PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

SATA3 caps out around 600MB/s. USB3.0 caps out around 400MB/s in practice. So you want a cable/enclosure that is USB 3.1 or 3.2 certified if you're connecting an external SSD and want it to be as fast as it can be.

For mechanical drives USB3.0 is enough, yeah.

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

@FiveFootNinja If you’ve got to go to a lot of hassle to replace cables I’d recommend using them without fitting them for a while to check there are no issues first. Had to send back four different lots of cables for incompatibility issues before finding a set that actually worked with PS4/OneX for 4k/hdr and on an LG TV.

Good point. To be honest I was measuring up things last night and I think I may change my plans slightly and move my SkyQ box instead which will be a bit less fussy I think.

Plus I also just found out my TV is 4K@60 not 120 anyway :doh:

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

Sony appears to have brought the release date of its various PlayStation 5 accessories forward in the UK, allowing eager players to get their hands on the hardware from November 12.

Just checked my Amazon Pre-Order for the Charging Station and it still has the 19th.

I ordered an extra controller from Smyths Games but can't see my order.

Argos have emailed me this morning to say they will be sending the DualSense out on 12 November.

2 hours ago, Quexex said:

It's a bit pricey -

I mentioned this drive in the other thread, https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCSUNBOW-SATAIII-Internal-Notebook-Desktop/dp/B088FKGBNM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sunbow%2Bssd&qid=1602579045&s=computers&sr=1-2&th=1

Bought a 1TB for my pro - seems to have more than enough reviews to cover it's 'no brand' looks. Working fine so far in my pro I think I paid 70 at the time but it's been lower. You may get the 2TB for 100 on Prime Day.

That seems super cheap compared to other 2tb drives. Why is that?

53 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Unknown brand, but the reviews are good and there are too many of them to be fake.

Might want to cancel it and get this instead:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sandisk-ssd-plus-1-tb-sata-iii-25-inch-internal-ssd-up-to-535-mbs-black-3560606

And an NVME for £85 (just in case you want to chuck it in a PC at a later date): https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/wd-blue-sn550-1tb-high-performance-m2-pcie-nvme-ssd-ps8495-prime-at-amazon-3560902

Picked up the Crucial 2tb SSD in the prime day stuff... stashing it into a 3.1 case and jobs a good un. £134 seemed a decent deal for it (I know it’s slightly slower than a few of the others floating around (540mb/s opposed to 560ish), but I can take that for the price 

Crucial BX500 2TB CT2000BX500SSD1-Up to 540 MB/s (Internal SSD, 3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YD5F561/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_SGAHFbSTG8EGN

Think I'll go with that Crucial BX500 but 1TB.

I've decided I'll get the official expansion card for the Xbox when back available so use this for the Xbox until then and then use it on the PS5 to replace the ext.HDD I'll be using on that.

6 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

The 970 can be used if you want to run PlayStation 4 games off it. The 980 Pro and WD Black PCIE 4.0 will likely be the first PS5 endorsed drives but only Sony knows right now. 

And water is wet, there's no restriction on what drive you can run a PS4 game off of, only a fucking idiot is putting an NVME in the PS5 to use for PS4 games and only an idiot would use one for PS4 games full stop, they arent designed to take advantage of the faster IO and you can buy much cheaper external drives.

Backing away from my previous SSD due to the feedback from here, but also imagining reusing it in a variety of scenarios (not all of which will be external storage on a PS5), does this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YFFX5MD inside one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TXCMQ8B make more sense?

Loads of the reviews of the tiny one I linked to earlier talked about it overheating, so it seems like a no-go.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Backing away from my previous SSD due to the feedback from here, but also imagining reusing it in a variety of scenarios (not all of which will be external storage on a PS5), does this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YFFX5MD inside one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TXCMQ8B make more sense?

Loads of the reviews of the tiny one I linked to earlier talked about it overheating, so it seems like a no-go.

It will be fine for external storage for PS4 games, but the write speed is quite slow, only offering 4x faster performance than the 5400rpm drive that comes in the PS4.

Beginning to doubt whether the Xbox Series X is actually RDNA2, no games with Ray tracing at launch, yet the not most powerful console is launching with an open world Spider-Man game that looks better than anything the Series X will have on it for at least 5 years and it has ray tracing. 

The concern is real.

8286.jpg

21 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Beginning to doubt whether the Xbox Series X is actually RDNA2, no games with Ray tracing at launch, yet the not most powerful console is launching with an open world Spider-Man game that looks better than anything the Series X will have on it for at least 5 years and it has ray tracing. 

The concern is real.

8286.jpg

State of this.

Apologies if this has been asked already:

I'm going to sell my PS4 Pro now, while it's still worth something. Is there any way I can download my backwards compatible game saves onto a USB drive, or similar, so I can upload them to my PS5 when I eventually get one? Or do I have to be a member of PS+ both now and when I want to upload them to the new console, so that I can access cloud saves?

16 hours ago, gooner4life said:

And water is wet, there's no restriction on what drive you can run a PS4 game off of, only a fucking idiot is putting an NVME in the PS5 to use for PS4 games and only an idiot would use one for PS4 games full stop, they arent designed to take advantage of the faster IO and you can buy much cheaper external drives.

This seems unnecessarily harsh, given he was trying to be helpful.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Apologies if this has been asked already:

I'm going to sell my PS4 Pro now, while it's still worth something. Is there any way I can download my backwards compatible game saves onto a USB drive, or similar, so I can upload them to my PS5 when I eventually get one? Or do I have to be a member of PS+ both now and when I want to upload them to the new console, so that I can access cloud saves?

You can back up your PS4 saves onto a suitably formatted USB drive, and I assume you'll be able to copy them onto the PS5 just as you can another PS4 now. Alternatively you will need an active PSN membership now and when you get a PS5 in order to transfer them via cloud saves.