IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

21 hours ago, Quest said:

Probably a question that no one can really answer, but do we think Sony will announce a revision of the hardware any time soon? Thinking more along the lines of a slim than a pro version.

Should I just buy one now?

Doubt it. From what I can see, the PS5 is so stupendously huge (largely, ho-ho) because of its massive fan. Barring some new internals that produce a lot less heat, there seems to be little they could do with the design right now. 

I’m just waiting on them doing a revision of the controller that doesn’t have a battery life of a couple of seconds. I swear it’s all a fucking ploy to get me to buy a second one.

That said, their pulse headsets have a fairly crap battery life too, so much so that I’m most likely flogging them to pick up yet another set of Steel Series ones.

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

I’m just waiting on them doing a revision of the controller that doesn’t have a battery life of a couple of seconds. I swear it’s all a fucking ploy to get me to buy a second one.

That said, their pulse headsets have a fairly crap battery life too, so much so that I’m most likely flogging them to pick up yet another set of Steel Series ones.

I’m as cynical as they come with Sony but a dual pad and charger setup is essential on a PS5 as it was on the PS4 - its 100% intended as you could get a vastly bigger battery in there (and people have with no modification)

How much do you need wireless on the headphone front? Now you can just plus headphones into the pad and get decent sound (unlike PS4) i dont see the point of wireless when a decent wired pair sound waaaaay better!

12 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

How much do you need wireless on the headphone front? Now you can just plus headphones into the pad and get decent sound (unlike PS4) i dont see the point of wireless when a decent wired pair sound waaaaay better!

Technically the headphones are still using a wireless signal though, as the controller isn’t plugged into the console directly.

Not sure about the Sony Pulse ones but the Xbox Wireless headset is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, PikaStu said:

Technically the headphones are still using a wireless signal though, as the controller isn’t plugged into the console directly.

Not sure about the Sony Pulse ones but the Xbox Wireless headset is pretty good.

Indeed but you have decent speakers on wired headphones and none of the money has gone into the battery / wireless  etc etc so a £10 pair or wired cans outperform Sony and MS headphones let alone spending a decent amount - the wireless signal from the pad to console is decent this gen (I assume due to needing to be higher bandwidth for the spacial audio stuff) 

7 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Doubt it. From what I can see, the PS5 is so stupendously huge (largely, ho-ho) because of its massive fan. Barring some new internals that produce a lot less heat, there seems to be little they could do with the design right now. 

I dunno. MS managed to not make a ridiculously huge and ugly console of similar power with the Series X.

On 31/07/2022 at 14:50, Quest said:

This is a good point actually. I'm naturally inclined to pick up the disc version but I've had a Series X for over a year and the only disc I've ever put in the drive is the 360 version of Nier. 

Me too, but I have Gamepass. Big first party PlayStation games won’t come to PS Plus Hyper Edition; meanwhile, I’ve ended up with lots of PS5 games on disk because I got them them in sales. 

16 hours ago, JPL said:

I dunno. MS managed to not make a ridiculously huge and ugly console of similar power with the Series X.

I think you’ll find in terms of volume they are pretty much the same. Aesthetic preferences aside 

18 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

so a £10 pair or wired cans outperform Sony and MS headphones let alone spending a decent amount

I have no idea on the latest Sony ones, but the current MS headset is actually really good - it's certainly not totally outperformed by a standard set of £10 headphones IMO.

44 minutes ago, PaB said:

I think you’ll find in terms of volume they are pretty much the same. Aesthetic preferences aside 

Nah, nowhere near.

The PS5 is 39x10.4x26cm, giving a volume of 10545.6cm cubed.

The Series X is 15.1x15.1x30.1cm, giving a volume of 6863.1cm cubed.

58 minutes ago, JPL said:

Nah, nowhere near.

The PS5 is 39x10.4x26cm, giving a volume of 10545.6cm cubed.

The Series X is 15.1x15.1x30.1cm, giving a volume of 6863.1cm cubed.

Oh bigger difference than I thought. 

19 hours ago, SMD said:

Is there anyway to plug in headphones via USB? I can do it on the PS4 but it doesn't seem to work on PS5. Or maybe I'm missing a setting?

USB audio is supported, but not every device will be recognised; in general I believe UAC1 hardware works whilst UAC2 won't. I'd have thought whatever solution you used on PS4 would still work, though.

So yes, there is a way. Unless you're an audiophile looking to research and spend a decent amount, though, you're probably better off just plugging your headphones into the DualSense; the quality is a lot better than the DualShock 4.

1 hour ago, Ferine said:

USB audio is supported, but not every device will be recognised; in general I believe UAC1 hardware works whilst UAC2 won't. I'd have thought whatever solution you used on PS4 would still work, though.

So yes, there is a way. Unless you're an audiophile looking to research and spend a decent amount, though, you're probably better off just plugging your headphones into the DualSense; the quality is a lot better than the DualShock 4.

Does it still stutter though? The constant cut-outs I've always (always) suffered from using a wired connection in joypads (both Xbox and PS) were one of the main reasons I went all wireless. It still happens on occasion but nowhere near as much.

36 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Although I wonder how much of that is the ridiculous fins, and not the core case.

Whichever way you look at it, either from an industrial design perspective or aesthetically, it’s a terrible design.

I really hope the do a redesign at some point. I’d be all over a PS5 slim.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Whichever way you look at it, either from an industrial design perspective or aesthetically, it’s a terrible design.

I really hope the do a redesign at some point. I’d be all over a PS5 slim.

The industrial design perspective is the aesthetic. 

I actually don’t mind it at all and find it easier to house in my entertainment unit than the Series X, which really demands to be placed vertically due to its design. It never feels quite right on its side due to fan placement. 

34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The industrial design perspective is the aesthetic. 

I actually don’t mind it at all and find it easier to house in my entertainment unit than the Series X, which really demands to be placed vertically due to its design. It never feels quite right on its side due to fan placement. 

Industrial design is primarily how the thing is designed to fit together. Yes, this ends up bleeding into the aesthetic, but that's something that should come after. Form follows function.

Also, there's nothing at all wrong with placing your Series X on its side. It was designed to go both ways.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Does it still stutter though? The constant cut-outs I've always (always) suffered from using a wired connection in joypads (both Xbox and PS) were one of the main reasons I went all wireless. It still happens on occasion but nowhere near as much.

I don’t get it on either PS5 or series X - it was not viable on PS4 due to drops and crap audio so I ran a Astro mixamp setup, went wireless on new consoles (Steelseries7x) but then tried my wired headphones and they are night and day better with zero issues - I had a few drops on the Steelseries 7x but not had any via the pad after hundreds of hours use across both machines!

4 hours ago, rgraves said:

I have no idea on the latest Sony ones, but the current MS headset is actually really good - it's certainly not totally outperformed by a standard set of £10 headphones IMO.

I can get a pair of these with points so may put that to the test!

21 minutes ago, JPL said:

Industrial design is primarily how the thing is designed to fit together. Yes, this ends up bleeding into the aesthetic, but that's something that should come after. Form follows function.

Also, there's nothing at all wrong with placing your Series X on its side. It was designed to go both ways.

I think Series X is fine but I don’t like it sideways, the PS5 looks good both orientations though - yeah it’s a bit fucking weird but I quite like that too. 

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

I think Series X is fine but I don’t like it sideways, the PS5 looks good both orientations though - yeah it’s a bit fucking weird but I quite like that too. 

It’s good if you like it, but it’s massively divisive and I fall on the side of hating the look of it to the point I’ll do without one for now.

It’s no bad thing really, as I’ll have loads of decent games waiting for me when I finally get one.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

I thought PS5 was weird at first but like it now, even though the fucker is too tall to fit into my cabinet.

The Series S I admire, not due to the design (which is DULL) but how small and quiet it is.

17 hours ago, JPL said:

This is very subjective so I try to stay out of these sort of ‘discussions’, but I’m taking the bait this time. I also realize I’m quoting the wrong post as this one is not comparing the two machines, but your original post did so I’m basically responding to that. The series X looks like a bin. What’s so great about that design? One of our own members even mistook it for a urinal.

26 minutes ago, Darwock said:

This is very subjective so I try to stay out of these sort of ‘discussions’, but I’m taking the bait this time. I also realize I’m quoting the wrong post as this one is not comparing the two machines, but your original post did so I’m basically responding to that. The series X looks like a bin. What’s so great about that design? One of our own members even mistook it for a urinal.

I wasn’t originally discussing the aesthetics of the consoles, but the industrial design and you can see from the figures I quoted somewhere upthread, that the Series X manages to cram in roughly the same internals in a much smaller unit. To me that is better design.

As for the aesthetics, of course that’s subjective, but I prefer the more minimal, design-led looks of the Series consoles. They feel more mature and considered to me. They’re very reminiscent of Dieter Rams and Jonny Ive, which, for me at least, is a massive plus. It also fits in well with my other hifi equipment, which is a bonus, as I don’t have anything hid away.

Like I said though, I’d love a PS5, but not in its current design iteration. Whether I’ll have to bite the bullet at some point to play the games is another matter, but I’ll hold out as long as I can for a redesign. Good for you if you like the current design though. I’m not trying to say anyone is wrong, just giving my own personal opinion.

I understand where the poster was coming from re: xbox series x looking weird on its side, to me you don't really get consumer electronics in that form factor. Standing up it's like a speaker so doesn't offend me!

2 hours ago, Giddas said:

I understand where the poster was coming from re: xbox series x looking weird on its side, to me you don't really get consumer electronics in that form factor. Standing up it's like a speaker so doesn't offend me!

My amp, decks, mixer, etc beg to differ! They’d look weird stood up vertically though, mind!

3 hours ago, JPL said:

I wasn’t originally discussing the aesthetics of the consoles, but the industrial design and you can see from the figures I quoted somewhere upthread, that the Series X manages to cram in roughly the same internals in a much smaller unit. To me that is better design.

As for the aesthetics, of course that’s subjective, but I prefer the more minimal, design-led looks of the Series consoles. They feel more mature and considered to me. They’re very reminiscent of Dieter Rams and Jonny Ive, which, for me at least, is a massive plus. It also fits in well with my other hifi equipment, which is a bonus, as I don’t have anything hid away.

Like I said though, I’d love a PS5, but not in its current design iteration. Whether I’ll have to bite the bullet at some point to play the games is another matter, but I’ll hold out as long as I can for a redesign. Good for you if you like the current design though. I’m not trying to say anyone is wrong, just giving my own personal opinion.

I think the PS5 looks more modern in that sense, from a design perspective, whereas the Series X is just a black box. Even speakers these days are moving away from that form factor and using more curves. So I think the design choice they’ve gone with, whilst weird from a console pov, is actually in keeping with more modern trends. 

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive