PlayStation 5 - Next gen is expensive

Eighthours

6 minutes ago, bear said:

I wonder if it could be the most literal "slim" console we've ever seen where they just make it the middle a little narrower so they can stay selling the same console covers. 

And risk not selling covers to the same people again?

2 hours ago, JPL said:

I’m not sure what console wars have got to do with it. We were just discussing the rumours of the PS5 Slim and a few people got a bit wound up over the design of the original model being a bit shit.

To caveat that, I think the actual console is brilliant, it’s just the look/size of it I’m not into, so the Slim is a rumour I like the sound of.

I think it will be diminishing returns for anyone hoping that one day we’ll see a tiny PS5 along the lines of a PStwo. Getting rid of the disc drive alone basically leaves you with a PS5 digital, and they’ve already reduced the size of the heat sink which you believe is poor design anyway. So it doesn’t leave them much room, if any, for anything else. 

The most important thing to me is that it’s quiet, and like any other console over time you just forget about what it looks like, it’s the pad and the TV you interact with after all. 

The thing that needs most improving is the UI which at times is unintuitive, not to mention their implementation of the new PS Plus, which is a bit of a mess frankly. 

10 hours ago, Stanley said:

The most important thing to me is that it’s quiet, and like any other console over time you just forget about what it looks like, it’s the pad and the TV you interact with after all. 

That’s my problem really, as all my AV equipment is out on a shelf and I’ve got nowhere to hide a PS5, so I’d like it to be as discreet as possible. First world problems and all that, but it’s why I’m hoping these rumours are true.

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

That’s my problem really, as all my AV equipment is out on a shelf and I’ve got nowhere to hide a PS5, so I’d like it to be as discreet as possible. First world problems and all that, but it’s why I’m hoping these rumours are true.

Perhaps a new AV unit is in order? Look, I have mine like this.

839DAE4D-A4A9-4F49-B3FB-9033D8EBB2CE.thumb.jpeg.f34f5295cb99ba7e4d0c7846109d5676.jpeg

I really like how it looks with its curves and what have you, and the colour, it suits other stuff I have.

And when I’m not using it I just close the door for a clean look.

FE1ED772-601C-47D9-815D-AED899761D2E.thumb.jpeg.4d3aca71cc26ef355b7a09007e87f6fc.jpeg

The Xbox is on the other side.

41B51B81-4F3E-4E17-A3F0-5971AF849BDB.thumb.jpeg.679831edfc83e860e2cab43bde8892ba.jpeg

I honestly think the PS5 looks nicer. 

23 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The rumour is that this is a new PS5 design coming out tale end of next year. 

It'll be the same as the current one but black, that's all.

(also, tail)

Playing your consoles with the cupboard doors open sounds like madness. 

Looking forward to a slimmer and quiter console.  I'll jump in as soon as it doesn't look so damn ugly. Size I'm not as fussed over.  Black or white box is fine by me.

22 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Looking forward to a slimmer and quiter console.  I'll jump in as soon as it doesn't look so damn ugly. Size I'm not as fussed over.  Black or white box is fine by me.

If I don't open the cupboards where my PS5 and SX are living, the heat could supply a small village. That and the fans sound like a Jumbo taking off.

16 hours ago, Stanley said:

I think it will be diminishing returns for anyone hoping that one day we’ll see a tiny PS5 along the lines of a PStwo. Getting rid of the disc drive alone basically leaves you with a PS5 digital, and they’ve already reduced the size of the heat sink which you believe is poor design anyway. So it doesn’t leave them much room, if any, for anything else.

image.png.dd6b54c7f733d938c416a27e55dadcf9.png

Get rid of the disk drive and the vast bulk of the heatsink (and the latest revision has much less heatsink than that) and you can surely get rid of much of the bulk of the console?

Even keeping the same fan, there's a lot of empty and unnecessary looking space there: it's not a series X tower where everything is deliberately packed in tightly to control airflow.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

It’s not the 90’s anymore, we don’t have to have everything on display. The PS5 already is quiet btw. 

We're probably only a few years away from people hiding their tv inside a cabinet again like the olden days.

8776e583ea1ba48b4c371c791161e932-1591267560.thumb.jpg.d6719098fe882177661207331a7d37d9.jpg

Like that, but they'll probably find a way to put a fucking herringbone pattern on it for some reason.

53 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s not the 90’s anymore, we don’t have to have everything on display. The PS5 already is quiet btw. 

You saying I live in the 90’s?!

8 hours ago, Stanley said:

Perhaps a new AV unit is in order? Look, I have mine like this.

839DAE4D-A4A9-4F49-B3FB-9033D8EBB2CE.thumb.jpeg.f34f5295cb99ba7e4d0c7846109d5676.jpeg

I really like how it looks with its curves and what have you, and the colour, it suits other stuff I have.

And when I’m not using it I just close the door for a clean look.

FE1ED772-601C-47D9-815D-AED899761D2E.thumb.jpeg.4d3aca71cc26ef355b7a09007e87f6fc.jpeg

The Xbox is on the other side.

41B51B81-4F3E-4E17-A3F0-5971AF849BDB.thumb.jpeg.679831edfc83e860e2cab43bde8892ba.jpeg

I honestly think the PS5 looks nicer. 

I hear those blue consoles run pretty hot.

45 minutes ago, JPL said:

You saying I live in the 90’s?!

Well I don’t know ;)

This is the lounge I should add, so it has to look a bit more like an adult space, but I do like everything more on the minimal side.

Upstairs in the game room Is another matter :ph34r:

Anyway how does everyone else store their PS5, do you have it proudly on display or do you hide it away? 

Mine's horizontally just sat right out on a 3-tiered set of glass shelves, but I'm not particularly bothered about hiding stuff away.

My partner doesn't care and we don't really have people over to judge, so f it.