PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

23 hours ago, MattyP said:

Ouch. Suppose they'll try and get away with as much as they can and probably testing the water a bit and seeing what the market will tolerate.

There will be some newer gamers out there who won't have played it at all I guess. Question is if you'd never played it before is it worth £70? Well when I get it on PS3 all those years ago it was more than worth the £40 (45?) I paid for it back then. So I'd say easily. Not so much if you've played it before though.

I’ve never played it, mostly because before TLOU came along the thing everyone always raved about was Uncharted - and I thought Uncharted was overrated shite. This came across to me as Uncharted with zombies, and it was the same people raving about it so I figured it was not for me.

I’m slightly intrigued by this new opportunity to see if it’s any good, but probably not enough to actually buy it.

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

I’ve never played it, mostly because before TLOU came along the thing everyone always raved about was Uncharted - and I thought Uncharted was overrated shite. This came across to me as Uncharted with zombies, and it was the same people raving about it so I figured it was not for me.

I’m slightly intrigued by this new opportunity to see if it’s any good, but probably not enough to actually buy it.

Dude it's one of the best single player games ever made and nothing like Uncharted. You have TLOU Remastered free with your PS5, get on it - I think based on what I know of your tastes that so long as you allow yourself to get immersed and don't automatically dismiss it cos it's mainstream/popular or whatever that you'll love it. Really does live up to the hype.

23 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Dude it's one of the best single player games ever made and nothing like Uncharted. You have TLOU Remastered free with your PS5, get on it - I think based on what I know of your tastes that so long as you allow yourself to get immersed and don't automatically dismiss it cos it's mainstream/popular or whatever that you'll love it. Really does live up to the hype.

Second this. Enjoyed the first TLoU more than any Uncharted game. The music, the gritty atmosphere, the characters. Work of art and one of the most memorable experiences I've had on the medium. And I've been playing for a long time 😂

For anyone that has never played it you are in for a fantastic experience! Can't recommend it enough. 

I’ve bounced off TLOU a couple of times before. Started it again last night and got a couple of hours in - about half an hour further than before. I still have the same criticism as last time I tried it - you “wake up” 20 years later and are thrown into a world that you, the player, know nothing about whilst your character is supposed to be some wizened old guy that knows the ins and outs of it having survived there for 20 years. The game is at pains to tell you how to crouch and jump and sprint, but then your guide scoots off round a corner and you’re left fumbling around trying to figure out where to go. But your character has lived there for 20 years so you shouldn’t really be getting lost 5 minutes from your house.

I’m determined to give it more of a go this time though. It does look stunning, the characters are obviously excellent, and the depth of detail in the world is really cool.

1 hour ago, Fretnoise said:

I’ve bounced off TLOU a couple of times before. Started it again last night and got a couple of hours in - about half an hour further than before. I still have the same criticism as last time I tried it - you “wake up” 20 years later and are thrown into a world that you, the player, know nothing about whilst your character is supposed to be some wizened old guy that knows the ins and outs of it having survived there for 20 years. The game is at pains to tell you how to crouch and jump and sprint, but then your guide scoots off round a corner and you’re left fumbling around trying to figure out where to go. But your character has lived there for 20 years so you shouldn’t really be getting lost 5 minutes from your house.

I’m determined to give it more of a go this time though. It does look stunning, the characters are obviously excellent, and the depth of detail in the world is really cool.

I bounced off it on PS3 and then PS4 remaster but finally got into it on the last attempt, I still have loads of criticisms of it but its an absorbing game once you get into it and I could work around the awful controls/shooting mechanics I did fall for it. As someone who doesn’t care for story in any game this was one of the few that I did get quite into and while for me its not the all time great that some praise it as I am glad to have finished it and the DLC - bounced off the sequel tho so by 2026 and the PS5 remaster i should like that too!

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

It’s going to have to be some Remake for anyone with a PS5 to even consider it with the Remaster sitting there.

Yeah I couldn't give a fuck about that remaster despite my TLOU love, it's just typical modern Sony greed.

8 hours ago, Fretnoise said:

That has to be one of the worst criticisms of a game I have ever read. And just how on earth are you getting lost in the early parts? It's a very linear game, and those early parts are especially linear. I'm genuinely baffled. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

That has to be one of the worst criticisms of a game I have ever read. And just how on earth are you getting lost in the early parts? It's a very linear game, and those early parts are especially linear. I'm genuinely baffled. 

It’s a fair point - I don’t play this genre very much and only really installed it due to the talk about the remake, so maybe I’m not familiar with some of the norms. 

I didn’t get “lost” as such, but did find myself retracing my steps and having to do the R1 ability to find Tess a couple of times, usually when I’d wandered off to look at posters or desks or something. I also went round in circles a few times in the trenches when evading the guys with spotlights from up above - not exactly the actions of a gnarly hero! :) 

My point stands though. Can you imagine needing to be lead by the nose to find Robert’s warehouse, about 5 minutes walk from where you live, when you’d lived there for 20 years?

That opening ‘stealth’ bit put me off the game multiple times, the awkward controls and and poor ‘maze’ are difficult to navigate and I too got ‘lost’ - I would go as far as to say its the worst opening of any game ive played to go on and really like, so bad it put me off the entire game for years….

Yesterday my console started playing up - COD Vanguard reported a disk i/o error when it was loading up and then shortly after crashed out and the console turned itself off and wouldn't turn back on again until I'd pulled the power out of the back of it for a few minutes

On reboot it repaired both the internal drive and the M.2 storage I have in it and booted (just about) to the dash before powering off again. I suspected the M.2 drive, so I took it out - it was roasting hot - tried the console again without and it was fine (and has been fine ever since) 

Seems the SEAGATE Firecuda 530 M.2 storage (with heatsink) I have in it has given up then. Fucksakes. Bought it from Currys - wish me luck! This has lasted just a few days shy of one complete month.

I've no idea why the M.2 drive was so hot, probably console was on the sum total of 5/10 minutes if that before it initially started playing up. After it cooled down I plugged it back in again and booted the PS5 - just long enough to go into settings and attempt a reformat of the M.2 storage - this worked OK with no issues. Then I started to re-install something to it and about 2 minutes into it the console powered itself off again.

Anyone else read reports of something like this happening? 

23 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Aiming with left trigger and shooting with the right trigger is awful now?

Better throw 95% of games in the bin 🥴

The mechanics of shooting a gun are awful, not sure if you’ve noticed in shooting games over the past 30 years - some do it really well and others bad - unless of course the sublime mechanics of shooting a gun in BF, COD, R6:S are all the same to you as playing TLU….

Yeah but the gunplay in Last of Us is considered very good and the sequel is best in class as far as 3rd person shooters go. In fact it's way better than all those games you listed because the focus on semi-automatics rather than machine gun go brrrrr means you actually have to aim and make your shots count. Then you've got the awesome hit reaction / weapon feedback and gore , as opposed to a little white X that pops up going you dun it until the floppy ragdoll kicks in.

Only Remake 2 comes close to selling the power of the weapons and the fun factor.

5 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Yeah but the gunplay in Last of Us is considered very good and the sequel is best in class as far as 3rd person shooters go. In fact it's way better than all those games you listed because the focus on semi-automatics rather than machine gun go brrrrr means you actually have to aim and make your shots count. Then you've got the awesome hit reaction / weapon feedback and gore , as opposed to a little white X that pops up going you dun it until the floppy ragdoll kicks in.

Only Remake 2 comes close to selling the power of the weapons and the fun factor.

TLOU is poor hence they completely reworked it for the sequel…

Its the flow of it, the weight of the guns and the accuracy / taking time over shots part is pretty decent but its awkward to move around and line up and the auto aim drag is very old skool in feel - its a game I ended up really liking and almost falling in love with but elements of playing the thing just took the shine of it. The sequel plays much better but I was silly and finished the original, DLC and then went into 2 and after a while just grew weary of it - not the games fault and I look forward to going back to it again,

They pretty much just lifted and shifted the gunplay mechanics from Uncharted and it kinda works ok because you're not shooting all that much in TLOU, really. Especially not compared to Uncharted where it's a key gameplay thing and feels all the worse as a result. I'd described the shooting in TLOU as 'functional' but it's certainly nothing to write home about. 

4 hours ago, englishbob said:

Seems the SEAGATE Firecuda 530 M.2 storage (with heatsink) I have in it has given up then. Fucksakes. Bought it from Currys - wish me luck! This has lasted just a few days shy of one complete month.

I've no idea why the M.2 drive was so hot, probably console was on the sum total of 5/10 minutes if that before it initially started playing up. After it cooled down I plugged it back in again and booted the PS5 - just long enough to go into settings and attempt a reformat of the M.2 storage - this worked OK with no issues. Then I started to re-install something to it and about 2 minutes into it the console powered itself off again.

Is the drive's heatsink built-in, or did you attach one? The latter's easy enough to do but I know some people have made the mistake of not checking for plastic wrapping that's supposed to be peeled off, meaning the heatsink isn't actually conducting any heat.

If the heatsink came pre-attached I'd guess you just got unlucky with a faulty drive.