the Series X costs the same as a standard PS5 and is more powerful. 

What's bizzarre to me is they have both already been doing this for a few years with the mid-gen machines, pro and one x.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

It takes about 5 seconds to get into the Switch store... Does it need to be faster? Can’t even drink a mouthful of tea and put the mug back down in that time.

Main issue is how when you resume it, it opens, then says there's been a connection issue, then you have to load into it again.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

@iknowgungfu
It takes about 5 seconds to get into the Switch store... Does it need to be faster? Can’t even drink a mouthful of tea and put the mug back down in that time.

There's a.lways room for improvements. It is a minor niggle but it does slightly detract from the general slick feel of everything else.  It might sound picky but that's often a driver of innovations. Much like the Steve Jobs myth about throwing an iPod prototype into a fish tank to demonstrate air inside - implying there is potential to make it smaller. 

2 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

So Godfall looks to be an exclusive launch title and from the short gameplay vids I have seen looks quite impressive. A melee based Destiny if I had to describe it... but nobody seems to be giving a fuck about it. 

What am I missing?

There's a number of very similar F2P games which already exist, see Black Desert, Bless Unleashed et al. It looks very shiny but nothing new. 

1 minute ago, Marlew said:

There's a number of very similar F2P games which already exist, see Black Desert, Bless Unleashed et al. It looks very shiny but nothing new. 

Warframe was one I played a little but never got hooked. But the thinking is the premium price point for this is unjustified given the quality of F2P variants? Makes sense.

Can't find any footage of it running with less than 2 months til launch. I wonder what the store will be like, with close to full BC on PS4 games would assume they'd just bring the same store across? There's a fair few recent games I'd like to pick up as I don't have the older one, Samurai Jack comes to mind. I don't think that drive is big enough and would hope there's some sort of expansion due like the Xbox has.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Main issue is how when you resume it, it opens, then says there's been a connection issue, then you have to load into it again.

Do you mean if you put the console to sleep while you've got the store open? I don't think I've ever done that so wasn't aware it was a problem. I just use the store, then return to the main menu and either play something or sleep it from there.

This is my list of PS4 games to pick up when it's out. Sure I've missed loads but will give me something to do beyond the limited launch games:

Control

Final fantasy 7

Ghost of Tsushima

God of war

Horizon zero dawn

Hotshot Racing

Neir

Red dead 2

Resi 2 remake

Samurai jack

Shadow of the Colossus

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

This is my list of PS4 games to pick up when it's out. Sure I've missed loads but will give me something to do beyond the limited launch games:

Control

Final fantasy 7

Ghost of Tsushima

God of war

Horizon zero dawn

Hotshot Racing

Neir

Red dead 2

Resi 2 remake

Samurai jack

Shadow of the Colossus

That lot will keep you going for a few months!

1 minute ago, teddymeow said:

That lot will keep you going for a few months!

Yeah I hope so! It did have the Spidey game on there but I gave up on that after I first played it as the controls just didn't click but I really want to give it another go the Ultimate Mile is my launch game of choice. I found the last 2 Ass. Creed games really boring so I'm not too keen to jump into the viking one.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Can't find any footage of it running with less than 2 months til launch. I wonder what the store will be like, with close to full BC on PS4 games would assume they'd just bring the same store across? There's a fair few recent games I'd like to pick up as I don't have the older one, Samurai Jack comes to mind. I don't think that drive is big enough and would hope there's some sort of expansion due like the Xbox has.

Amazon prime day is in a couple of weeks. Just pick up a large external usb 3.0 disk for your PS4 backwards compatibility needs.

Have people preordered their games from the same place as their consoles? I’m only after Demon’s Souls for launch and might try shop around for some of those doss wee sites that sell games for £2.07 cheaper and all that. It’d be frustrating if one or the other of the console and game arrived on separate days though, right? Excruciating in fact.