PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

1 minute ago, teddymeow said:

Two different types of back buttons:

1. Half-dome

2. Paddles

Depends on price but I like the look of it.

£100 minimum I would guess - not quite Elite pricing but between that and normal dual sense.

I bought the paddle add on thing for the PS4 pad and it wasnt amazing due to the position of the ‘paddles’ and these look suspiciously similarly placed…

When the PS5 first launched there was a collection of games you got when you subscribed to psplus, 20 games or something like that, is that still available to people who buy a PS5 today or was it a launch offer?

1 hour ago, Mallet said:

When the PS5 first launched there was a collection of games you got when you subscribed to psplus, 20 games or something like that, is that still available to people who buy a PS5 today or was it a launch offer?

the PlayStation Plus Collection is still a thing

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/playstation/153867-what-is-playstation-plus-ps4-ps5-subscription-service.amphtml

Here are the games available in the PlayStation Plus Collection (as of 23 August 2022):

Batman: Arkham Knight

Battlefield 1

Bloodborne

Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Zombies Chronicles Edition

Crash Banidcoot N. Sane Trilogy

Days Gone

Detroit: Become Human

Fallout 4

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition

God of War

Infamous Second Son

Monster Hunter World

Mortal Kombat X

Ratchet & Clank

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

The Last Guardian

The Last of Us Remastered

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Until Dawn

nope

In the months ahead, we look forward to sharing more details about the DualSense Edge wireless controller, including launch timing, and can’t wait to see how the PS5 community unlocks the full potential of the controller’s customization options.

*boak* 

Christmas you'd think.

RRP going up pretty much everywhere other than the US, because of course:

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/08/25/ps5-price-to-increase-in-select-markets-due-to-global-economic-environment-including-high-inflation-rates/

The global economic environment is a challenge that many of you around the world are no doubt experiencing. We're seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries. Based on these challenging economic conditions, SIE has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price (RRP) of PlayStation 5 in select markets across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), Latin America (LATAM), as well as Canada. There will be no price increase in the United States.

The new RRPs below are effective immediately unless otherwise noted.*

Europe

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99

PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99

UK

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99

PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99

Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥54,980 yen

PS5 Digital Edition – ¥44,980 yen

China

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan

PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan

Australia

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95

PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95

Mexico

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999

PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499

Canada

PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99

PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99

While this price increase is a necessity given the current global economic environment and its impact on SIE's business, our top priority continues to be improving the PS5 supply situation so that as many players as possible can experience everything that PS5 offers and what's still to come.

Thank you for your continued support.

33 minutes ago, Quest said:

Provides a nice overview of where PlayStation is in a comfortable lead then.

Waiting for Microsoft to simply lower both X and S with the same amount. Worldwide.

actually maybe we should split this off into its own thread so more people can see the news and separate it out from general ps5 discussion?

@ mods?

Expect to see more of this for lots of electronic goods. It doesn’t surprise me In the least .

it’s not money grabbing , it’s the reality of the components / commodities market 

6 minutes ago, SMD said:

aren't component prices down since the start of the year? all i saw was that tsmc were putting their prices up but everywhere else is down

No , they aren’t. It really is Wild West out there. Everyone is scrabbling for components. And that goes right down to the wafer level. 

it’s not just components though. It’s the cost of commodities , copper goes up, PCBA prices increase , pretty much all raw materials have all gone up. We have unprecedented levels of shortage and price increases . 

And when you have to spot buy your way out of it , then I have seen 1000% increases over standard cost .

2 minutes ago, PaB said:

No , they aren’t. It really is Wild West out there. Everyone is scrabbling for components. And that goes right down to the wafer level. 

it’s not just components though. It’s the cost of commodities , copper goes up, PCBA prices increase , pretty much all raw materials have all gone up. We have unprecedented levels of shortage and price increases . 

And when you have to spot buy your way out of it , then I have seen 1000% increases over standard cost .

oh yeah i wasn't considering spot prices, i'd be amazed if these companies were having to dip into those markets.

the whole inflation thing in general has sent my head spinning because everywhere seems like consumption is dipping but we're constantly being told demand is outstripping supply.

are we still dealing with all the pent up demand from covid as well as the shock from stopping production or has that demand been met and it's just the knock on effects of everyone raising prices constantly?

I knew this was a possibility but not good. Sony want more consoles out there to sell services and get in those royalties. Nintendo also can't produce as many consoles as they want to.

Commodities market has gone to hell. 

I don't own a PS5 and not planning to for some time anyway btw. 

4 minutes ago, Windowlicker said:

Sparing America the price rise is more insulting than the rise itself.

It's a £30 rise here, but the rise in the EU is equivalent to £42. BREXIT DIVIDEND, BEBE! 😅

Just now, Eighthours said:

It's a £30 rise here, but the rise in the EU is equivalent to £42. BREXIT DIVIDEND, BEBE! 😅

then that saving evaporates as you switch your ps5 on and your energy bill eats it up in 5 seconds compared to a french ps5 owner

16 minutes ago, Windowlicker said:

Sparing America the price rise is more insulting than the rise itself.

Pound has dropped from $1.35 to $1.18 (14%). Euro has dropped from $1.2 to $1 (20%).

I've jumped on Amazon's invite offer in the hopes I'll get one for the lower price. There's been a few things I'd have liked to cover in the mag (Returnal being one) so looking forward to getting my invitation accepted.

I can’t say I’m surprised by this? Microsoft’s unequivocal public reason for the Series S is that they do not expect to be able to reduce the manufacturing cost of the Series X over its life cycle. Period. The PS5 is in the same technological boat. Inflation was inevitably going to mean that these consoles steadily crept upwards in price instead.

1 hour ago, SMD said:

then that saving evaporates as you switch your ps5 on and your energy bill eats it up in 5 seconds compared to a french ps5 owner

😀

Meanwhile a German owner turns it on in December and... nothing happens. Meanwhile, Putin laughs maniacally as he fiddles with taps.