PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

7 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

And confidently state you can tell which bits are CGI and which bits are real video, in fact it's so obvious you aren't even going to say which. Those bits. The obvious ones. Unless they are all CGI in which case you can tell that too. Easy.

I could spot the difference, the one exception being the very early but also very brief recreation of Neo waking up, I was fooled on first look! But every difference after that was crystal clear to me.

In other news, booted up my PS5 yesterday to be met with a low-res black screen saying something along the lines of "Your PS5 needs to be re-initialised"  I had to download the latest firmware to an old usb stick and reinstall the OS from scratch, wiping everything. This happened last year and back then I kept getting an error message saying the UPDATE.pup file was corrupt partway through install, so I thought I was in for an evening of sony shenanigans, but the firmware installed first time. :) 

I still want to get a digital-only replacement, but finding one is still proving difficult.

16 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

And confidently state you can tell which bits are CGI and which bits are real video, in fact it's so obvious you aren't even going to say which. Those bits. The obvious ones. Unless they are all CGI in which case you can tell that too. Easy.

It is fairly obvious, no need to be snooty about it. Besides, as soon as they start walking they move like they have a stick up their ass. Keanu is wooden but he’s not THAT wooden. 

Well, I'm going to lay my cards on the table and say I cannot tell the difference. Not at all. So I tend to disbelieve statements like the above. To say it is in anyway obvious feels like a humblebrag. But I'm sure you fine gentlemen wouldn't lie to me, so believe it I must.

I got the new Beta firmware last night. I just had a quick root around but the new slightly smaller tiles (so that more stay on-screen) and the ability to pin a few into place seem positive. The terribly-named "Game Base" area looks like it might be a bit slicker for parties and the like.

Also, I think my TV now kicks in an Instant Game Mode switch (which I assume is HDMI ALLM) that it didn't used to? So perhaps there's changes in how it's outputting video?

I think from memory, they've done something about searching by Genre somehow. Not clear if that's defined by the platform, or something you create. There's no folders. I don't really feel the need for folders, mind you. I've got every PS4 and PS5 title I've bought available to me on the PS5, do I really want to spend ages folderising them all? It seems like a solution from yesteryear.

2 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Well, I'm going to lay my cards on the table and say I cannot tell the difference. Not at all. So I tend to disbelieve statements like the above. To say it is in anyway obvious feels like a humblebrag. But I'm sure you fine gentlemen wouldn't lie to me, so believe it I must.

I mean…believe what you like, but I’m not trying to score points or “humblebrag” about something as inconsequential as whether or not I can tell reality from cgi :lol:

Anyway, there are things you can see - real Keanu’s lips are more lined and chapped - quite noticeably so - which all but disappear when he’s CG. The fidelity and colour of his beard - it’s more dappled with grey in reality. He skin is less detailed, more waxy looking. His eyes - always the surest giveaway - have uncanny valley when he’s CG. The way they move is a dead giveaway, they’re all stiff and don’t move fluidly at all. Carrie Ann Moss is walking like one of those Japanese robots, for example, in the bit where she multiples and it looks godawful. 

Edit: here’s a screenshot that might help

4434802E-F380-4DDC-983A-1F74ECA35E40.thumb.jpeg.5d595836a630771066580f600c2a3222.jpeg

Now I’m not saying the demo wasn’t impressive, because it was, but there is very clearly something…off…about fake Keanu. Like I said, it’s that uncanny valley thing. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I got the new Beta firmware last night. I just had a quick root around but the new slightly smaller tiles (so that more stay on-screen) and the ability to pin a few into place seem positive. The terribly-named "Game Base" area looks like it might be a bit slicker for parties and the like.

Also, I think my TV now kicks in an Instant Game Mode switch (which I assume is HDMI ALLM) that it didn't used to? So perhaps there's changes in how it's outputting video?

My LG C1 has always gone straight into game mode with the PS5 so its defi not a new feature on the PS5.

28 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I mean…believe what you like, but I’m not trying to score points or “humblebrag” about something as inconsequential as whether or not I can tell reality from cgi :lol:

Anyway, there are things you can see - real Keanu’s lips are more lined and chapped - quite noticeably so - which all but disappear when he’s CG. The fidelity and colour of his beard - it’s more dappled with grey in reality. He skin is less detailed, more waxy looking. His eyes - always the surest giveaway - have uncanny valley when he’s CG. The way they move is a dead giveaway, they’re all stiff and don’t move fluidly at all. Carrie Ann Moss is walking like one of those Japanese robots, for example, in the bit where she multiples and it looks godawful. 

Edit: here’s a screenshot that might help

4434802E-F380-4DDC-983A-1F74ECA35E40.thumb.jpeg.5d595836a630771066580f600c2a3222.jpeg

Now I’m not saying the demo wasn’t impressive, because it was, but there is very clearly something…off…about fake Keanu. Like I said, it’s that uncanny valley thing. 

You could switch those round and I'd believe you equally as well. Both Keanus look weird as fuck.

27 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

My LG C1 has always gone straight into game mode with the PS5 so its defi not a new feature on the PS5.

It never did it for me (on my C9) before last night, so presumably something has changed. Maybe it's just a little more reliable at signalling it. I see similar split opinions on the internet, so I'm not the only one.

14 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

You could switch those round and I'd believe you equally as well. Both Keanus look weird as fuck.

You know sometimes you’ll be writing a word - a common, easy word - and you know it’s right, but it doesn’t look right? And the more you look at it, and the more you think about it, the less sure you are?

It’s like that, but Keanu’s face. 

Availability of these new fangled PS5's is still a sh1t show. Sigh.

Anyone got any recent tips on how to snag them a PS5 each without being on the inter web for hours/days at a time? Like I did a year ago to get mine! 😐 

16 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

At last, now all we need is VRR.

On 10/02/2022 at 16:57, Uncle Mike said:

I think from memory, they've done something about searching by Genre somehow. Not clear if that's defined by the platform, or something you create. There's no folders. I don't really feel the need for folders, mind you. I've got every PS4 and PS5 title I've bought available to me on the PS5, do I really want to spend ages folderising them all? It seems like a solution from yesteryear.

In the case of PSVR titles, yes I do. In the ‘your collection’ tab, the options you have are sort by name, installed date, genre or size. Oh, and PS3, PS4 or PS5. Unless I delete all my PS4 titles but PSVR games then folders was a much more straightforward system. 

32 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Are there no wireless dongle dedicated headsets (like Arctis 7P+) but with ANC (like WH-1000Mk4)? 

I find it astonishing that my Sony Bluetooth headphones don’t work with my Sony PS5. Classic Sony. Say Sony one more time, I fucking dare you.

Spoiler

Nah.

16 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I find it astonishing that my Sony Bluetooth headphones don’t work with my Sony PS5. Classic Sony. Say Sony one more time, I fucking dare you.

Hide contents

Nah.

Spoiler

S

Spoiler

O

Spoiler

N

Spoiler

I am dissapoint

Bluetooth will probably have too much latency anyway - hence the dedicated wireless dongles that come with gaming headsets.

But you should be able to just get a BT USB dongle for your Sony (said it again) cans.

48 minutes ago, krenzler said:

But you should be able to just get a BT USB dongle for your Sony (said it again) cans.

Yeah sorry I should have said, I already have the official Pulse headset dongle (pffffttttt) plugged in so I wish it’d just work with that. USB ports are at such a premium on the PS5, it’s quite annoying.