PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

PlayStation support: Backward compatibility: PlayStation®4 games playable on PlayStation®5

The PS5™ console is backward compatible with the overwhelming majority of PS4™ games. That means an amazing collection of thousands of PS4 games can be played on your PS5 console.

PS4 games playable on PS5 consoles
The overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles. 

Select PS4 games will benefit from the PS5 console’s Game Boost, which may make PS4 games run with a higher or smoother frame rate. 

Although many PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, some functionalities that were available on the PS4 console may not be available on PS5 consoles. In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles.

Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.

Please note, playing PS VR games on a PS5 console requires a PlayStation VR headset, a PS camera (sold separately from PS5 console) and a PS camera adaptor (no purchase required). 

Always update your PS5 console to the latest version of the system software.

PS4 only games
While the majority of PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, below is a list of PS4 games that are playable on PS4 only. On PlayStation™Store, PS4 games that are not playable on the PS5 console will be marked with ‘Playable on: PS4 only’.

PS4 only games:
DWVR
Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner

Playing PS4 game discs on a PS5 console with a disc drive

Insert the PS4 game disc. You may need to download an update.

Select the game hub from your Games home.

You will need to keep the disc inserted each time to play the game.

PS4 game discs can’t be used with the PlayStation®5 Digital Edition. 

Transfer digital games from a PS4 console to a PS5 console

You can transfer digital games and saved data from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using WiFi data transfer. 

You can access PS4 games on a PS5 console directly from a PS5 extended storage drive. 

Install a PS4 digital game on a PS5 console

Select game library from your Games home.

Select the game you want to play.

If you haven't already downloaded the game, select Download.

The game will install automatically. Depending on the game, you may have the option to copy and play a portion of the game right away.

A bit of weirdnesses in there for cameras, which might need some parsing for any PSVR users who'd just assumed they'd get the new camera.

But the list of known not working games is pretty short, as per your quote:

PS4 only games
While the majority of PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, below is a list of PS4 games that are playable on PS4 only. On PlayStation™Store, PS4 games that are not playable on the PS5 console will be marked with ‘Playable on: PS4 only’.

PS4 only games:

• DWVR
  • Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
  • TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
  • Just Deal With It!
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
  • Robinson: The Journey
  • We Sing
  • Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
  • Shadwen
  • Joe's Diner

Please note, playing PS VR games on a PS5 console requires a PlayStation VR headset, a PS camera (sold separately from PS5 console) and a PS camera adaptor (no purchase required). 

So that last one is presumably this free adaptor that they haven't yet told us how to order it. And also

The HD Camera is not compatible with PS4 games – please connect a PlayStation Camera via a PlayStation®Camera adaptor.

So there's no point, at least at launch, for anyone to buy the new PS5 camera?

Also:

HDR is automatically switched on for PS5 consoles. To turn off HDR, go to Settings > Screen and Video > Video Output > HDR and select SDR.

PS5 consoles do not support the PS4 Second Screen app or game companion apps.

I don't know what the first one means for how PS4 games use colour and contrast on PS5.

9 minutes ago, SeanR said:

does it come with the console, or..?

[edit]

holy shit, even the fucking PS5 CAMERA is ugly!!!

image.thumb.png.99df543cb1d77b1c9466a8d27edd5376.png

Doesn't look as if you can mount it on top of your screen as you could do with the previous camera. Having said that, I'll take a minor inconvenience if the PSVR headset is wireless.

Just image searched and it does look like it can be mounted.

image.thumb.png.61b8e2da56680ce93070f8014b52ba4d.png

Edited by sofasurfer

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Oh for the days of you proudly posing with an Xbox controller. 

Oh for the days of you not trolling every PlaysStation thread all day long. Stick to the Xbox threads you fucking loser.

In other news, these are the only PS4 games that don’t work on PS5:

PS4 only games:
DWVR
Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner

From https://support.playstation.com/s/article/backward-compatibility?language=en_US&lan=

7 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Oh for the days of you not trolling every PlaysStation thread all day long.

Don’t go down this route again mate. This is the second dig in as many days now.

Calling me ‘a fucking loser’ now eh? Well done.

33 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

So there's no point, at least at launch, for anyone to buy the new PS5 camera?

Can't you use it for some sort of streaming stuff?  I think you could use the PS4 one for that.

You could also use the PS4 camera for face recognition to log in, and as a microphone for online chat, and asking the Playstation to do nothing whilst you scream supposed voice commands at it.

So yeah, agreed, no point :)

You can access PS4 games on a PS5 console directly from a PS5 extended storage drive. 

This is quite weirdly worded. Is the suggestion here that you can't just take an external USB drive that is plugged into your PS4 and plug it into the PS5? Or is that what it is saying and it's just badly phrased.

Just now, metallicfrodo said:

This is quite weirdly worded. Is the suggestion here that you can't just take an external USB drive that is plugged into your PS4 and plug it into the PS5? Or is that what it is saying and it's just badly phrased.

I interpret it as the drive would be formatted specifically for PS5, which seems annoying and a pretty typically 'Sony' move if it is the case.

...please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.

Not that I'm surprised, but that doesn't sound quite as slick/confident arrangement as Microsoft does it :huh: Still the overall list of non-compatible games is incredibly short, just sounds like it might be a bit trial and error how good they are.

This sounds quite good though...

"You can transfer digital games and saved data from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using WiFi data transfer."

I don't have an external drive so being able to ping over my already downloaded HZD install would be good. I had expected to eat up my broadband for a few days redownloading stuff.

Just now, FiveFootNinja said:

Not that I'm surprised, but that doesn't sound quite as slick/confident arrangement as Microsoft does it :huh:

Sony are always hyper cautious with this kind of messaging. It's like Boost Mode on PS4 Pro, which you'd think was some kind of highly experimental feature given the caveats around it yet I can't recall a single game it actually broke.

8 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Sony are always hyper cautious with this kind of messaging. It's like Boost Mode on PS4 Pro, which you'd think was some kind of highly experimental feature given the caveats around it yet I can't recall a single game it actually broke.

Ah, good to know. OG PS4 user here so not had any experience of those enhancements.

19 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I interpret it as the drive would be formatted specifically for PS5, which seems annoying and a pretty typically 'Sony' move if it is the case.

20 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Given the context - "Transfer digital games from a PS4 console to a PS5 console" - and that the next section is titled "Install a PS4 digital game on a PS5 console", it certainly reads to me that you unplug your PS4 drive and plug it into your PS5. Because otherwise the suggestion is you get a PS5 formatted drive, plug it into your PS4, copy across from your PS4 to that drive, and then plug it into your PS5.

That seems like an utterly bizarre reading.

17 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Right, so we can't get saves from the cloud or USB drive? 

It doesn't say that.

That has to be wrong/poorly worded. Surely you can just redownload PSN games or install old games from disc (assuming you have the disc model) and then just retrieve your save from the cloud. If they expect you to have two consoles running side by side at once to do what should be simple shit like that then it’s Nintendo levels of backwards.

23 minutes ago, Harsin said:

That has to be wrong/poorly worded. Surely you can just redownload PSN games or install old games from disc (assuming you have the disc model) and then just retrieve your save from the cloud. If they expect you to have two consoles running side by side at once to do what should be simple shit like that then it’s Nintendo levels of backwards.

It's just a support page that's mainly focused on how to play PS4 games. The save game process is only mentioned in passing in one bullet point. Reading into the absence of information is only going to result in outrage.

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

lots of horrible floaty yoshi-jumps in that video :( 

As if you thought this will be anything other than mediocre shite like anything before it!

29 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Nintendo allow you to download both games and saves, you don’t need any side by side action on the Switch...

The external hdd thing could be a pita, I’m pretty sure but could be wrong that when I moved from a std PS4 to a pro the hdd that was plugged into the PS4 was not recognised and I had to wipe and start again?