IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

11 hours ago, SeanR said:

black electrical tape?

That's what I'll be doing today. I usually use LED fading stickers on everything with a non-dimmable LED but the PS5 light trip is too long and too bright for the ones I have. I do have some black insulating tape that should work great cut to fit.

13 hours ago, Quexex said:

Are those saves forms disc version? Probably won't work if they are, it's not a PS5 issue it's a antiquated save game issue that may well have been phased out by now...

I thought it might have worked seeing as my disc GoW to digital GoW saves worked OK. God damn it. 

4 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I thought it might have worked seeing as my disc GoW to digital GoW saves worked OK. God damn it. 

Yeah, I had a press kit version, a release version and a digital version of Second Son and the save game only works with the release version I started on.

1 minute ago, DUKENUKEM2UK said:

Yes

Depends on the game, but if you tap the PS button whilst on the game page you should get some activities and trophies, if you select one of the trophies (it's a bit foggy I've not used it for a while) - you should see a PS+ icon with light bulb beside it select that to see the how to video ... but it does depend if the game supports it - Spiderman MM does and I used a few times.

35 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Depends on the game, but if you tap the PS button whilst on the game page you should get some activities and trophies, if you select one of the trophies (it's a bit foggy I've not used it for a while) - you should see a PS+ icon with light bulb beside it select that to see the how to video ... but it does depend if the game supports it - Spiderman MM does and I used a few times.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

7 days after sending it off Sony have confirmed they have received my PlayStation and controller.

When they say 14 days they really mean 13 days of travel and a day to fix.

Mine was about the same but I got the new controller back within 48 hours from that notification. 

1 hour ago, Quexex said:

The way that Astrobot uses it to show you where collectables are is truly mind-blowing stuff. I absolutely loved that. I really, really hope that it becomes standard for all games going forward.

18 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Very nice. 

Ordered mine today, been waiting on a UK seller stocking them. 

Sony are missing a trick here, plenty of people would pay £30 for official faceplates. 

Out of stock now :(

Also, I expect official ones will be closer to £60 than to £30 if Sony ever see enough sense to start making them...

23 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Sony are missing a trick here, plenty of people would pay £30 for official faceplates. 

:D They have enough trouble keeping up demand for the consoles.... I expect they will get official ones out at some point or a black console variant. 

33 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Very nice. 

Ordered mine today, been waiting on a UK seller stocking them. 

Sony are missing a trick here, plenty of people would pay £49 for official faceplates. 

ftfy

8 minutes ago, df0 said:

On him, yes.

I lack the charisma, beard, presentation and confidence to pull that off.

:(

he does have a certain gravitas

for what it’s worth I hated the hour I played, I found it to be self-indulgent, masturbatory, and boring. I’ve uninstalled it already, thank god it was free. It’s a beautiful tech demo but it was also like pulling teeth and life is far too short to wait until it “gets going”

A week and a half without a PlayStation.

I think I am actually addicted. The feeling of longing and loss is almost identical to giving up smoking. I get home from work and I’m infuriated I have no controller to pick up and no games to play.

I did t think you could actually get “addicted” to a console but this certainly feels like it.

On 10/03/2021 at 22:43, Harrisown said:

A week and a half without a PlayStation.

I think I am actually addicted. The feeling of longing and loss is almost identical to giving up smoking. I get home from work and I’m infuriated I have no controller to pick up and no games to play.

I did t think you could actually get “addicted” to a console but this certainly feels like it.

I’m a PC gamer and for no apparent reason bought a Series X at launch, a decision that I regretted. Picked up a PS5 about 10 days ago and haven’t turned the PC on once since. Every single night I’ve been on the PS5 without fail. Feels futuristic with a joypad that is easily the best one ever made. The hardware and ‘experience’ is radically different to the PC equivalent whereas a Series X feels like a compromised computer. 

There are some good looking games on the new Xbox but Demons Souls and Miles Morales are a whole different level of visual fidelity. 

1 hour ago, vezna said:

The hardware and ‘experience’ is radically different to the PC equivalent whereas a Series X feels like a compromised computer. 

For a longtime now I’ve felt the XBOX was very similar to a PC, I think it’s a combination of it being MS (I still think Windows first and foremost), more and more games being available on PC and many of its games are ones I think of as PC games first, Bethesda’s catalogue being the most recent example. The best (highest frame rate/resolution) place to play many of the games is also on a PC.

The future for PlayStation may feel similar, especially if we see more and more PC ports and as cloud gaming matures but at the moment the PS5 feels unique with it’s controller, it’s looks (love or hate) and games like AstroBot, Demon’s Souls, Spider-Man and historically GT, Wipeout, Tekken etc.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

For a longtime now I’ve felt the XBOX was very similar to a PC, I think it’s a combination of it being MS (I still think Windows first and foremost), more and more games being available on PC and many of its games are ones I think of as PC games first, Bethesda’s catalogue being the most recent example. The best (highest frame rate/resolution) place to play many of the games is also on a PC.

The future for PlayStation may feel similar, especially if we see more and more PC ports and as cloud gaming matures but at the moment the PS5 feels unique with it’s controller, it’s looks (love or hate) and games like AstroBot, Demon’s Souls, Spider-Man and historically GT, Wipeout, Tekken etc.

But for people who don’t want a PC and all the tinkering that comes with it, Xbox is a nice alternative.

Surely the Xbox is closer to the Playstation now because they are both based on AMD architecture, while the PC scene is being led by Nvidia technologies like RTX and DLSS?

I don't think it follows that Xbox is like a PC, compromised or otherwise. 

34 minutes ago, Popo said:

Surely the Xbox is closer to the Playstation now because they are both based on AMD architecture, while the PC scene is being led by Nvidia technologies like RTX and DLSS?

I don't think it follows that Xbox is like a PC, compromised or otherwise. 

It’s the Xbox OS that makes it feel like a PC. Feels a bit Windows 8 to me. Its very responsive though to be fair on the Series X.

My PS5 has slowly been getting louder the last couple of weeks.

Took the side panels off yesterday and I've got one of the Nidec fans (fewer blades) and started looking at possible ways to quieten the noise.

It seems rubber washers between the fan and main case go some way to reducing the vibrations that cause most of the noise so I'm about to order a Torx T8 screwdriver and a set of 6mm rubber washers.

Has anybody else done this? Has it made a tangible difference?

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive