PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

The external hdd thing could be a pita, I’m pretty sure but could be wrong that when I moved from a std PS4 to a pro the hdd that was plugged into the PS4 was not recognised and I had to wipe and start again?

So you had to download all the games that were on there again after you’d formatted it? Sort of defeats the object a bit.

You can't transfer an internal HDD from one PS4 to another without formatting it, but external drives, as far as I know, are fine. I think, as Pelekophoros suggests, looking for the gaps in a cursory support article is likely to find gaps. It probably doesn't accurately describe full limits of the system.

42 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

It states this in the official blog post about save file transfers:

How do PS4 game transfers and game saves work between the two consoles?

You can transfer digital games, game data, and game saves from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using LAN cables, or by connecting wirelessly (WiFi). If you’ve already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.

FUD buster... Thanks :)

I think the difference is that Microsoft explicitly tell you which games do work via backwards compatibility and have done all that work on improving resolution / frame rate due to increased horsepower.

Sony almost seem to have the approach of "well, it boots, so, erm, that'll do..."

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

You can't transfer an internal HDD from one PS4 to another without formatting it, but external drives, as far as I know, are fine. I think, as Pelekophoros suggests, looking for the gaps in a cursory support article is likely to find gaps. It probably doesn't accurately describe full limits of the system.

Ahh that could have been it, now you’ve said it that makes sense - was an odd process needing to download something to a usb stick etc and maybe I bought the external hdd to avoid having to download everything when upgrading the internal hdd!

Seven years is a long time to remember things properly!! 

25 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I think the difference is that Microsoft explicitly tell you which games do work via backwards compatibility and have done all that work on improving resolution / frame rate due to increased horsepower.

Sony almost seem to have the approach of "well, it boots, so, erm, that'll do..."

Only for the old BC model (i.e. pre-One titles) where work was required.

For One titles they’ve just basically said they all work on Series.

Do we thing the list of PS4 Only games as really the complete incompatible list? Just wondering if this was more of a licensing thing.

The compatibility section talks about uses making sure they’re happy with the experience before spending money.I don’t think “not working on PS5” is actually going to mean won’t boot, but rather that some subtlety of the old hardware used by a game means it has issues on PS5 (I.e poor frame rate, or slow texture loading or whatever).

4 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

What’s the source for this? I’d love to see a list of what improvements other games are getting too. 

Taken from this tweet from Sucker Punch official account:

Text from the tweet:

'PS5 owners playing with Game Boost will see an extra option to allow frame rates up to 60FPS, and while loading speeds on the PS4 are already great, just wait until you see them on the PS5!'

16 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Taken from this tweet from Sucker Punch official account:

Text from the tweet:

'PS5 owners playing with Game Boost will see an extra option to allow frame rates up to 60FPS, and while loading speeds on the PS4 are already great, just wait until you see them on the PS5!'

Awesome, I haven’t played it yet but will probably wait till I can get hold of a PS5 now. It’ll be like a launch game for me. 

If you’ve already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.

just to be clear. Get a crusty old external drive and plug it into the PS4. Stick a shit tonne of gamzzz on it then when the PS5 turns up just plug it into that and don’t worry about day one downloads for 100s of gigs?

Will they run off the drive?

7 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

All Naughty Dog have tweeted is their games work on PS5, which by omission we can assume means they're locked to 30fps otherwise they would have announced it like Sucker Punch.

Well, I'm sure a version of The Last of Us 2 will run at 60fps, released next year for £70. 

All the BC news from the Xbox camp is excellent, I hope Sony have something similar up their sleeves. 

Fast loading times & ability to use the extra processing power.. please Sony? If we could get some positive news I would start looking for a preorder opportunity, the load times on the PS4 really drag.