PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

23 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

PSOne is a banger, PS3 slim - wtf, looks like a router so one assumes same designer as the PS5

PS3 slim is let down by the finish, if it was glossy like the original it would look so much better. It's underrated IMO cos of that stupid finish.

17 hours ago, Strafe said:

I quite like the look of the PS5. Suspect it will age as badly as the Tate Modern Brutalist Brick (PS2), George Forman Grill (PS3), and Alien Temple (PS4 launch) but it looks quite nice in the AV cabinet.

All PlayStations look pretty horrible, with the George Foreman grill probably the best of an unimpressive bunch

34 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think the best looking console was probably the Xbox one X.

That just shows that you've never seen a Wondermega

The original iterations of all the PlayStation consoles are - in my opinion - absolutely incredible design classics. 

They strive to be weird and exotic, and aimed more at the early adopters looking to obtain a weird and cool-looking futuristic device. 

Each slim design is totally designed to look more mass-market, safe and conservative. I like them all considerably less. 

The new Xbox series consoles have strived this "blend into your TV set-up" nothingness from the start. 

The PS2 looked "better" because it wasn't as wacky. Maybe you could pry the logo off the front, put it horizontally in a cabinet and call it a DVD player. :P 

And they tried it again with the PS4 - so maybe they have this practice where every odd-numbered console is an aesthetic abomination...

13 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The original iterations of all the PlayStation consoles are - in my opinion - absolutely incredible design classics. 

They strive to be weird and exotic, and aimed more at the early adopters looking to obtain a weird and cool-looking futuristic device. 

Each slim design is totally designed to look more mass-market, safe and conservative. I like them all considerably less. 

The new Xbox series consoles have strived this "blend into your TV set-up" nothingness from the start. 

OG PS1, PS2 and PS3 all looked horrible under the telly. At least the PS4 launched with a design that looked like it dried to be functional but appealling. Ironically I think their best looking hardware was the Vita, so not really a good barometer of success.

I really like the look of the OG PlayStation, unlike any of the abominations after it it isn’t pretending to blend in (none of them do, they all look stupid next to any over AV equipment) and it looks fun - PSOne looks better of course, im stuck between which one to display!

19 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

it isn’t pretending to blend in (none of them do, they all look stupid next to any over AV equipment

What if my other AV equipment already looks stupid :quote: 

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yeah man I like how shit looks, I think my PS5 looks pretty cool in my set up, whereas the Xbox is a tad uncool. 

Another completely wrong opinion. It’ll be a design classic in the future.

Console designs have been in decline since they removed the volume slider and headphone socket from the Mega Drive. By now they should have illuminated graphic equalisers and a bass boost button.

27 minutes ago, Quest said:

Console designs have been in decline since they removed the volume slider and headphone socket from the Mega Drive. By now they should have illuminated graphic equalisers and a bass boost button.

Sony could bring back MEGABASS

If anyone else's DualSense has developed analogue drift, I was surprised to discover that WD-40 Contact Cleaner completely sorted both of my controllers out. I didn't expect it to be that effective without taking the shell off, yet all I did was press down on the sticks, spray into the gap using the straw nozzle, rotate the sticks for a bit then leave the cleaner to evaporate.

There's probably cheaper cleaner that would do the job just as well, but for £7.50 both my controllers now feel as good as new. Not sure I'll get though the can in my lifetime, either, though I'll definitely break it out for other types of controllers as well.

There's been a can of WD-40 in my kitchen since we moved into this house. Mainly for the door squeaks.

I read this, after trying to give away a faulty one in the For Free thread

Can I find the WD-40?

Can I fuck.

26 minutes ago, SeanR said:

There's been a can of WD-40 in my kitchen since we moved into this house. Mainly for the door squeaks.

I read this, after trying to give away a faulty one in the For Free thread

Can I find the WD-40?

Can I fuck.

Note that I specified their contact cleaner, which is basically aerosolised isopropyl alcohol, not the regular WD-40 lubricant. The latter might dislodge whatever's affecting the potentiometer, but it would also likely leave oily residue behind which could cause other issues.

I imagine a can of compressed air might be just as effective, if you happen to have one around for some reason.

16 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Note that I specified their contact cleaner, which is basically aerosolised isopropyl alcohol, not the regular WD-40 lubricant. The latter might dislodge whatever's affecting the potentiometer, but it would also likely leave oily residue behind which could cause other issues.

I imagine a can of compressed air might be just as effective, if you happen to have one around for some reason.

bought!

WD-40 Contact Cleaner is something everyone should have a can of. Even removes stubborn glue and such. I'd check whatever you're spraying it on doesn't mind isopropyl alcohol though, if you blast it all over a vintage guitar it'll fuck the finish up.

10 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

WD-40 Contact Cleaner is something everyone should have a can of. Even removes stubborn glue and such. I'd check whatever you're spraying it on doesn't mind isopropyl alcohol though, if you blast it all over a vintage guitar it'll fuck the finish up.

challenge accepted!