PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

55 minutes ago, footle said:

They will be. You'd not contract to buy them in the new Taiwan dollar.

So the excuses so far are weakened currency against the dollar and rising cost of components. Doesn't explain why the US price is unaffected.

15 minutes ago, Windowlicker said:

So the excuses so far are weakened currency against the dollar and rising cost of components. Doesn't explain why the US price is unaffected.

It's the biggest market, and probably the one that's most contested. 
Not that that excuses a price hike in the other territories, but it's probably that. 

59 minutes ago, Windowlicker said:

The components to make the console are all priced in USD. 

Going to use Sony's reasons for increasing their prices to demand a pay rise:

“I'm seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries,” said vimster, average member of the public. “Based on these challenging economic conditions, I have made the difficult decision to demand an increase in my recommended retail price (RRP) of labour in select markets.”

Didn't work, sadly. 

1 hour ago, Windowlicker said:

It’s an odd one that , because the same inflationary pressure will be on products sold in the US as they are in the rest of the world . I can only assume it’s a marketing driven decision there to accept the hit on gross margin ( what little there is) . At least in the short term. 

The  exchange rate does affect things but that gets factored in right at the start. EU pricing will have catered for fluctuations built into the sell price. 

it is very rare for exchange rates to drive a price increase once you have set a sell price . So I would say this is probably down to It costing  10-20% more to build a PS5 at this stage than forecast in the product lifecycle, purely down to the cost of components / raw materials. Obviously Sony see this as a long term problem as if they could ride it out , I am sure they would ; raising sell price is a last resort. 

Just as a side note , of course you have Long Term Agreements with all your suppliers on components , but even LTAs have a fixed term, and when it comes to renegotiation , the prices at the moment only go in one direction , and the terms are for a much shorter period. 

it really is unprecedented , I cannot express just how dramatic the shortage / cost situation is with electronics manufacture . It’s just unlike anything I have ever seen. Intel, microchip, Texas Instruments, analog devices , LEM, etc etc  companies supplying usually readily available components are now on allocation, and the only way out is to buy your way out. ( or exert massive pressure, and if you supply components to apple, Sony , Samsung,  nintendo, ms, VAG, Mercedes , Siemens etc, who do you decide to piss off?) 

We were supposed to be at the “peak” of the crisis in February . But Ukraine, extended covid lockdowns in China ( when they lock down , they lock down) and the automotive market buying up everything in sight means this peak is more of an extended plateau, with no end in sight at the moment. 

If you want an indicator of just how messed up things are, talk about this for unprecedented - your car going UP in price.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/20/one-in-five-secondhand-cars-in-uk-cost-more-than-new-models

"The bizarre spectacle of nearly-new cars selling for more than their brand-new price has been fuelled by buyers having to join long waiting lists for new cars, prompting them to head to the secondhand market."

All down to the semiconductor shortage. And this article was pre-Ukraine.

I bought a Series S because my Xbox One died and it’s looks like that will be my only new console of this gen. Hopefully my creaking PS4 can hold out for a few more years

So if I've gone for an Amazon invitation how long do they take to arrive?

I'm most likely not have the electricity to run it in six months time, but I really want to play The Last Of Us Part 1

I FINALLY HAVE A PS5! 😄

It offered to copy everything from my PS4 (I declined).  I've been playing around with it and it does seem slick, it'll even let me control the PS4 if it was on and linked (I haven't tried it yet).  Supposedly I can play PS4 games with the Dual Sense, or pair Dual Shock 4s to it.  Some of the Media apps are PS4 versions (e.g. Disney+), apparently, and some of the games are PS4 versions but can be freely bought and played on PS5.

This has me thinking, what's stopping me from actually copying everything over from the PS4, then boxing up the PS4 and just playing all my PS4 games (download and disc) on the PS5?  Is there any reason why I should keep the PS4 around?  Oh here's one - the PS4 camera isn't compatible (although it actually is albeit with a free adapter if you can prove to Sony that you bought the PSVR unit).  Anything else?

Some PS4 games perform worse or have glitches, if you care about that kind of thing. Personally I kept mine for all the PS4 games with no noticeable benefit on PS5 so I keep the wear and tear down to a minimum.

I kept my PS4 pro assuming it would be useful for something, PSVR or something but after a short while it was clear its a pile of crap compared to the PS5 and zero point to have both - just the powering on time is enough to know this - must cost loads more to tun as an hour of PS4 gaming on the PS5 lasts an hour, on the PS4 its 3 hours when adding on loading time ;) 

Even the shocking looks of the PS5 can not diminish the benefits - you can even use a PS4 pad to reduce wear (never knew this was a thing) if that worries you.

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the look of the PS5. Suspect it will age as badly as the Tate Modern Brutalist Brick (PS2), George Forman Grill (PS3), and Alien Temple (PS4 launch) but it looks quite nice in the AV cabinet.

What’s that crazy zigzag camo they put on ships at sea, and yet to be unveiled prototype cars that breaks up the silhouette and makes it hard to discern the shape of a thing? They should do one like that.

- dazzle camouflage (although I think there’s a modern version)

13 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

There’s something truly awful about the PS5’s looks. I can’tput my finger on what makes it worse than other horrible looking consoles, possibly the size on top of the fugly.

Is that camo colour the only colour apart from white?

How could you miss hot pink?

afbeelding.thumb.png.e8aae92bf3bc5c12d1e05400142a8a4e.png

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

Thank for the belated updates. I've been totally out of the PS5 loop.

The black one looks better but still think I'll wait for the mini.

It'll probably be the size of a Mini and cost as much.

16 hours ago, Strafe said:

I quite like the look of the PS5. Suspect it will age as badly as the Tate Modern Brutalist Brick (PS2), George Forman Grill (PS3), and Alien Temple (PS4 launch) but it looks quite nice in the AV cabinet.

The PS2 is, by far, the best looking PlayStation console to date. It still looks excellent, especially in vertical mode.

5 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

The PS2 is, by far, the best looking PlayStation console to date. It still looks excellent, especially in vertical mode.

Nah, either the PSOne or PS3 Slim.