PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

2 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I'm actually way more pissed off about them getting it a week earlier than us than i should be.

At least we'll learn about any issues with noise / UI lag / build quality. All with typical over-reaction by so called "influencers".

8 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

At least we'll learn about any issues with noise / UI lag / build quality. All with typical over-reaction by so called "influencers".

I'm looking forward to my YouTube recommendations being a wall of people pulling shocked faces on a fire backdrop with a Photoshopped PS5 doing something, with a clickbait title on top.

17 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I am so fucking excited about this fucking next gen. I want you to know this. Selling shit and saving for an OLED telly and everything. ALLL because of that Demon’s Souls trailer.

OLED already makes everything next gen so if you did that you would be next gen x next gen which would equal no genuine concerns

9 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

You don't need quick resume, games load from cold in seconds.

Quick resume you can switch from one game to another in about 6 seconds and resume at the exact place you left off.

No matter how quickly a game boots from cold you're still sitting through those engine screens at the beginning and clicking through the title screens and selecting a save game and loading the save game. The loading of each individual element might be quick but you're not going to be back at the exact point you left off in 6 seconds just by virtue of all the stuff you're mandated to go through when you cold boot a game.

There were rumblings Sony had built something interesting into their UI where you could set up deep links from the dashboard directly to certain elements of each game so I guess we'll see if that was indeed true or not. Would certainly mitigate the lack of quick resume if you could just jump straight from the dashboard to, say, the lobby screen of a multiplayer game via a link you'd set up.

24 minutes ago, Majora said:

There were rumblings Sony had built something interesting into their UI where you could set up deep links from the dashboard directly to certain elements of each game so I guess we'll see if that was indeed true or not.

It’s a really common thing in mobile games, it’s about time deep linking came to consoles properly.

24 minutes ago, Majora said:

Quick resume you can switch from one game to another in about 6 seconds and resume at the exact place you left off.

No matter how quickly a game boots from cold you're still sitting through those engine screens at the beginning and clicking through the title screens and selecting a save game and loading the save game. The loading of each individual element might be quick but you're not going to be back at the exact point you left off in 6 seconds just by virtue of all the stuff you're mandated to go through when you cold boot a game.

There were rumblings Sony had built something interesting into their UI where you could set up deep links from the dashboard directly to certain elements of each game so I guess we'll see if that was indeed true or not. Would certainly mitigate the lack of quick resume if you could just jump straight from the dashboard to, say, the lobby screen of a multiplayer game via a link you'd set up.

Deep links as you call it is exactly what I’ve been screaming for since the Xbox 360 days.

I wish someone would just make it happen.

Every game should be as easy to get into as Rocket League.

33 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

It would be useful for me to pause playing one game and load straight back to training mode in Street Fighter with the settings as I left them. 

SF5 takes aaaaages to actually get to play. Is it supposed to "apply the latest patch" every single time you get to the title screen?

51 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

SF5 takes aaaaages to actually get to play. Is it supposed to "apply the latest patch" every single time you get to the title screen?

Its a ludicrous length of time. Takes 2 minutes and 6 seconds just to get to the main menu. You can get into a match sooner than that in both Tekken 7 and Mortal Kobat 11.

I hope the Street Fighter 6 delay and extended SF5 DLC support mean a PS5 patch too but we never did get a PS4 Pro patch so I I'm prepared for nothing more than BC "boost" mode.

Sorry, bit of a niche and boring set of questions, but...

Has anyone seen anywhere a) if we get an HDMI 2.1 cable in the PS5 box, and b) how long it is?

Appreciate this sort of sage knowledge will appeal to few people, but as I've got my TV wall mounted with a cable trucking sunk into the wall, the cable has a minimum distance to travel just to get to my TV unit before you even think about where in the cabinet it goes and I want to make sure I have something long enough here on launch day!

In case anyone is interested... :blah:

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

a) if we get an HDMI 2.1 cable in the PS5 box

I tracked back and found the box content leak on Twitter from early September and that says "HDMI Cable" is in the box but gives no details.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

b) how long it is?

The PS4 cable was 2m apparently (not long enough) so I'm going to assume the same and order a longer one over Prime Day to be sure.