PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

Honestly buying a disc console was a mistake as I fell into the trap of buying games on disc I wasnt sure about because I could sell them on….. Ive bought 3 disc games, not liked any of them and sold them at a huge loss, I wouldn’t have bought them digitally and 2 of them are on the PS+ service.

46 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The rumour is that this is a new PS5 design coming out tale end of next year. 

If it's true, it's like the slim model, and to get it all small and slim they'll be removing the disc drive and offering it as an extra. 

That sounds absolutely perfect. A revised, smaller design with no disc drive plus a nice big library of games to go at by the end of next year is pretty much the best scenario I could have hoped for. I just hope it's true.

31 minutes ago, JPL said:

That sounds absolutely perfect. A revised, smaller design with no disc drive plus a nice big library of games to go at by the end of next year is pretty much the best scenario I could have hoped for. I just hope it's true.

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I wonder how much slimmer it might be bearing in mind you can already buy a PS5 sans disc drive. 

Excuse the junky video, but it looks like which each new revision of the PS5, they are attempting to shrink that motherboard. 
IMO, I do think a slim version of the PS5 is in development, but I'd absolutely not be holding my breath for a Pro model. 

38 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Excuse the junky video, but it looks like which each new revision of the PS5, they are attempting to shrink that motherboard. 
IMO, I do think a slim version of the PS5 is in development, but I'd absolutely not be holding my breath for a Pro model. 

Looking over that video, it really does show how badly designed the PS5 is compared to the Series X. Why is there so much space inside it? I'm hoping they've taken a look at the relatively compact design of the X and are working towards a Slim that has those design sensibilities.

Has this rumour actually been reported anywhere other than that site nobody's ever heard of though?

12 minutes ago, JPL said:

Looking over that video, it really does show how badly designed the PS5 is compared to the Series X. Why is there so much space inside it? I'm hoping they've taken a look at the relatively compact design of the X and are working towards a Slim that has those design sensibilities.

Has this rumour actually been reported anywhere other than that site nobody's ever heard of though?

It's really not badly designed at all. There's space inside it for cooling and air flow, also version 1 had a massive copper heatsink that they've been continually reducing. 
It is using a single motherboard where as the Series X is split into two with air flowing between them.

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's really not badly designed at all. There's space inside it for cooling and air flow, also version 1 had a massive copper heatsink that they've been continually reducing. 
It is using a single motherboard where as the Series X is split into two with air flowing between them.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I know the space is there for air flow, but if it was better designed they could have got those internals into a much smaller form.

Don't engage him @Kevvy Metal, he literally said the same thing over the entire PS4 generation. He's just wasting your time and ain't buying a PS5.

Anyway back on topic, with the stupid pricing of PS5 games I can see this being another way for Sony to try and nickel/dime us - obviously there is more of a loss with a disc game as they get 'unofficially' discounted and can be sold on. That's why my PS5 is the disc version, the drive of which I have used.... once. To test it works. We are probably more in the digital world than we realise at this point. Not a good thing with the exception of convenience.

I disagree. JPL and that guy on Twitter know better than hardware engineers

You can say the PS5 looks shit which is fine as that is subjective, but trying to argue from a hardware perspective as a clueless individual is pretty funny

7 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Don't engage him @Kevvy Metal, he literally said the same thing over the entire PS4 generation. He's just wasting your time and ain't buying a PS5.

What is this shit again man? Why would I not get a PS5? I just don’t like the look or size of the current iteration, but as soon as there’s a slim I’ll be all over it. Just like I did with the PS4.

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I know the space is there for air flow, but if it was better designed they could have got those internals into a much smaller form.

Shame they didn’t consult you, could have saved themselves a small fortune. 

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Shame they didn’t consult you, could have saved themselves a small fortune. 

Not my area of design really. Although I’d give it a go!

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Its a terrible thermal design and I can see that as someone who was very into PC overcloicking 20 years ago - they went for a cheap and inelegant design that clearly was sledge hammer to crack a nut to make sure it could cope. You want heat off the hot thing as quickly as possible and not to sit in too much metal as you get heat soak - you want it out as efficiently as possible and the PS5 is terrible at doing that

If you need evidence of that and dont want to accept my view (and who could blame you) then there are thermal strip down videos or more importantly Sony are fixing it as we go along - there is no die shrink they are just improving the efficiency of their thermal management.

Whether you want to get into console warz or not its clear to anyone that the Series X has a vastly better and more efficient cooling system leading to much better thermal management inside a smaller volume - its night and day but they made the same mistakes on the original Xbox One and had a similarly unelegant design as Sony do on the PS5 so there is hope for the next generation ;) 

I remember when it was first unveiled, I thought it looked just like those fake renders you used to see of yet-to-be-unveiled consoles. I'm still not used to how hideous it is.

The disc slot being where it is makes it impossible to see when the console is horizontal too. If you're looking down at the console and trying to put a disc in, you won't hit that slot first time. An utterly baffling design oversight there, and one that shows that the disc drive was a last -minute and under-thought decision.

7 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Its a terrible thermal design and I can see that as someone who was very into PC overcloicking 20 years ago - they went for a cheap and inelegant design that clearly was sledge hammer to crack a nut to make sure it could cope. You want heat off the hot thing as quickly as possible and not to sit in too much metal as you get heat soak - you want it out as efficiently as possible and the PS5 is terrible at doing that

If you need evidence of that and dont want to accept my view (and who could blame you) then there are thermal strip down videos or more importantly Sony are fixing it as we go along - there is no die shrink they are just improving the efficiency of their thermal management.

Whether you want to get into console warz or not its clear to anyone that the Series X has a vastly better and more efficient cooling system leading to much better thermal management inside a smaller volume - its night and day but they made the same mistakes on the original Xbox One and had a similarly unelegant design as Sony do on the PS5 so there is hope for the next generation ;) 

From my point of view as someone who just places them (sensibly) in my AV cabinet they both appear as effective as each other in that they are both near silent machines, so they must be doing something right. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

From my point of view as someone who just places them (sensibly) in my AV cabinet they both appear as effective as each other in that they are both near silent machines, so they must be doing something right. 

The outcome is fine but it’s like saying my 6l car getting 12mpg @ 70mph is no worse than a 2l car getting 60mpg @ 70mph as they are both doing 70mph….

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

The outcome is fine but it’s like saying my 6l car getting 12mpg @ 70mph is no worse than a 2l car getting 60mpg @ 70mph as they are both doing 70mph….

If the PS5 had a much bigger power draw for less output than the Series X, or the same, then yeah, but I don’t think that’s the case. 

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

If the PS5 had a much bigger power draw for less output than the Series X, or the same, then yeah, but I don’t think that’s the case. 

We are taking about efficiency of the thermal design - xbox wins that by a (measurable) mile - given the hardware itself is so similar power draw is going to be negligible but the measure you could use is head and noise, the xbox runs cooler and quieter in all tests.

You could also argue the less elegant Sony design is costing them more in raw materials and space needed within the case to deal with the inefficient cooling hence the need to use less copper, run it a bit hotter and increase the price…..

The big shoot out of the thermal designs also posed longevity concerns on the hardware within the PS5 - obv we are not really there yet esp as it was with a internal SSD upgrade causing most concern - given neither systems have any games not many need the upgrade ;)

33 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Oh wow man! Have you ever considered getting your CV in to SIE? It sounds like they could use your insights! 

With all the talent in this thread, rllmuk could of design something to rival both big player's in the console market! 

38 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Oh wow man! Have you ever considered getting your CV in to SIE? It sounds like they could use your insights! 

With all the talent in this thread, rllmuk could of design something to rival both big player's in the console market! 

I think you would do better there, they seem the company to like yes men!

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

We are taking about efficiency of the thermal design - xbox wins that by a (measurable) mile - given the hardware itself is so similar power draw is going to be negligible but the measure you could use is head and noise, the xbox runs cooler and quieter in all tests.

You could also argue the less elegant Sony design is costing them more in raw materials and space needed within the case to deal with the inefficient cooling hence the need to use less copper, run it a bit hotter and increase the price…..

The big shoot out of the thermal designs also posed longevity concerns on the hardware within the PS5 - obv we are not really there yet esp as it was with a internal SSD upgrade causing most concern - given neither systems have any games not many need the upgrade ;)

Is this what the console wars have come to? The Xbox outputs slightly less heat?

(And to be honest, given my heating bills that's not the advantage you think it is. I'm using my PS5 to heat my room).

5 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

Is this what the console wars have come to? The Xbox outputs slightly less heat?

(And to be honest, given my heating bills that's not the advantage you think it is. I'm using my PS5 to heat my room).

I’m not sure what console wars have got to do with it. We were just discussing the rumours of the PS5 Slim and a few people got a bit wound up over the design of the original model being a bit shit.

To caveat that, I think the actual console is brilliant, it’s just the look/size of it I’m not into, so the Slim is a rumour I like the sound of.