PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

41 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

if you can pay £800 for a games console in this climate you're not exactly days away from living on the street.

I think there are all sorts of people out there paying over the odds, and more often than not they're not particularly good with money or it's emotional/situational factors making them spend the money, rather than being rich.

Regardless, I really hope Sony can address the stock situation to put an end to people paying over the odds.

Re: Destiny 2 - apparently the PS5 version is also coming on Dec 8th. I don't care enough about it to pay £35 for Beyond Light ( especially when it's free on GP), but I'll happily download it to try Crucible in 120fps. I just want to see a 120fps game!

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think there are all sorts of people out there paying over the odds, and more often than not they're not particularly good with money or it's emotional/situational factors making them spend the money, rather than being rich.

Regardless, I really hope Sony can address the stock situation to put an end to people paying over the odds.

Yeah, fair.

I fully expect Sony to keep pumping these out at a fair rate, I think the Christmas run-up will be the last time we'll see this selling over the odds.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Ewww scalpers :( 

I feel there's quite a difference between actually using the machine and deciding you don't actually want the it right now versus those buying it purely to sell it on, or those who ordered from multiple places and then decide to sell those spares at inflated prices. Whilst many probably just view the latter group as not so bad, I think they very much are.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

The controller is nice, and the combination of controller audio, the haptics and the triggers does feel really good. I wouldn't want every game to be Astrobot, but the small ways it's used in Mile Morales also feel nice even though it's much more subtle. You can nicely feel the trigger point where you'll swing a web.

I agree with this. Playing PS4 games and suddenly losing all and any trigger resistance is really noticeable. It'll be interesting to see how I feel about playing games on Xbox without the triggers over the course of the gen.

I am absolutely loving everything about the PS5 atm. It's a straight up amazing upgrade to the PS4 Pro that was in it's place. 

Everything... apart form the two quite horrible crashes I've experienced on the thing, both with Mile Morales, and I'm hoping it's just the game being released WAAAY underdone! 

Last play session, I hit a freeze crash, then the console rebooted and did the whole repair thing, along with a "you're extended storage wasn't ejected" message. 

I really want to use the Extended Storage for all the PS4 games that now run fantastically on the new machine... just not a fan of these crashes. 

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I am absolutely loving everything about the PS5 atm. It's a straight up amazing upgrade to the PS4 Pro that was in it's place. 

Everything... apart form the two quite horrible crashes I've experienced on the thing, both with Mile Morales, and I'm hoping it's just the game being released WAAAY underdone! 

Last play session, I hit a freeze crash, then the console rebooted and did the whole repair thing, along with a "you're extended storage wasn't ejected" message. 

I really want to use the Extended Storage for all the PS4 games that now run fantastically on the new machine... just not a fan of these crashes. 

Had crashes with Mile Morales and Astrobot as well. Three crashes with each game now. Miles Morales freezes and takes an age to shut down and restart, whereas Astrobot seems to immediately go to the error report screen. So not just Spiderman sadly.

2 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Had crashes with Mile Morales and Astrobot as well. Three crashes with each game now. Miles Morales freezes and takes an age to shut down and restart, whereas Astrobot seems to immediately go to the error report screen. So not just Spiderman sadly.

Where you using extended storage when they happened?

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

There's no trigger resistance in Demon's Souls or in the PS5 version of Sackboy so I can't say I feel like other games are missing anything just yet when Astrobot is the only game I've played that had it. 

You'll have to use a bow in Demon's Souls.

There does seem to be a bug in the implementation in that the resistance drops away if you immediately prep an arrow after shooting one. Wait a sec or so in between shots and the resistance pops back in.

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Where you using extended storage when they happened?

Not at first. It crashed on me 3 times I think it was, then I plugged in the external storage that I was using on my PS4 and it doesn't seem to have increased the crashes or changed the way it behaves when it does. I figure if it was crashing without any external storage then I may as well just have it plugged in.

Edit: it's basically crashing once per play session if I play for around an hour or more. It isn't heat related as far as I can tell. If I play for around 30 minutes I don't ever experience any hiccups of any kind.

1 minute ago, SteveH said:

Not at first. It crashed on me 3 times I think it was, then I plugged in the external storage that I was using on my PS4 and it doesn't seem to have increased the crashes or changed the way it behaves when it does. I figure if it was crashing without any external storage then I may as well just have it plugged in.

That seems to be my findings too, that it actually doesn't affect it. 

28 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

There was an update to MM this morning on my system - hopefully it will help the hard locks.

36 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

So selling a used ‘faulty’ one for profit is better than selling a brand new one for profit  :lol:

Its morally bankrupt behaviour whatever way you look at it but if you are happy with that then go for it - the other options are to let someone else have it at cost or send it back and get a refund and someone gets an Amazon warehouse deal for less than RRP.

People can do what they want, it’s a free world after all but do it quietly and not post about it on a forum where people help each other out and have a nice community looking for justification - boo fucking how I can’t pay my credit card bill in a month where I spent £450+ on a toy.

You've quoted me but given that a) I don't have a PS5, nor do I want one and b) I have never looked to flip in-demand items, nor would I - I don't really get why you aim the rest of your post at me.

As to the bolded, I do still think there's a difference, yes. In this situation that's partly because there's no indication the console is actually faulty in any way (other than @Spacehost isn't happy with the noise level - but then a number of people in this thread aren't, either) but also because there is a big difference between somebody removing something from the retail channel to deliberately fleece people and somebody using the console and deciding it is not to their liking and looking to sell.

Plus it's not like if @Spacehost returned the console to Sony they will pack it up and sell it again as new, so that machine is lost to the retail channel as a new item either way.

Now would *I* ever dream of touching a second-hand console mere days after its release even for RRP? Not a chance. I'd also be very dubious about any warranty, whether that is buying a unopened box from an ebay fleecer or a best mate. This is why I also reserve my ire for people that felt they just couldn't miss out and had to have it, so ordered 2+ consoles from different places and then decide to sell the spare at a profit.

If this were me, would I try and offer it to people I know for a fair price? Sure. Hell, I just bought an Nvidia 3070 that I don't need purely so I can sell my 2070 Super to a good friend with not much money ridiculously below what I could get for it privately.

Do I think anybody has any obligation to sell something they have used and own cheaply/at cost though? Of course not and the whole reason ebay exists is for people to let the market decide what to pay for it and whilst you can say it's morally bankrupt, there comes a point where you have to put some blame on people willing to pay stupid amounts for it. After all, you can't condemn those preying on the FOMO to sell at stupidly high prices whilst at the same time absolving people stretching themselves to buy something due to that same FOMO - one doesn't exist without the other and it's not like Sony are going to stop making them and the cease to be available.

And just in case somebody says that they promised their kids/partner/parents/next door neighbour they'd get a console for Christmas, then I just say that would be a foolish promise to make for a new console release even outside of a global pandemic, so I don't have a lot of sympathy there.

Patience is indeed a virtue that too many people lack these days, I fear.

Edit: Just re-read your post and saw the Amazon Warehouse bit - and I actually agree. As I do about the bit with credit cards, actually. But I still don't think anybody is obliged to do that once they've bought it and played around with it - though I think that would be a decent thing to do, of course.

I'm trawling back through the thread trying to find a couple of very helpful posts from around launch time (I think) that detailed the best video settings to apply when using the PS5 with The TV Set That Shall Not Be Named.

One was a fairly brief overview that showed what to change on the PS5's video settings as well as a couple of things to alter on the TV istelf. The other was a link to an external site (possibly ResetEra?) that had an increibly in-depth guide to setting up the TV for use with PS5 as well as Xbox Series X.

I was sure I had bookmarked them but I seem to have done goofed. I'm going to keep looking back through the thread for them, and will edit this post to include them if I find them in case they would be useful for anyone else - but if the people who originally posted them see this in the meantime, I'd appreciate a repost please!

The official charging docks are going for up to £100 on eBay. Now what is properly crazy. I can understand, to an extent, people being willing to pay a premium on the console itself to get it before Christmas but not on a bloody charging dock. It's something I wouldn't mind to cut down on wires but I can very happily wait to pay normal price for that.

41 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Edit: it's basically crashing once per play session if I play for around an hour or more. It isn't heat related as far as I can tell. If I play for around 30 minutes I don't ever experience any hiccups of any kind.

Does it crash once after an hour and then it's ok once you've rebooted and played for another hour?  that would be one way to definitely rule out it being a heat issue.

4 minutes ago, Majora said:

The official charging docks are going for up to £100 on eBay. Now what is properly crazy. I can understand, to an extent, people being willing to pay a premium on the console itself to get it before Christmas but not on a bloody charging dock. It's something I wouldn't mind to cut down on wires but I can very happily wait to pay normal price for that.

Are they actually selling for that much or that's how much they're listed for?

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Does it crash once after an hour and then it's ok once you've rebooted and played for another hour?  that would be one way to definitely rule out it being a heat issue.

It isn't something I have been able to test yet, but certainly crossed my mind and I'll be trying when I have the time.

9 minutes ago, Majora said:

The problem with the official docks (at least during the PS4 era) is that Sony creates a limited single run of them and then they simply disappear from retail. It's actually the first thing I pre-ordered, even before the PS5, just because I was anticipating Sony not having learned anything from the last gen. Hope I'm wrong this time around, but well, that'll be why that eBay price is sky high.

24 minutes ago, Billy Brown said:

I'm trawling back through the thread trying to find a couple of very helpful posts from around launch time (I think) that detailed the best video settings to apply when using the PS5 with The TV Set That Shall Not Be Named.

One was a fairly brief overview that showed what to change on the PS5's video settings as well as a couple of things to alter on the TV istelf. The other was a link to an external site (possibly ResetEra?) that had an increibly in-depth guide to setting up the TV for use with PS5 as well as Xbox Series X.

I was sure I had bookmarked them but I seem to have done goofed. I'm going to keep looking back through the thread for them, and will edit this post to include them if I find them in case they would be useful for anyone else - but if the people who originally posted them see this in the meantime, I'd appreciate a repost please!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/43825650