PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

Thanks for the responses! Disappointing to hear though, I've spent a small fortune on the Switch store due in no small part to those Wishlist emails Nintendo send out, I thought it was standard practice. If they're discounting the things, they may as well have people actually buying them else my money will flow to other places.

4 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Hey all, just have a quick PSN question. Does Sony send you a notification when one of the games on your wish list is on sale. Nintendo do that with the Switch Store and it's proven a great way to hoover up games I wanted to play but couldn't justify the launch price.

Use psprices and you get notifications

https://psprices.com/region-gb/discounts/?platform=all&sort=date

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Wish list emails, "hey, you've been playing a lot of this game, here's a link to buy the DLC" emails, a News page on the console to announce releases, Nintendo have just got their online store game really figured out.

If there is ever a concrete indication we're now living in upside down world, it's the realisation that Nintendo. NINTENDO have something online figured out better than their competitors.

29 minutes ago, Dudley said:

If there is ever a concrete indication we're now living in upside down world, it's the realisation that Nintendo. NINTENDO have something online figured out better than their competitors.

Their family account is better too. 

Anyone got any recommendations for good quality replacement panels for their PS5s? I know the original D-brand one has gone, and I don't like the new one with the cut-out in it, so any other ones would be more than welcomed :) 

22 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Anyone got any recommendations for good quality replacement panels for their PS5s? I know the original D-brand one has gone, and I don't like the new one with the cut-out in it, so any other ones would be more than welcomed :) 

I've got these -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08W3D4H98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Thank you. A set ordered. It will slightly mitigate the ocular disaster that the machine continues to be.

Honestly, even the plastic they used for the thing is a 'dirty' white, and cheap looking as all hell. 

2 hours ago, marsh said:

Who's idea was it to call the online party shenanigans 'game base' ? It's like something from a shit idea on the IT crowd.

The whole party system got fucked a few updates ago. Made something so straight forward and functional a ballache of persistent parties you can't invite people to cos they are already "in" the party

9 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

The whole party system got fucked a few updates ago. Made something so straight forward and functional a ballache of persistent parties you can't invite people to cos they are already "in" the party

Yep, it's dreadful. Something that worked so well and was easy on the PS4 is now hidden away under multiple layers of bollocks. In fact that seems to be the case for the whole UI on this system.

Is the WD SN850 the go to SSD?

After getting a PS Now sub I've just had to delete a load of stuff off my internal drive to make room for PS4 downloads. I know I could play them from a USB drive but I'd rather just improve the internal storage.

The 1TB version is currently just under £133 and a heatsink is an extra tenner or so. I'm probably going to hold off till Black Friday to see if there's any mega bargains though.

1 hour ago, cubik said:

After getting a PS Now sub I've just had to delete a load of stuff off my internal drive to make room for PS4 downloads. I know I could play them from a USB drive but I'd rather just improve the internal storage.

The 1TB version is currently just under £133 and a heatsink is an extra tenner or so. I'm probably going to hold off till Black Friday to see if there's any mega bargains though.

Don’t buy the heatsink. The metal plate that covers the m.2 slot should provide enough cooling for the thing really. 

3 hours ago, cubik said:

You are me a week ago. I installed it 2 days ago which I guess means I’m an engineer now. I did add a cheap heatsink which was easy enough, although I’m not qualified to say whether it is really needed or not. Seems to be working absolutely fine. 

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

Don’t buy the heatsink. The metal plate that covers the m.2 slot should provide enough cooling for the thing really. 

Is this right? The official site says:

"Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink and a heat transfer sheet. You can attach these to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format or double-sided format (single-sided cooling structures are an easier fit). There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in. For information on how to attach the heat dissipation mechanism, check the instructions that come with it."

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

All the usual hardware sites also echo this info:

https://www.theverge.com/22602046/best-ps5-playstation-5-m2-ssd-compatible-drives

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/features/ps5-ssd-upgrade-temperature-testing

To reduce the risk and for the sake of a tenner, I'll be going for a heatsink. Just need to keep an eye on prices for the drive itself over the next few weeks.

edit - It's crazy how much more expensive the factory fitted heatsink is.

On Amazon, the bare version is £133 and heatsink version is £258.

Even the WD site itself has a stupid price increase from £133 to £186.

16 minutes ago, cubik said:

Is this right? The official site says:

"Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink and a heat transfer sheet. You can attach these to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format or double-sided format (single-sided cooling structures are an easier fit). There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in. For information on how to attach the heat dissipation mechanism, check the instructions that come with it."

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

All the usual hardware sites also echo this info:

https://www.theverge.com/22602046/best-ps5-playstation-5-m2-ssd-compatible-drives

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/features/ps5-ssd-upgrade-temperature-testing

To reduce the risk and for the sake of a tenner, I'll be going for a heatsink. Just need to keep an eye on prices for the drive itself over the next few weeks.

edit - It's crazy how much more expensive the factory fitted heatsink is.

On Amazon, the bare version is £133 and heatsink version is £258.

Even the WD site itself has a stupid price increase from £133 to £186.

I guess it's better to be safe than sorry! I've got an m.2 drive in an external all metal housing without any other heat sink on it, and it's been fine for months - although I guess it's not being used as much as the ones in my PC! I was watching one of LTT's videos about it, and he was using one without a heatsink without any issue.

But...if you can get one and it fits in the housing, then it can't do any harm!

6 minutes ago, Cootinho said:

You can get it £139.99 with a free heat sink on Scan. I got this last week it’s easy to fit and works fine:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-wd-black-sn850-m2-2280-pcie-40-x4-nvme-ssd-3d-nand-7000mb-s-read-5300mb-s-write

That's a good deal, but....

Based on my previous personal experience of Scan and their level of customer support/service when things go wrong, I'd rather buy it from a scally off Gumtree.

In other news, I've just fitted the matt black panels, and I feel marginally more happier about its aesthetics. Now, just to wait on the matt black vinyl for the dust magnet that is the middle panel. 

Who designs these things? I'm assuming an accountant somewhere, thinking that shiny, cheap looking plastic is going to save them a few coppers over a matt finish.

32 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Who designs these things? I'm assuming an accountant somewhere, thinking that shiny, cheap looking plastic is going to save them a few coppers over a matt finish.

Probably so it gets scratched to buggery so it t devalues the second hand value and so more people go and buy a shiny new one no doubt why white too so it discolours. Cynic that I am.... :D Hate the shiny bit in the middle just plugging in cables in time will scratch it. :(

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

Probably so it gets scratched to buggery so it t devalues the second hand value and so more people go and buy a shiny new one. Probably why white too so it discolours. Cynic that I am.... :D Hate the shiny bit in the middle just plugging in cables in time will scratch it. :(

Probably!

I got a centre strip from here:

https://www.xtremeskins.co.uk/

God knows what they're like, but what's another £10 in the grand scheme of things...

I am fully aware that I'm a bit of a fool.

IMG_1244.thumb.jpg.f4fabdffa8c0527c219c280bcf34b482.jpg

I mean, it's still ugly, but at least it's black and the middle section isn't some kind of dust collector (and doesn't look like it's been vigorously rubbed with a brillo pad before being packed into the box.

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

IMG_1244.thumb.jpg.f4fabdffa8c0527c219c280bcf34b482.jpg

I mean, it's still ugly, but at least it's black and the middle section isn't some kind of dust collector (and doesn't look like it's been vigorously rubbed with a brillo pad before being packed into the box.

I suppose that’s as close to a Series X as you can get it to look.

Is the PS5 supposed to have a gentle hum going on when in standby mode? It's not especially loud, but it's enough to make me not use the function, which is something I really like about the Series X (which doesn't seem to make any noise at all as far as I can hear).