PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

29 minutes ago, The Disco said:

And I hope the price of multi terrabyte NVMe drives comes down significantly fairly soon after launch or early next year...  Around £200 per TB is a little steep at the moment, compared to about £22 per TB for the 4TB Seagate 2.5" HDD I got for the PS4 last year.

It’s going to be twelve to twenty four months unless there’s specific ones using the same controller approach.

We’re not talking about the bargain bucket commodity SDDs here: the example posted in the thread - which is the only one that comes close - hasn’t even got wide availability yet, and is well over £200. Last years’s Sabrent doesn’t meet the performance requirements and remains £150-170: pretty much where it launched.

58 minutes ago, choddo said:

It’s ok I think. Quiet. Image quality with HDR10 is very nice.

No one knows if the Series X beast that will never fit under the TV anyway monolith will do DV as far as I know. All speculation.

There's this, but it specifies gaming. 

And this, that specifies video apps. So if you stream your films you'll be OK. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/10/03/microsoft-brings-dolby-vision-to-xbox-dolby-vision-on-the-xbox-explained/

I wonder if you'll be able to buy a license for discs, since that's the only missing part. I assume that the sales of discs are so low now that they expect the drive to scarcely be used for movies so they don't want to pay for a license for every machine. 

21 minutes ago, footle said:

DV for games isn’t a thing. Unless we see a low lag mode, you’ll need to replace your tv.

I like the idea of a console that’s basically a massive copper heatsink. Easily the best PR Sony have done for a while.

I was never talking about DV for games, I was referring the UHD disc playback. :)

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I have a relative cheapo 4k hdr tv, and dolby vision definitely looks better than all the other formats of hdr on it ( 10+ is good too but only seems to be on the built in prime app). I'm assuming the dynamic metadata means it can make up for that tvs lack of brightness and dynamic range more than the hdr formats the current consoles use. Definitely worth having but probably of less use if you have an LG oled etc. 

Yes, I find dynamic HDR like DV and HDR10+ is far better than the static formats on my TV that only has 450 nits max brightness. With static metadata the mostly-dark scenes are almost illegible because the TV’s crunching everything down so far.

DV for games is certainly, as Wahwah points out, something MS have promised. But maybe not the higher paced games? It would seem to need more authorship to be effective. I don't understand how that interacts with the HGIG stuff I thought was the gaming thing where it establishes the capability of the screen first.

Yeah I wasn't too fussed about DV when I had a TV that couldn't do it, but having seen the Mandalorian with it, there's a distinct improvement. The streaming apps on the one X support it.

Looks like a dedicated player might be on the cards.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

DV for games is certainly, as Wahwah points out, something MS have promised. But maybe not the higher paced games? It would seem to need more authorship to be effective. I don't understand how that interacts with the HGIG stuff I thought was the gaming thing where it establishes the capability of the screen first.

I'd have thought it could just auto-calculate an optimal gamma curve based on the darkest & brightest pixels on the screen, and maybe percentage - so one candle wouldn't overload a dark scene. Maybe.

42 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

The key bit is low latency tv support in that metadata mode... it was supported, on PC, in mass effect andromeda, and looked significantly better. Unfortunately it also introduced loads of display lag (or had to be run in 4K on my OLED B6 to make it work, or both) which made it a less than great experience.

you need the tv support too.

1 hour ago, footle said:

DV for games isn’t a thing.

Some DICE games on PC already support DV.

Understood that DV takeup among game developers is low overall for now, though hopefully it will improve - certainly some of Xbox Game Studios' titles will take advantage?

10 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Understood that DV takeup among game developers is low overall for now, though hopefully it will improve - certainly some of Xbox Game Studios' titles will take advantage?

The second sentence in my post is as important as the first.

19 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I suspect the Ai-based auto HDR thing xbox adds to non-hdr games (including backwards compatible all the way back to original xbox apparently) will use/support DV. But the DV support isn't going to be in at launch, added next year. 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I suspect the Ai-based auto HDR thing xbox adds to non-hdr games (including backwards compatible all the way back to original xbox apparently) will use/support DV. But the DV support isn't going to be in at launch, added next year. 

I love that MS have done this it's an exceptional approach to BC. I hope this causes Sony to up their game on BC but I doubt it will ever be as good as MS they've spent years building out the tech to support multiple gens and it really is impressive.

I hope that the UHD drive supports DV for movies but I am prepared for disappointment. 

Yeah the Auto HDR thing sounds very appealing. That being said if it’s HDR in name only then I’m not so interested.

HDR is a strange thing sometimes. Games like ‘Death Stranding and Horizon look so much better with it but a bunch of other games give very lacklustre results.

The last few pages of this have just reminded me of all the shite “limited edition” Xbox 360 faceplates that people were intermittently paying a comparative fortune for. 

What a load of shite they were.

EDIT: They’re still paying a fortune. One went for £100 in the last week! And someone paid £58 for a Virgin Megastore one.

Bloody hell. 

6 hours ago, Rev said:

The last few pages of this have just reminded me of all the shite “limited edition” Xbox 360 faceplates that people were intermittently paying a comparative fortune for. 

What a load of shite they were.

EDIT: They’re still paying a fortune. One went for £100 in the last week! And someone paid £58 for a Virgin Megastore one.

Bloody hell. 

They still sell? Who on earth is buying that shite?

Although the Sony ones do seem like a very good idea..

18 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

When collecting as an investment, always think “is this some stupid shite nobody asked for and only I am stupid enough to buy”.

Still regret recycling my Odama box.

I remember my mate ragging on me specifically over the Fallout New Vegas special edition I got. Think the mint, unopened deck of cards in it are worth about £60 on their own, all the various bits add up to about £250.

Never throw anything out ever.

7 minutes ago, df0 said:

But do you intend on selling it?

And that's the key bit with these things :D I still have every game I ever bought, so I was very excited when I found out my good as new (unscratched and unsniffed!) NTSC Earthbound was worth 700 dollars or something crazy. Then I realized that I don't want to sell it anyway, so it might as well be worth 5 bucks. 

Exactly.

Why not sell it? It's not an investment like fine art, it's a videogame you'll probably never ever play. Sell it, especially when you can get 700 dollar for it.

I have/had copies of like Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Saga etc in perfect condition and for years and years I kept them out of some sort of "I can not sell these, they are rare". I'm not a collector at all, so they were just random rare games. Basically I kept them so I could say "yeah, I have those games 8-)".

Nobody cared but me. Until I stopped caring.

Same thing with the Sega Multi-Mega I still have. It's back in an attic in The Netherlands, and I should really make time selling that thing. I've not used it in like 15 years and is complete with box, cables and games.