IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

My PS5 arrived, I set it up (horizontally, as it wouldn't fit vertically) and have just spent the last few days setting up the system and downloading games from my account.  I was pleasantly surprised that the system automatically set the USB Hard Drive for PS4 storage, and that free upgrades to the PS5 version were offered for some of my other PS4 games.

I like the interface overall so far, but one fly in the ointment is that the download speeds on PSN are just as bad as they were on the PS4.  I'd gotten used to the zippy speeds on the Xbox Series S so this is definitely a step back.

I think I'll go for the PS5 media remote and see if this can function as my all-in-one streaming box.  I tried to do that with the Series S, but gave it up because the Xbox YouTube app had audio desynching issues.

On 10/08/2022 at 11:25, layten said:

Finally got around to unboxing and setting up the Pulse 3D headset yesterday (AC unit was making a racket #firstworldproblems), and I was surprised that the audio quality wasn’t shit. Which is about the highest praise I can think of for a set of cheap wireless headphones. Not a patch on the HD650’s I use on the PC, but certainly good enough for a spot of GT7. :) 

I 't use headsets for years, but really like this as a cheap(ish) set of headphones. Once i'd heard the Spatial audio on my iphone it pushed me to get this set.

In other news I grabbed an M.2 SSD from Amazon for 109, the WD Black one with a heatsink and now have more games on my PS5 than I will ever be able to play (I already have a 2TB USB drive for it). But actually being able to have my PS5 games installed at once is great.

Lads, quick question:

Is a PS5 worth buying? I want to play Returnal, Demon Souls, R&C, some exclusives last and current gen. That new mid tier of PS+ looks perfect for me.

I have a four year old but stilll relatively powerful PC (2080ti, 32gb, 9700k) but honestly prefer to 'properly' aka non-indie game on the couch most the time. I have a Series S. Seri3s S is mainly a retro machine though due to Retroarch.

Being honest, would you recommend it as a purchase?

My heart and head is just chanting Returnal which is basically my dream game. Can get a decent deal with Horizon, GT, 12 months of PS+ middle tier and the console.

39 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Lads, quick question:

Is a PS5 worth buying? I want to play Returnal, Demon Souls, R&C, some exclusives last and current gen. That new mid tier of PS+ looks perfect for me.

I have a four year old but stilll relatively powerful PC (2080ti, 32gb, 9700k) but honestly prefer to 'properly' aka non-indie game on the couch most the time. I have a Series S. Seri3s S is mainly a retro machine though due to Retroarch.

My heart and head is just chanting Returnal which is basically my dream game. Can get a decent deal with Horizon, GT, 12 months of PS+ middle tier and the console.

I’m biased because I fucking love Returnal but as with any console, it’s all about the games. If there’s several that you like the look of then go for it. Especially now they’re included in PS+

21 hours ago, Jarik said:

My PS5 arrived, I set it up (horizontally, as it wouldn't fit vertically) and have just spent the last few days setting up the system and downloading games from my account.  I was pleasantly surprised that the system automatically set the USB Hard Drive for PS4 storage, and that free upgrades to the PS5 version were offered for some of my other PS4 games.

I like the interface overall so far, but one fly in the ointment is that the download speeds on PSN are just as bad as they were on the PS4.  I'd gotten used to the zippy speeds on the Xbox Series S so this is definitely a step back.

I think I'll go for the PS5 media remote and see if this can function as my all-in-one streaming box.  I tried to do that with the Series S, but gave it up because the Xbox YouTube app had audio desynching issues.

Anecdotal, but I think this may be ISP related. I’m on Gigabit fibre from Zen and the PSN download speeds are super-fast: Returnal in a little over 10-12 minutes.

You should also put the console in standby (make sure downloads when in standby are switched on) and connect with a LAN cable to maximise speeds. I haven’t noticed any difference between the PS and Xbox speeds. 

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Anecdotal, but I think this may be ISP related. I’m on Gigabit fibre from Zen and the PSN download speeds are super-fast: Returnal in a little over 10-12 minutes.

The PS5 is on the same network as the Series S was (I only use one console online at a time) and the download rate is definitely slower.  The bottleneck would seem to be the console, PSN, or both.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

You should also put the console in standby (make sure downloads when in standby are switched on) and connect with a LAN cable to maximise speeds. I haven’t noticed any difference between the PS and Xbox speeds. 

I'll try that.  I have much more confidence in standby or 'Rest Mode' states than I used to with both the Switch's and Series S' implementations, and I would hope that Sony have taken notes.

24 minutes ago, Jarik said:

The PS5 is on the same network as the Series S was (I only use one console online at a time) and the download rate is definitely slower.  The bottleneck would seem to be the console, PSN, or both.

As I said, it’s just my experience, but there’s nothing to say your ISP isn’t doing something to shape or throttle psn traffic, depending on the relative load it places on their infrastructure.

11 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Lads, quick question:

If Returnal sounds like your perfect game then it almost definitely will be, so yeah I’d say go for it, the new PS Plus is really good too, loads of stuff worth playing on there. 

I'm considering upgrading my PS Plus Essential to Extra so I can play the games on there, but I'm wondering if it spells out anywhere just what the deal is with the games you get through that service.  Is it like the games that have come to PS Plus previously where as long as you add it to your account and remain subscribed you can download and play them at any time, or is it more of a Gamepass situation where games can leave the service and you lose access to them?

8 hours ago, Jarik said:

I'm considering upgrading my PS Plus Essential to Extra so I can play the games on there, but I'm wondering if it spells out anywhere just what the deal is with the games you get through that service.  Is it like the games that have come to PS Plus previously where as long as you add it to your account and remain subscribed you can download and play them at any time, or is it more of a Gamepass situation where games can leave the service and you lose access to them?

Gamepass.

On 13/08/2022 at 00:29, Dark Soldier said:

Lads, quick question:

I would say yes. I got mine yesterday for similar reasons. Returnal, Tsushima, FF7 etc. I honestly wasn't expecting to like it so much, lot of negativity about the UI, but, it's very nice I think. Better than PS4 and dare I say XBOX. Loading times are gone forever, you just can't go back now. Controller is possibly the best I've ever used. 

Absolutely hate the design of it though, but it's not a dealbreaker.

I was considering getting a series X too but my PC is pretty high end and all the big games come to GP Ultimate so there's no point really. Have a One S for older stuff.

13 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Gamepass.

Gotcha.  It makes sense, and I hope Sony has taken notes from Gamepass when it comes to giving warning when a game is going to leave and offering a discount if you want to buy it.  I don't believe either of those things are there at present (though I could be wrong about the discount) but I hope Sony continues to improve the PS Plus interface to be a slick as Gamepass's.  It's a pain that there's no 'Play Later' list on PS Plus, so I've just been Wishlisting everything instead.

I dunno about this Gamepass thing? Did they say explicitly? As all PS+ games used to be downloadable and yours to play till you unsubscribe. Even something like Persona 5 they took off their PS+ collection but it’s still in my library.

6 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

I dunno about this Gamepass thing? Did they say explicitly? As all PS+ games used to be downloadable and yours to play till you unsubscribe. Even something like Persona 5 they took off their PS+ collection but it’s still in my library.

The ps+ games are yours while you subscribe it’s the other tier games that come and go as they do on gamepass - that was defi in the launch details.

Oh yeah forget it’s supposed to work like  the old PS now. Tbh I have no idea which games are in which tier now and which ones I can digitally hoard and never get around to playing. Probably the 1st party ones are safe.

I wish the games had a date on when they are leaving PS+ Subscription my fear is starting a long game which usually takes me a few months and it leaving the service a few weeks in. I'll stick with the smaller indie titles I know I can complete in a few days.

9 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Oh yeah forget it’s supposed to work like  the old PS now. Tbh I have no idea which games are in which tier now and which ones I can digitally hoard and never get around to playing. Probably the 1st party ones are safe.

And if you don't download them at the time I assume you'll not be able to play them when they leave.

On 12/08/2022 at 10:33, Jarik said:

I’ve found the PS5 download speeds to be ok thus far, but you could always try the trick of starting a download, pausing it, then immediately resuming. This often seemed to result in a faster speed on PS4, though fortunately I haven’t had to resort to it yet on the 5. 

2 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

I’ve found the PS5 download speeds to be ok thus far, but you could always try the trick of starting a download, pausing it, then immediately resuming. This often seemed to result in a faster speed on PS4, though fortunately I haven’t had to resort to it yet on the 5. 

I tried that, and it works.  No idea why, but it works. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my cousins messaged me saying he son, who plays COD and Fortnite on his PS5, has asked if he can get a keyboard and mouse.

a) is this really possible?

b) I presume he’ll want wireless. Can anyone recommend some that won’t share the same frequency or whatever, please?

And are there likely to be any problems? My hopes are to send links to recommendations and then they’re fine. I’d rather not be free tech support for a console I don’t have or games I don’t play, if possible.

oh I’ll ask her budget.

Outside of the swappable sticks and physical trigger travel limits this seems like stuff that should just already be able to do on an existing controller. Maybe not the on device profiles but they could easily be put in the cloud and synced and used from anywhere.

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive