PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

11 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Well, I'm sure a version of The Last of Us 2 will run at 60fps, released next year for £70. 

Yeah but taking a PS3 game and converting it to PS4 wasn’t just a simple upgrade. I find it really odd that people expected it to be free.

1 minute ago, AlexM said:

All the BC news from the Xbox camp is excellent, I hope Sony have something similar up their sleeves. 

Fast loading times & ability to use the extra processing power.. please Sony? If we could get some positive news I would start looking for a preorder opportunity, the load times on the PS4 really drag. 

I don’t see why PS4 games running on Ps5 from its SSD wouldn’t see that same improvements Microsoft have shown for One games launching from the X SSD. The extra horsepower mostly just comes down to whether the original game had a locked or capped frame rate. Point being MS have mostly just shown that better hardware will run games that were handicapped by the platform better.

Sony’s should do the same I imagine unless they’ve somehow locked their hardware rates when running PS4 games.

But yes, if it can do that it’s odd they’ve not shown it just to shut up the crowing over MS’ impressive demonstrations of it,

I’m quite concerned about what I have heard, suggestions to use PS4 controllers for PS4 games on the PS5, why?

I’ve already got PS4, Xbox, Switch and Wii U controllers in the front room, I’m happy to exchange some (and preferably have less), but not more! 

The PS4 VR sounds like it could be tacked on as well, but until we get some answers it’s really up in the air.

2 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

It states this in the official blog post about save file transfers:

How do PS4 game transfers and game saves work between the two consoles?

You can transfer digital games, game data, and game saves from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using LAN cables, or by connecting wirelessly (WiFi). If you’ve already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.

Hooray!

3 minutes ago, AlexM said:

I’m quite concerned about what I have heard, suggestions to use PS4 controllers for PS4 games on the PS5, why?

I’ve already got PS4, Xbox, Switch and Wii U controllers in the front room, I’m happy to exchange some (and preferably have less), but not more! 

The PS4 VR sounds like it could be tacked on as well, but until we get some answers it’s really up in the air.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/apps---features/playstation-apps---features/backward-compatibility-ps4-games-on-ps5/

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/09/ps4-games-on-ps5-your-top-questions-answered/

I just realised: now they've explicitly stated that you can just plug external PS4 drives into a PS5, P.T. can continue to haunt another generation.

Not that I'll ever load it up, but I feel the need to hold on to it.

Just now, Ferine said:

I just realised: now they've explicitly stated that you can just plug external PS4 drives into a PS5, P.T. can continue to haunt another generation.

Not that I'll ever load it up, but I feel the need to hold on to it.

Never even thought of that, I’m going to shit my pants at 120fps.

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

How is it possible for a company of this magnitude, at such an important time and launch, not to be able to properly word some very simple things regarding their flagship product?

Such incompetence. 

It's really easy, then the lawyers get hold of it and rewrite it to be as arse covering as possible.

59 minutes ago, Ferine said:

The concern never ends, does it? I'll be playing games on launch day and people will be theorising that high framerates and fast load times are an introductory offer that will be rescinded the following week.

Any concerns I or any other person have don’t affect you and your launch day console. I can understand your point of view but from my standpoint this will be a family console, it should be easy to use with minimal fuss - I don’t want to be on standby to offer tech support / explain which peripheral combo works with which game / explain why favourite game x doesn’t work properly on PS5 while it worked fine on the old PS4 (then drag out said PS4 because ‘it doesn’t work’ isn’t good enough). 

7 hours ago, Quexex said:

It's really easy, then the lawyers get hold of it and rewrite it to be as arse covering as possible.

I dunno. This bit is very weird:

Before purchasing add-ons to play with your PS4 games on PS5 consoles, please try to boot and play your PS4 games on your PS5 console to see if you are happy with the play experience.

I don’t really see how that doesn’t cause you to worry - you’re basically being asked to test your own games. 

The blog post also seems to say the new camera doesn’t work with PS4 games. Does this mean it won’t work with unpatched PS VR games? 

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The blog post also seems to say the new camera doesn’t work with PS4 games. Does this mean it won’t work with unpatched PS VR games? 

That's why they are giving away an adapter to use the PS4 camera with PS5.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

And, you know, this messaging has been entirely consistent for months. If you’re interested in PSVR on the PS5 then you’ve either been hiding under a rock with your incuriousity to avoid discovering this, or you’re suddenly having an outbreak of genuine concerns.

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Yeah, I’m aware of that. There’s no need for another “genuine concerns” pile on from a bunch of people who are definitely too grown up for console wars. 

Just seems odd that if you want an HD camera you have to keep plugging your old camera in or have both connected. 

The fact that they’re releasing a camera that is basically just for streaming at the moment, but still chosen to give it two lenses, is interesting and adds weight to idea that they will be making a new PS VR for PS5. 

15 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I dunno. This bit is very weird:

I don’t really see how that doesn’t cause you to worry - you’re basically being asked to test your own games. 

No, they just don’t want you to buy add-ons for PS4 games without you having tested them beforehand.

All this worrying and the genuine concerns are getting a bit ridiculous